Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2006, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,417 times

Advertisements

I know sounds like same story but I am moving to MS in June of 2007. I am a nursing student and want to be close to a college. Except the problem is I am moving to the west side of Jackson. I don't want a big city. Just something my 4 children can enjoy and I can feel safe letting them outside to play. Know abouts of schools are a must and I need to rent a house. I know it may be to far in advance but I need it starting about July 1. I have never been to Mississippi (whose kidding I have never lived outside of Michigan) just a quick drive to AR to get my step-daughters for the summer. Just need to be close to them. Please someone help me out with any kind of info you can give me to help me. My hubsands job will be in Clinton. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2006, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,420 times
Default The Jackson Metro Area

The Jackson Metro Area Clinton and Madison have the best Public Schools.
Clinton is nice with the Natchez Trace going South from Clinton.
Madison is also nice where the Natchez Trace starts again going North.
Clinton has Millsap’s College.
About 10 to 12 miles South of Clinton is Raymond which is home to Hinds Community College.
I use to live in Clinton and find it the best of the metro area cities around Jackson.
There are some parts of Jackson, that in my opinion, are as bad if not worse than parts of New Orleans.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:00 PM

954 posts, read 4,378,005 times
God bless, it sounds like you are moving for good reasons.
I am originally from Detroit but lived in the South many years before moving back north. My sister also lived for about 20 years in Southern MS.
Get ready for major culture shock. I suggest that you find a way to visit a few times to see what you are up against. Be careful around Jackson. As the other poster said, it has some very very distressed areas.
Good luck with your studies. My wife is a nurse and really loves it. It has allowed us to move around with my work.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:47 AM

2 posts, read 26,401 times
I would definitely choose Clinton if you want to live west of Jackson. Stay away from anything in Jackson. The crime rate is awful.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:55 PM

61 posts, read 277,156 times
Default Jackson Suburbs, better Idea

The traffic in Madison is chaos. And be prepared for people who do not know how to drive. In and out of traffic as if it's NASCAR, very few turn signals, ride your bumper, speed in the slow lanes, and all that. I thought Memphis was bad!

Culture shock is another thing, the food, the people, the humidity, the heat, the clicks. I experenced this when I first moved to NW MS from Wisconsin. I had a teacher in 9th grade that wanted to spank me because I didn't know to call her "ma'am". I'm like what the freak?

G'luck in your plans.

Vicki

Old 09-12-2006, 08:28 PM
ccb

4 posts, read 28,727 times
West Jackson is the last place I would consider moving if I had young children! Crime, which is high in all parts of the city, is worse there. Drugs and prostitution are prevalent. It is not a safe place, especially for children!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson