Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 01:21 AM

6 posts, read 10,956 times

Advertisements

projectmaxiums, thank you for your input. Yes, we will be visiting over the Memorial Day weekend. Thanks for the heads up about the jazz festival.
Those lofts seem like a really nice place. We'll be sure to check them out.
Not so sure about the other condos/apartments. We do appreciate a more unique feel of a neighborhood and are not too keen on the cookie cutter subdivisions. What makes the whole move even harder is the fact that we really love San Francisco: the diversity (and level of education) of people we meet, the many different top notch restaurants, being able to walk everywhere, the hustle of the big city (while researching things I found out that population density in SF is 27 times bigger than the density in Jacksonville), open mindedness and tolerance, liberal thinking, being so close to the best universities in the US, world class theater and opera performances always nearby, etc. The list seems endless! We won't miss the crazy expensive rents, paying for parking (if you can find it) everywhere, the fog and mostly cold temperatures throughout the year. It's definitely going to be an interesting experience.

You have all been so welcoming, and I will be sure to use this site as a resource in the future as well. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 10:31 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,168,764 times
Assuming the weather cooperates, Jazz Fest will be a welcome experience for ya.
Make a Scene Downtown - Jacksonville Jazz Festival, Friday 5/27

Hate to eliminate other possibilities before you see them, but I think you definitely ought to just focus on Riverside near Five Points or Avondale near the Shoppes. They've got the most walkability, unique shops, character, open mindedness and tolerance, arts, etc. The commute to work won't be so friendly though during normal rush hour.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:40 PM

705 posts, read 1,576,130 times
Were you going to move to ATL at some point? What happened?

Old 05-18-2011, 10:26 PM

6 posts, read 10,956 times
Well, my husband had a choice between Atlanta and Jacksonville, as the department he will be in has a team in both cities. We chose Jacksonville because of the beaches..mainly.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:40 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,574,050 times
Oh no....Now you are gonna get a bunch of people telling you that you should have chosen Atlanta. Enjoy your time in Jax.. def not San Francisco. Really anywhere is what you make it. Its fun to live in and visit different areas, how boring would it be if everywhere was the same. Sadly much of America is the same, Applebees by the Macys in the Mall or as they call them now "Town Centres"

My mother-in-law is from Palo Alto and has lived here for over 40 years, her brother doesn't like Florida because its "too flat and hot," but she likes it here... she doesn't like the cool marine air of San Francisco

Old 05-19-2011, 12:56 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,512,329 times
OMG you are leaving SFO and choose JAX over ATL what were you thinking......Just Kidding. Like jwolfer said above all 3 are totally different and each unique in its own way. Here's wishing you good luck on your upcoming move. Any place can be great if your willing to accept it for what it is. And dont crucify it for what it is not.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:34 PM

110 posts, read 182,996 times
Interesting viewpoints. We are working on a move to Jacksonville because we hope and expect it will be MORE liberal than where we live now (Alabama). It just HAS to be, right? After long years in Oregon, nothing in the southeast seems progressive in any way, but we are learning to appreciate the good it does have to offer, encourage "evolution" and contribute something positive wherever we find the opportunity. Maybe you will find much to enjoy - hope so.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:01 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,574,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavoufl View Post
Interesting viewpoints. We are working on a move to Jacksonville because we hope and expect it will be MORE liberal than where we live now (Alabama). It just HAS to be, right? After long years in Oregon, nothing in the southeast seems progressive in any way, but we are learning to appreciate the good it does have to offer, encourage "evolution" and contribute something positive wherever we find the opportunity. Maybe you will find much to enjoy - hope so.
Imagine that Jax being more liberal than a place. Riverside/Avondale, San Marco or maybe the beaches would be the most liberal parts of Jax.

My great-grandparents lived in a commune called NewLlano in SW Louisiana in the 1920s. There was quite of bit of "progressive thinking" in the rural South at the time. My cousin is active in the Florida Democrat Party and he grew up in Clay County the most Republican county in the state.

Most of the family is libertarian leaning

Old 05-24-2011, 12:21 PM

5,225 posts, read 6,150,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFtoATL View Post
projectmaxiums, thank you for your input. Yes, we will be visiting over the Memorial Day weekend. Thanks for the heads up about the jazz festival.
Those lofts seem like a really nice place. We'll be sure to check them out.
Not so sure about the other condos/apartments. We do appreciate a more unique feel of a neighborhood and are not too keen on the cookie cutter subdivisions. What makes the whole move even harder is the fact that we really love San Francisco: the diversity (and level of education) of people we meet, the many different top notch restaurants, being able to walk everywhere, the hustle of the big city (while researching things I found out that population density in SF is 27 times bigger than the density in Jacksonville), open mindedness and tolerance, liberal thinking, being so close to the best universities in the US, world class theater and opera performances always nearby, etc. The list seems endless! We won't miss the crazy expensive rents, paying for parking (if you can find it) everywhere, the fog and mostly cold temperatures throughout the year. It's definitely going to be an interesting experience.

You have all been so welcoming, and I will be sure to use this site as a

resource in the future as well. Thank you!
If you really love SF I think it would be a hard transition for you in my opinion. The two could not be farther apart. As far as politics go, I have never really thought about or against moving somewhere because of the political climate or a party line in that area. That seems pretty far out there.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:23 PM

5,225 posts, read 6,150,147 times
PS Good luck, I hope you find something to your liking here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville