Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 06:41 AM

22 posts, read 75,149 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Europe to Anastasia in St. Augustine, Florida. I have a modest online business so I do not need to commute.

(In fact for eight years in Boston and eight years in Europe we have not had a car and never missed it. We can bike and we order things online. )

That being said, biking the Island is pretty easy as it is not that big. We can bike to Publix I think?

That being said, in theory can we live just on the Island and not really have to go into the town that often?

I just need a quiet place to rent and work.

Besides the beautiful beaches are there places for kids to play or playgrounds etc?

Rentals, is is better to rent a house, apartment or a condo? Of course it all depends on what you like but I am curious about people's impression of these types on rentals on the Island.

I noticed Palm coast is cheaper, is it a big step down from the Charm of St. Augustine?

I notice Palatka is much cheaper but I guess that is a different world?

Since we want to buy a house in the next couple of years or sooner, I would rather keep the rent down. So 800 to 1000 for a two bedroom in good condition, is this possible? I do see prices on craigslist and wonder how much room for negotiation?

Anything else about the Island any one can tell me? I think life is fairly nice and peaceful there. Is it boring?

We are planning on moving October 1st. Do prices fall in September? We are thinking of waiting until then until we find a place.

Are snakes or critters a big problem?

Any recommendations?

A big thank you, this is a big move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 07:09 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,583 times
I hail from Europe and have a rental home on Anastasia island.
Biking the Island is pretty easy but it is bigger than you think from one end to Publix is 2 miles and it can be either very hot and humid or very cold when you bike
In theory you can live just on the Island but prices are cheaper on the mainland as there is more competition.
There are places for kids to play a good elementry school with attached playground.
Plenty of people rent and it is a ..."beach bum community"
Palm coast is much older retiree community and does not have the charm of St. Augustine.
Palatka is not for a European a different world.
800 to 1000 for a two bedroom in good condition is doable but it will be a small condo and a 3/2 bed house would be about 1000 to 14000
Life is fairly nice and peaceful and it is what you make of it.

Prices do not fall in September. In fact there will be less availability as the students from college are back then
Snakes or critters are Florida natural problems.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:45 AM

1,071 posts, read 2,895,610 times
To add to what Peter has said---Regarding transportation: We do have a very nice, reliable little public transportation system in the St. Augustine area named the Sunshine Bus. It has won national awards for their service model. People who rely on cars for transportation do not often know what a wonderful service it provides. It is $1 per trip and there is an extensive printed schedule showing all the routes, transfer points, etc. I know many people in the St. Augustine area who do not own a car, so they walk, bike and use the Sunshine Bus. If you have grown accustomed to this lifestyle, you can function very well here. Regarding possible areas to look for housing: In my opinion--- Palatka would be a horrible choice for you so scratch that off your list permanently. Palm Coast would be a huge quality of life regression from St. Augustine. I would concentrate on looking in the immediate St. Augustine area---Anastasia Island north of Owens Ave, in the City of St. Augustine south of the intersect of US 1 and San Marco Ave and in general anything east of US 1 in the City and in the county areas nearest to grocery market shopping areas would be fine if you want to walk or bike to your shopping. Anything outsdide of these parameters could be dangerous to walk or bike due to lack of sidewalks and safe bike lanes. I would highly suggest looking in St. Augustine Shores if you want a moderately priced, family friendly area that has sidewalks and is very bikeable to shopping, parks, churches, etc. The Sunshine Bus runs a route through there also. Best Wishes in your search.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:24 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,520 times
Not sure what part of Europe you are from but coming from someone who just recently got back from the southeast coast of England across from Calais, Fr, I can tell you that you will be happy with the weather here versus the miserable rainy damp weather I left behind in Europe. Yes, it does get intensely hot and humid here but you will get a breather in Anastasia being near to the water.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:32 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,506,801 times
If you can survive in Europe (especially anywhere in that c%u#t@r*u+k called France) You can survive anywhere on Anastasia Island (even living on the beach in a packing crate) IMO its much better to rent first and buy later after seeing if you even like the location. Palm Coast would be a terrible choice as to limited beach access and geriatric neighborhoods. Palatka (Fun old Donald Ross golf course) nice little town if you want to have to learn to converse in BUBBAese. $800-1000 is doable for rent just not right on the beach. It's Florida of course there are snakes and critters. Unlike South Florida which has a High and a Low season, Summer being the low season because its just to damn hot for most snowbirds down here. There is no real tourist season in St Augustine, tourist are there basically year round. In St Augustine you may want to reconsider getting a car even a Cooper Mini would do, as some necessary things are just to far away to bike/walk to

Old 07-14-2011, 07:16 AM

22 posts, read 75,149 times
First, thank you very much for the kind replies. I like this forum as the people are polite.

We are dual US - EU citizens so we have experienced a lot of both sides of the Atlantic. No hard weather stories concern me as I have experienced both extremes. I live now in Krakow, Poland and it is so dark and cold and rainy here much of the year. It was in the 40s and 50s -fahrenheit- a couple of weeks ago. Now it is over 90 degrees. Very unstable weather here.

I think the Island will fit our lifestyle fine as we are athletic and outdoor type and a young family. I just need a place to focus on my online work. I write software etc.

I think waiting to buy is good advice also. I have been tempted to just buy a home, but we will rent and wait until we get there and get a feel for the area.

We will focus our search on condos or appartments on the Island, not right on the beach. Palm and Palatka are off my list, thanks for the headsup.

If anyone has a specific relator or rental company let me know. - Other wise I will try craigslist. 800-1000 with two bedroom with 1 ro 2 baths what we will aim for.
I just see a lot of homes on the market and there has to be someone who will be willing to rent to responsible people.

Since I work online I guess as soon as I find a place I will contact an Internet company, I guess comcast. It is a huge move for us. We will have to rent a car for a week or so, to shop and get everything set up. Right now it is stressful but I think it will be all worth it.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:32 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,506,801 times
Peter the Brit, who replied to your thread first. Is a real estate agent located down in St Augustine, and from what I have seen since I have been in this forum (He) is very helpful and knowledgeable with all the real estate posts in here. And more importantly honest with all his advise and answers. If I was considering St Augustine I would not hesitate to call on Peter the Brit. And I hope you enjoy your move, to St Augustine in the near future.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:38 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,583 times
Madcap
Thanks for those kind words I hope I deserve them.!

Old 07-14-2011, 09:07 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,895,610 times
Here's the link to the Sunshine Bus Company so you can become familiar with our public transportation system. The Sunshine Bus Company - St. Johns County's Public Bus System

Old 07-18-2011, 06:39 AM

23 posts, read 44,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
If you can survive in Europe (especially anywhere in that c%u#t@r*u+k called France) You can survive anywhere on Anastasia Island (even living on the beach in a packing crate) IMO its much better to rent first and buy later after seeing if you even like the location. Palm Coast would be a terrible choice as to limited beach access and geriatric neighborhoods. Palatka (Fun old Donald Ross golf course) nice little town if you want to have to learn to converse in BUBBAese. $800-1000 is doable for rent just not right on the beach. It's Florida of course there are snakes and critters. Unlike South Florida which has a High and a Low season, Summer being the low season because its just to damn hot for most snowbirds down here. There is no real tourist season in St Augustine, tourist are there basically year round. In St Augustine you may want to reconsider getting a car even a Cooper Mini would do, as some necessary things are just to far away to bike/walk to

What are you talking about? France is nicer than anywhere in the USA! How typical of a person who has never been outside of the USA, I understand you I am half American and half European. I am so ashamed to be half American though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville