Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 12:37 PM

5 posts, read 65,169 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Jacksonville for about 7 years now, and once my husband returns from Kuwait (in 2 weeks) we are looking at buying a house. I've actually got one all picked out and put down a binder deposit on it and we're going through the paperwork so when he comes home all he has to do is sign on the dotted line! At least that is the plan.

We will be brand new homeowners and have never had homeowners insurance, obviously. I've called around for quotes and received a good one from an AllState agent .. although it's not with AllState since he said they are not writing policies now. The company is with Cypress Property and Casualty Insurance.

Does any one have any dealings with them?? I've looked them up in the BBB and they had 2 complaints in the last 36 months which is good I thought.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 12:40 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,910,188 times
have you checked citizens.? i checked everybody in my area and they were the least expensive.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:45 PM

Thank you .. I will definitely check them as well!! Did you go with Citizens? They are good and reputable?

Old 09-05-2007, 12:49 PM

788 posts, read 2,110,948 times
Check out your state insurance dept website - they might have some info for you - homeowners is wild right now in FL

Old 09-05-2007, 06:16 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,450,461 times
Allstate was never a good insurance company anyway, they just spent a lot on marketing and had a recognizable name. Same goes for State Farm. I'd avoid them both.

I speak from experience because I HAD Allstate...well, my husband had them and when I signed up for the husband, Allstate came along with the package .

Allstate dropped us, as they did tons of Floridians. No rhyme or reason - never had a claim, always paid on time, excellent credit, etc., etc.

Anyway, I had a steep learning curve on Homeowner's Insurance, and here's the short of it:

These companies PAY - and that's what matters if you ever had a problem:

AMICA: Excellent insurer, expensive, possibly too expensive for a first-time homebuyer, but if you want to give them a try, call them direct - no need for an agent with this one.

LIBERTY MUTUAL: May not be writing policies, you'd have to check.

TOWER HILL: A Florida-based insurer, so they're always writing policies, good rates, good insurer - I'd recommend trying them (you'll need a broker/agent).

FLORIDA FAMILY: Also a Florida-based insurer, they're a good back-up if you can't go with one of the above listed companies.

Check the websites to find an agent who is authorized with these companies in case your isn't.

And now a word on Citizens: Don't go with them unless it is a LAST RESORT! Citizens is NOT a private insurance company. They are a goverment high risk pool. If you/your home is not high risk, you are far better off going with a private insurer like the ones above before even considering Citizens. Citizens used to be outrageously expensive, but they have been forced to lower their rates recently. Still, most agents will tell you that once you go with Citizens you are likely stuck with Citizens - private insurers don't want to pick up a house that has been deemed "high risk" enough to warrant Citizens insurance. In fact, the rule is you can't even go with Citizen's until you've been rejected by private insurers first (though they may be getting more lax with that now, lots of changes lately).

Hope that helps .

Old 09-05-2007, 06:29 PM

95 posts, read 427,393 times
I have never heard from this company, but if it has anything to do with All-State stay away. I had many friends that lived in the Gulf Coast and when Katrina hit. They are still in ligation with State Farm, NationWide and All State. One of them offered her 7K for the roof, but nothing for the house. the house was gone.

I have been with American Stragtic (mis-spelled)for about 5 years now. Find yourself an agent that brokers through them. Hope this is helpful.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the replies!! I did some more researching .. and I called an agent for Tower Hill .. but they are also and agent for ASI (American Strategic Insurance Group) and they are the lowest by far and works with the builder that we're using giving different builder discounts.

I know there is one person above that has dealt with ASI .. has anyone else dealt with them?

Old 10-09-2007, 09:21 PM

3 posts, read 28,338 times
I know it's been a while since you posted but hope you get this before you get your insurance. I'm active duty in the Navy and we switched from Allstate to USAA recently and they are great. It's only available to military (active and reserve). I know the price for auto insurance is great along with the service. From what I've been told it's the same for home owners insurance. Hope his helps. We'll be retiring out there come next summer, can't wait.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:28 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,111,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtwedt View Post
I know it's been a while since you posted but hope you get this before you get your insurance. I'm active duty in the Navy and we switched from Allstate to USAA recently and they are great. It's only available to military (active and reserve). I know the price for auto insurance is great along with the service. From what I've been told it's the same for home owners insurance. Hope his helps. We'll be retiring out there come next summer, can't wait.
I was thinking the same thing, if you have the chance get USAA .
I have had them for 30 years. The also have a great mortgage division, when we thought we were relocating their rates and closing costs were the lowest.

karla

Old 06-04-2010, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 17,883 times
Don't use Tower Hill. They canceled me for ridiculous reasons and didn't even give me any time to correct the issues. If this is how the treat customers during good times, I'd hate to have them when I need to make a claim.

http://cdhallman.blogspot.com/2010/05/goodbye-and-good-riddance-tower-hill.html
http://cdhallman.blogspot.com/2010/0...ower-hill.html

Last edited by challman; 06-04-2010 at 02:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: