Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 06:47 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,888,681 times

Advertisements

Ok, I've heard a few (bad) things about Duval County schools. My job is in Duval County and was wondering if there are any decent schools in Duval. If so, where? Looking for a place to rent and would like to be (somewhat) close to the office if I can help it. If I can't find any decent schools I'll drive farther to St. Johns County where I hear schools are better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 08:10 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,295,395 times
Sure.

Here ya go: http://schools.jacksonville.com/fcat...&action=Search

You'll note that 76 are A/B, 43 are C and 11 are D/F.

Also, there are many N/A due to evaluation irregularities, mostly with some of the High Schools.

This has caused a lot of contraversey around his year's ratings. They used a different rating company, and there are many indications that some of the ratings aren't "accurate". In fact the city may be taking legal action against the company beacuse far too many school showed a decline where all other indicators didn't, and many of the school's evaluations (with a N/A) aren't even finished yet - extremely overdue.

Something about the procedure that the new company used.

Although judging a school by 1 standardized test is hardly an accurate way of measuring these things anyways. It's an indicator, certainly not a definitive measure.

Since 2010's rating aren't finished and/or accurate, here's some info from last year's ratings:

Big Gains in Duval School Grades - Local News on wokv.com (http://wokv.com/localnews/2009/06/big-gains-expected-in-duval-sc.html - broken link)

Duval superintendent given high rating by board | jacksonville.com

Most School Grades Up, But State Flunks 8 In Duval County - Education News Story - WJXT Jacksonville (http://www.news4jax.com/education/16819360/detail.html - broken link)

Also:

DISTRICT GRADES FOR 2009

Baker County -- B

Clay County -- A

Duval County -- B

Flagler County -- A

Nassau County -- A

Putnam County -- C

St. Johns County -- A

Volusia County -- A

per St. Augustine paper not too long ago

Oh, none of this includes private schools either, which are usually highly rated as wel.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:03 PM

5 posts, read 8,601 times
Ok, I've heard a few (bad) things about Duval County schools. My job is in Duval County and was wondering if there are any decent schools in Duval. If so, where? Looking for a place to rent and would like to be (somewhat) close to the office if I can help it. If I can't find any decent schools I'll drive farther to St. Johns County where I hear schools are better.

Rick,

Check out the Mandarin area as that high is school is rated an A and they do have several apartments around. If you move within two miles of the school then your child will have to walk to school. something to think about. The Paddock Club has been a nice place to live and far enough away for the kids to use the bus to both middle and high school.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:28 AM

14 posts, read 45,508 times
Default Ponte Vedra Beach

Look at Ponte Vedra Beach area. Tons of rentals and so close to JTB (Butler Blvd) but in St Johns County. You can probably find a great condo to rent for a good price.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctxwa View Post

Check out the Mandarin area as that high is school is rated an A and they do have several apartments around. If you move within two miles of the school then your child will have to walk to school. something to think about. The Paddock Club has been a nice place to live and far enough away for the kids to use the bus to both middle and high school.
Been checking the area. Looks to be reasonable rents and not terribly far from where I work. Looks like St. John's County and Duvall County meet in the middle (sort of)?

Not looking for an apartment, we need to rent a house as we've got 2 kids and an apartment/townhouse just wouldn't be the best. Not fair to the neighbors with 2 little boys in the house...

Old 10-11-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srpvb View Post
Look at Ponte Vedra Beach area. Tons of rentals and so close to JTB (Butler Blvd) but in St Johns County. You can probably find a great condo to rent for a good price.
I was looking at places there today. Unfortunately, there seem to be a TON of condos but not many houses. Don't really want to go back into a condo with 2 little boys.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Sure.

Here ya go: http://schools.jacksonville.com/fcat...&action=Search

You'll note that 76 are A/B, 43 are C and 11 are D/F.

Also, there are many N/A due to evaluation irregularities, mostly with some of the High Schools.

This has caused a lot of contraversey around his year's ratings. They used a different rating company, and there are many indications that some of the ratings aren't "accurate". In fact the city may be taking legal action against the company beacuse far too many school showed a decline where all other indicators didn't, and many of the school's evaluations (with a N/A) aren't even finished yet - extremely overdue.

Something about the procedure that the new company used.

Although judging a school by 1 standardized test is hardly an accurate way of measuring these things anyways. It's an indicator, certainly not a definitive measure.

Since 2010's rating aren't finished and/or accurate, here's some info from last year's ratings:

Big Gains in Duval School Grades - Local News on wokv.com (http://wokv.com/localnews/2009/06/big-gains-expected-in-duval-sc.html - broken link)

Duval superintendent given high rating by board | jacksonville.com

Most School Grades Up, But State Flunks 8 In Duval County - Education News Story - WJXT Jacksonville (http://www.news4jax.com/education/16819360/detail.html - broken link)

Also:

DISTRICT GRADES FOR 2009

Baker County -- B

Clay County -- A

Duval County -- B

Flagler County -- A

Nassau County -- A

Putnam County -- C

St. Johns County -- A

Volusia County -- A

per St. Augustine paper not too long ago

Oh, none of this includes private schools either, which are usually highly rated as wel.
Thanks so much for the info!!!!

Old 10-18-2010, 03:41 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,545,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
I was looking at places there today. Unfortunately, there seem to be a TON of condos but not many houses. Don't really want to go back into a condo with 2 little boys.
Ponte Vedra Beach proper is mostly single family houses - not condos. But there are very few house rentals on the market right now (most people who are looking to rent long term usually get their places on the market before school starts). I've looked for some other people recently - there are some older but ok houses - a couple in Sawgrass - in the $2300-2600/month range. A few that are cheaper but crummy looking even in the ads - and a fair number that are a lot more expensive.

fsu813 posted a list of rentals in another thread. I took a quick look for some other people - and really liked this house:

http://www.traditionsjax.com/propert...v=n&ids=F17739

I did a little background research - and couldn't find anything wrong with it. Although it is in Duval County - the local elementary school - Hendricks Avenue - is top rate (don't know anything about the middle or high school situation). Why don't you take a look (and no - I am not a real estate agent ). Robyn

Old 10-18-2010, 07:07 PM

615 posts, read 1,716,244 times
The problem with schools (generally speaking, not just Duval) is not as much finding decent elementary (or middle school) that pulls from a smaller area, but finding good high schools. The best 2 in the county are really good, but not everyone can get into those. Public high schools feed from a very large geographic area, so when you consider that there is a strong correlation between poverty and a school's success, it's something to consider.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Ponte Vedra Beach proper is mostly single family houses - not condos. But there are very few house rentals on the market right now (most people who are looking to rent long term usually get their places on the market before school starts). I've looked for some other people recently - there are some older but ok houses - a couple in Sawgrass - in the $2300-2600/month range. A few that are cheaper but crummy looking even in the ads - and a fair number that are a lot more expensive.

fsu813 posted a list of rentals in another thread. I took a quick look for some other people - and really liked this house:

Traditions Realty - Property Details for MLS# 550726

I did a little background research - and couldn't find anything wrong with it. Although it is in Duval County - the local elementary school - Hendricks Avenue - is top rate (don't know anything about the middle or high school situation). Why don't you take a look (and no - I am not a real estate agent ). Robyn
Thanks. Looks great, just more than I want to spend at the moment. We've been struggling for quite a while and we're getting back on our feet so trying to keep the rent down as much as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville