Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 12:09 PM

139 posts, read 355,881 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of going to see the show Hairspray at the Alhambra theater. how are the shows and the food? Would it be ok to bring a 9 yr old to an evening performance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 05:26 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,517,927 times
Matthew Medure is now the executive chef at the Alhambra:

Menu

He's a big deal chef from JAX. Doubt his "A" game is at Alhambra - but I suspect it's ok.

Have you ever been to dinner theater before? I used to go when I was a kid in New Jersey (have never been to the Alhambra here). It is usually ok food with decent performances. Probably wouldn't satisfy a real "foodie" - or a real theater "maven" - but the shows can be fun. I don't see why a 9 year old wouldn't be ok there. Unless he/she got bored or did anything to annoy other customers.

FWIW - I think Hairspray has some pretty adult content. The music appeals to those of us from the "doo-wop" era (perhaps others). And we are adults - and senior adults at that . But - more importantly - it has significant race discrimination issues going on during the course of the show (unless the Alhambra edits the original). Don't know whether this would bore a 9 year old - or lead to questions - or something else. And - if I recall correctly - one of the main characters in Hairspray is usually a guy who dresses in drag to play a woman. Might lead to more questions. I suspect all of this will go totally over the head of a 9 year old - but I'd be prepared to answer questions (sometimes kids are smarter than we think they are!). If I had a 9 year old - I'd take him/her to the show and answer any questions - because I think it's a really good show (saw it at the FTU center). Robyn

P.S. This reminds me of an old southern joke. The kid who said "yes sir - thank you sir - etc." to every person he met - even women. And when his mother was asked about this - her response was - we're just teaching him manners now - later we'll teach him about sex .

Old 02-23-2011, 11:34 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,181,090 times
The food is decent. Haven't seen the hairspray show yet but I will; two of my friends are in it.

Occasionally they will have a disclaimer about language or loud noises when necessary, so I'm not sure about this musical. I haven't seen it before...but all in all I think it's a good time.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:54 AM

139 posts, read 355,881 times
We're not expecting Broadway caliber performances or gourmet food at a dinner theater, just a fun night out. My daughter saw the Hairspray movie and handled it well. Was a great opportunity to explain race issues. Love the song "Good Morning Baltimore" so hope they perform it. Not a doo wop fan - way before my time, but like the 60s sound.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:21 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,286,915 times
It sounds like Alhambra is just what your looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville