Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 02:18 PM

801 posts, read 1,514,555 times

Advertisements

I don't know why but I thought the beaches were one of the most conversative areas in Jacksonville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 02:54 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,467,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFtoATL View Post
Well, my husband had a choice between Atlanta and Jacksonville, as the department he will be in has a team in both cities. We chose Jacksonville because of the beaches..mainly.
I grew up in the BA and my wife is from Jax area. I have visited a few times-I don't know that much about the city of JAX 'cause we always end up in Orange Park where my in laws live, but I will tell you that the beaches around JAX/St Augustine are pretty awesome. I enjoy them much more than California Beaches.

You can actually get in the water just about any time of year. Not so in N California as you well know. No stunning headlands and cliffs, but good times in the surf

Old 05-24-2011, 03:01 PM

278 posts, read 665,134 times
Man, my wife and I are working on moving from Jax to San Fran.

I hate to say this but you are going to be in for a rude awakening here in Jax. Yeah, you'll find people you get along with, and there are certainly things to do, but Jacksonville doesn't hold a candle to San Francisco. But good luck!

Old 06-09-2011, 09:42 PM

16 posts, read 28,865 times
The beaches are walkable. OK not a ton of fine dining, but breakfast dots, Mexican, sushi, seafood, some bars, outdoor festivals (blues festival, symphony/comedy's in the Oceanside park), free moonlight movies on the lawn... We live 5 blocks from beach & couldn't love it more! Instant entertainment, the ability to take grab a bite or drink by walking out the door & walking a few minutes. Yes, Jax can be ultra-conservative, which was a bit tough for us to get used to. But we really wanted to be near beach & live somewhere that we could actually bike or walk to entertainment & events. This is why we are heartsick to be relocating. Reply if you'd like more info on beaches

Old 06-16-2011, 02:22 PM

14 posts, read 46,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxbchmom View Post
The beaches are walkable. OK not a ton of fine dining, but breakfast dots, Mexican, sushi, seafood, some bars, outdoor festivals (blues festival, symphony/comedy's in the Oceanside park), free moonlight movies on the lawn... We live 5 blocks from beach & couldn't love it more! Instant entertainment, the ability to take grab a bite or drink by walking out the door & walking a few minutes. Yes, Jax can be ultra-conservative, which was a bit tough for us to get used to. But we really wanted to be near beach & live somewhere that we could actually bike or walk to entertainment & events. This is why we are heartsick to be relocating. Reply if you'd like more info on beaches
It's my understanding that some parts of Jax Beach are nice and safe and crime-free while others are not so much. Do you have any insight into what specific parts are nice?

Old 06-16-2011, 03:14 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,512,329 times
No area is totally crime free or totally safe but... IMO in a descending order of safe to not so safe the beaches areas go:
Ponte Vedre Beach ... real nice and real expensive
Seminole Beach ... real nice a little less expensive than above
Atlantic Beach ... nice and less expensive than above
Neptune Beach ... nice and about the same as above expense wise
South Jax Beach ... fairly nice and a little less expensive as above
North Jax Beach ... less nice but still OK but less expensive also
Jax Beach ... it is what it is, not so nice to live in, and more commercial

In all but Ponte Vedre, Seminole, and Atlantic Beaches the area on 3rd. street is commercial and subject to a lot of traffic that brings all elements of society together. As in Jax beach the oceanfront areas or the strip is frequented by a lot of tourists and young people and a lot of alcohol is served, and that is not a good mixture for safety. There are a lot of commercial properties on A-1-A in Ponte Vedre, so a lot of traffic. Especially during TPC week in May.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:23 PM

705 posts, read 1,576,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFtoATL View Post
Yes, we will be visiting over the Memorial Day weekend.....You have all been so welcoming, and I will be sure to use this site as a resource in the future as well. Thank you!
So,....what happened? Did you visit? What were your impressions?

Old 06-25-2011, 02:40 AM

Hi!Sorry just getting around to answering your question. Most of the crime in Jax Beach is limited to a small area (near intersection of Beach Blvd & 3rd St/A1A). There are 3 roads that take you out to the beach from town: JTB (J. Turner Butler Hwy.), Beach Blvd & Atlantic Blvd. These are also the areas with the most traffic, etc. The 3-4 blocks north of Beach Blvd along the beach is where you'll find the bars & nightclubs. It's also where you'll find some vagrants. Most of the crime happens late at night & consists of cars getting broken into.

Also there is a small black neighborhood for about 3 blocks from say 2nd to 5th Ave S. This area tends to have crime as well.

That being said: I live on 11th Ave. S. (11 blocks S of Beach Blvd & 8 blocks S of the "projects", 5 blocks from the beach) and it is a quiet, friendly, well-maintained neighborhood. There is a good bit of pedestrian & bike traffic, but it's mostly the same faces you'll see again & again. We love being able to walk or bike out the door & be able to be at the beach, out for breakfast or a drink in minutes. There is a park with a little amphitheater right beside the beach near Beach Blvd where they have festivals & concerts (free outdoor moonlight movies & jazz/pops concerts in summer, blues festival & seafood festival & Easter sunrise service in spring). Fall & winter tend to be quieter times at the beach. The sunrise service is multiple-denominational & even if you aren't religious is so beautiful to watch the sun rise on the beach on Easter morning. We go to a lot of these events on our bikes or taking my now 3-yr-old son in stroller & have never been concerned with safety (beyond bad drivers). The surrounding streets are usually closed for events. Nice to be able to attend without hassle of finding parking, etc,

Other events: Of course 4th of July fireworks & festivities, the air show featuring the blue angels, which draws about 100,000 viewers, in NOvember every other year. Lasts all weekend long. Very cool to grab a picnic & beach chair, walk down the street to beach & watch the planes buzz right over you!
See more info about Jax Beach events here:
Special Events | City of Jacksonville Beach

Old 06-25-2011, 03:06 AM

If you want a real sense of the crime here, take a look at the Beaches Leader, the twice-weekly newspaper for the beaches (Jax Beach, Neptune Beach, Atlantic Bch & Ponte vedra beach).
www.beachesleader.com
Or contact the Jax Bch Police Dept

Every issue has a police blotter listing every single crime in each ot these areas. You'll soon see the crime is mostly small-time (car break-ins, drunk & disorderlies, fights) and is for the most part occurring in a few block radius in Jax Bch: the commercial bar/entertainment district at night.

So if you follow common sense, you should be OK: Don't walk beach late at night, esp. On your own. Don't leave your purse, wallet or other valuables in your car in plain sight. Lock your doors & keep your garage door shut when you're not around.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:40 PM

147 posts, read 286,725 times
OK as stated in another thread, I am new to the Jacksonville area, but the beach area intrigues me some. I can imagine lazing on the beach and catching some rays all day. But is it a livable area if one is handicapped and has no car. Might one be able to amble from the beach to the food market to a decent eatery, to a cool night spot to catch some tunes, a beer and a sweet young things attention. Seriously is a car a requirement at the beach if one doesnt have to go to work or take kids to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville