Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 02:02 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times

Advertisements

We have traveled from home in DFW TX area to FL home for past year and used I-10 from Lafayette to Lake City FL then south on I-75
The stretch from Mobile to Lake City is not problem in either direction but from Lafayette to Mobile and vice versa is the pits...
Last month going east into FL, there were probably three accidents that brought heavy traffic to a crawl at separate times and caused people to drive even more dangerously than they normally do...it is just a claustrophobic at times...
and that isn't the first time it has been a bad stretch...

We are considering going north out of Mobile on SH 98 to Hattisburg, catching SH 49 to Jackson then I20 into Dallas...
on paper it looks an hour or so shorter but that isn't the only way to look at it...

appreciate any info on construction, speed traps, road side parks, etc... that might help make decision before we get on the road next week..for either section of road....
I will Google what I can but first hand info is usually more valuable...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 04:17 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,435,938 times
I do agree with you, get off of I10 as soon as you can.

However, those of us who drive from Jackson to Florida know that you don't take 98 all the way into mobile. Between Lucedale and mobile, 98 degenerates into 2 lanes, red lights, etc. Not worth the hassle. It looks shorter on maps, but it really isn't.

From mobile, stay on I10 to the Moss Point MS exit, head north on 63 to Lucedale, then 98 to Hattiesburg, and 49 to Jackson and I20. A much better route.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:19 PM

Thanks
That is exactly the helpful suggestion we were looking for
Any suggestion for places to stop and walk our dog?
No rest stops using these roads vs I10

Old 04-15-2014, 06:15 PM

And any suggestions for places to get something to eat--
it looks like using this route there are few fast food restaurants since (for example) this doesn't exactly go through Lucedale--but bypasses it...

and you exit I-10 North of Moss Point--

we can take sandwiches with us but if there is no place to really pull off and eat (like rest stop) then makes it more difficult to know how to manage our meals...

Old 04-16-2014, 12:00 AM

29 posts, read 53,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
We have traveled from home in DFW TX area to FL home for past year and used I-10 from Lafayette to Lake City FL then south on I-75
The stretch from Mobile to Lake City is not problem in either direction but from Lafayette to Mobile and vice versa is the pits...
Last month going east into FL, there were probably three accidents that brought heavy traffic to a crawl at separate times and caused people to drive even more dangerously than they normally do...it is just a claustrophobic at times...
and that isn't the first time it has been a bad stretch...

We are considering going north out of Mobile on SH 98 to Hattisburg, catching SH 49 to Jackson then I20 into Dallas...
on paper it looks an hour or so shorter but that isn't the only way to look at it...

appreciate any info on construction, speed traps, road side parks, etc... that might help make decision before we get on the road next week..for either section of road....
I will Google what I can but first hand info is usually more valuable...
It seems that speed traps are more prevalent towards the end of every month, probably around the 25th or later.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:29 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,243,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
And any suggestions for places to get something to eat--
it looks like using this route there are few fast food restaurants since (for example) this doesn't exactly go through Lucedale--but bypasses it...

and you exit I-10 North of Moss Point--

we can take sandwiches with us but if there is no place to really pull off and eat (like rest stop) then makes it more difficult to know how to manage our meals...
You won't be hurting for fast food or gas. Traveling through rural Mississippi isn't like traveling through rural Texas. You'll pass countless tiny to small towns, some of which will have the occasional diner or fast food establishment. Even us country folk like to eat food cooked by other people from time to time.

On 98 between Lucedale and Hattiesburg you'll be dipping in and out of the DeSoto National Forest, and there There used to be at least one picnic area along the route on the north side of the road, but for some reason I'm thinking it's closed now. Just be aware that I've heard that the rangers can be quite zealous about enforcing any violations of any rules. I know the portion of the park in Stone County is dry (no alcohol) and the rangers will write tickets for that, but I'm pretty sure the northern portion is wet.

When bypassing Hattiesburg on I-59, the Hwy 98 exit (Turtle Creek Mall area) is overflowing with every imaginable restaurant, fast or slow.

The section of Hattiesburg going north on Hwy-49, plus the towns of Collins and Magee on 49, have multiple establishments on either side of the road.

The Jackson area (starting in Florence on Hwy 49 and ending in Clinton on I-20) has countless restaurants at various exits.

The only official "rest stop" I'm aware of along your route would be the Mississippi Welcome Center in Vicksburg. It's accessible from either direction.

Once you cross over into LA you hit some seriously rural farmland. There are some places at Tallulah, then Monroe is a fair-sized town. Once past there I'm lost.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:33 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,435,938 times
Moss Point to Hattiesburg is rural, but not dead. Moss Point itself has places to eat. And you will pass various exits with a fast food joint here or there as you make your way to Hattiesburg.

I am not aware of any formal rest stops, as 63 and 98 are not interstate highways. To walk your dog or go to the bathroom yourself, you will pass many gas stations with adjoining markets. Walk your dog in the open area around the station.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:05 PM

We got home yesterday and for the most part going north through MS to Jackson and then west across I-20 to DFW we were pleased...
I think that will be our new route vs the Gulf Coast I-10 run...

no construction, fairly smooth roads, and not too much traffic until we hit I-20 with lots of trucks...and trucks are just way of life on interstates now...

our dog was good and we only needed to stop couple of times for gas and once at the TX rest stop right across the LA line...
for us it was a fast trip
I appreciate the suggestion about staying on 10 until Moss Point--that was a nice stretch of road...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson