Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,867 times

Advertisements

My husband is being transferred to the Jackson area. We're a mixed race couple with a child, which is not a big deal where we currently live (Fort Lauderdale, FL). I'm a little nervous about moving to Mississippi. I was wondering if anyone had some insight about mixed race relationships are looked at in the area.
Also, we'd live to move to the suburbs as I've heard mostly bad things about the city of Jackson. Which suburbs are most recommended? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 01:18 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,393,410 times
Jackson tends to be more progressive than it's suburbs. That's not to say you can't find peace outside of Jackson, but I would imagine you would be able to find an area that feels more comfortable in one of Jackson's communities, being that you are a mixed race couple. I live in Jackson and I am friends with a gay mixed race couple. Perhaps you should visit Fondren and Belhaven, or maybe some of the neighborhoods along Ridgewood Rd and Meadowbrook Rd. How old is your child and what type of education do you prefer (public, private, etc)?

I'm not sure what you've heard about Jackson, but I would be glad to answer any questions you might have.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:21 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,585,675 times
I can't completely answer that question, but as a Mississippian born and raised I will tell you how I feel about it. I think that if you find someone you love and they love you it doesn't matter what color you are. I wouldn't give you a second look, but i'm sure a few would, just like in many states.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:59 PM

809 posts, read 1,862,720 times
nervous? LOL...this ain't Mississippi Burning 2010, although some would wish we all could revisit that lifestyle.... You won't get jeers if that's what you're thinking. Not in Jackson at least. not sure about surrounding towns . And although Jacksonians tend to date amongst themselves, I've known quite a few "couples" , meaning white baby mamas with black baby daddy's. So you'll fit right in. Come on down!

Fondren - if you can afford it
Madison - burbs
Brandon - burbs
Clinton - country burbs

Old 01-22-2010, 02:02 PM

I will add that I am married to a Belizean lady of East Indian, West Indian, and Hispanic origin, and i'm about as white as they come, but we have no trouble at all. Some people may look or stare, but I wouldn't know because I don't pay that much attention. If they have a problem with it it's their problem.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:06 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,393,410 times
I will add that I am a born and raised Mississippian, and I am married to a yankee from Ohio.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:44 PM

30 posts, read 102,008 times
First of all, I was both born and reared in Mississippi (you rear children, you raise livestock :P ) and myself have never even looked twice... and although I have seen some people look longer than is polite (although, this was in really small towns), I have never seen anybody say anything or do anything disrespectful. Also, I have several good gay friends that are in interacial relationships and they've never had anybody say/do anything either.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:01 AM

64 posts, read 237,365 times
I have lived in Madison since 2002 and one of the developments we lived in had two mixed race couples, no problems. My daughter played soccer with a little girl that was mixed race, again, no problems. I think you can find what you want in the 'burbs just as quickly as in Jackson.
Of course, the question of private vs public school is going to drive your decision a lot.

Oh, and when you move here, you need to contact me for your mortgage! :-)

Old 01-23-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC266 View Post
First of all, I was both born and reared in Mississippi (you rear children, you raise livestock :P.
Well, sometimes my mom did ask me if I was raised in a barn...

Old 01-23-2010, 06:21 PM

30 posts, read 102,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Well, sometimes my mom did ask me if I was raised in a barn...
haha, sorry dude, didn't mean it personally, one of my pet peeves...which, growing up in MS, you know how often I get peeved at it then ...not saying that we don't speak correctly, we just speak Southern, not English. haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson