Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 10:35 PM

11 posts, read 28,570 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Jacksonville in the next few months and looking for the best family friendly areas. I will be working in downtown and looking to spend around $200-$300k or so on a decent home in an excellent school district.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 10:55 AM

615 posts, read 1,714,938 times
You can do a search and find a bunch of suggestions, but in my opinion, since schools are an important factor, I'd focus on St Johns County. We live in Nocatee and my husband drives to the north side of town for work, so downtown would definitely be managable.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:08 PM

278 posts, read 665,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyC View Post
I am moving to Jacksonville in the next few months and looking for the best family friendly areas. I will be working in downtown and looking to spend around $200-$300k or so on a decent home in an excellent school district.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Let me preface these comments with the fact that I have no children. I attended Duval County Public Schools in the 1980s and 1990s and am a moderately successful adult with no criminal record!

I think Jacksonville schools are unfairly maligned, in many cases. There are certainly terrible schools but there are also some pretty good schools. In the 32207 area code (on the Southside, bordering the St Johns, about 5 to 10 minutes from downtown) there are Hendricks Avenue Elementary and Douglas Anderson School of the Arts (high school). Excellent schools by any standard. The 32207 area code offers single family homes ranging in price from the $100s to several million. There are many family-friendly neighborhoods in the San Marco and St Nicholas areas.

You'll also be advised by some forum members that you should consider Riverside and Historic Springfield. I know nothing about the schools in those areas so I couldn't comment. The Historic Springfield area is kind of an oasis - family friendly but surrounded by an unfriendly ghetto. Beautiful old homes though -- but be prepared to roll up your sleeves and do some restoration! Riverside is similar to San Marco only "grittier" and more urban.

Of course, St Johns County is also an option, but it seems like that would be an awfully long commute if you're working downtown. I could be mistaken though since I've never driven it.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:27 PM

12 posts, read 44,168 times
Oakleaf, which is right on the Duval/Clay County border and 30-45 minutes from downtown, is a really nice family-friendly area. The neighborhood is less than 5 years old but I've heard great things about the schools.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,452 times
We will be moving to Jacksonville from New Orleans, in 2 weeks. I have heard a lot of good things about the St. Johns county schools and that Mandarin is also a good area, but we are still undecided!

Old 12-19-2010, 05:07 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,288,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bativac View Post
Let me preface these comments with the fact that I have no children. I attended Duval County Public Schools in the 1980s and 1990s and am a moderately successful adult with no criminal record!
+ 1

Also, for school info, this thread should help: https://www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...y-schools.html

Old 12-19-2010, 04:01 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,288,890 times
hey join the club! this public school child is doing great!

Old 12-19-2010, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,438 times
We live on Doctor's Lake in Orange Park. The prices are really good right now, and if you like living on the water, this is a great spot. It's about a six minute drive to 295 which will get you right downtown, or you can drive straight in on 17. There are biking and walking trails all around us, we are close to the library, and several great schools including Orange Park Elementary, a concept school. We are right down the street from St. John's, a private school. Our street has it's own private boat dock , and the Orange Park people are wonderful. Give it a look!

Old 12-21-2010, 09:53 PM

237 posts, read 497,860 times
When I first moved here I moved to St. Johns County for the Schools, but it was way to remote for me. After my daughter graduated I moved to Mandarin. For the most part the whold area is nice and safe and it is close to everything and according to Newsweek rated Mandarin High School 97th in the nation. But to be honest in my opinion does not compare to the St Johns County Schoools.

America's Best High Schools: The List - Newsweek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville