Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2013, 08:19 PM

4 posts, read 14,052 times

Advertisements

Anyone living in belhaven fondren area can please educate me about this area and how safe it is. I have heard mixed reviews some people say they never got burglarized some people got broken into their home multiple times. I am currently looking at nejam properties and I like the options they show me but I have heard their follow up with you is pretty bad if you need them to fix something in your apartment. One of the person told me they make you wait for weeks before they come fix things.
They are giving me decent options in gated communities which I like and it is much closer to my work than driving 16 miles to work on I55 which is getting tiring with my 80 hr work week.
I am a resident at UMC in my intern year. If any interns out there living in belhaven or fondren area please educate me.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 06:33 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,334 times
Belhaven is Jackson's favorite neighborhood. Fondren has some great restaurants. The nice residential part of Fondren is between Old Canton Rd and North State Street and is very beautiful (hills, towering trees, great older homes with character and nice yards etc).... but not along North State street and not the residential areas west of N State St which is more run down. This area plus Belhaven are extremely popular.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:24 PM

29 posts, read 53,395 times
Go into Cups or any Fondren business that have flyers put up inside. There's always flyers posted by UMC residents looking for a roomate to share a house in Belhaven or Fondren.

I go to Millsaps which is in Belhaven and never feel unsafe, granted, I live on campus which is gated and has security guards. When the weather and is nice I will go jogging off campus through Belhaven and take advantage of the hilly terrain; I'll use this as a testament that I feel safe going through Belhaven. Usually the fine line between safe and questionable is crossing Fortification heading downtown; however, a few more blocks towards Downtown and I would be a fool to let my guard down. Fondren is also a nice area to be in. Like Brickpatio said, there are some great restaurants and a new bar, Fondren Public, just recently opened which is a great place to go on a Friday or Saturday night for a quality drink. Good luck on your search for a new place!

Hope this helps!

Old 11-21-2013, 08:34 PM

Thank you I will defi go and look up for the roommate in a house situation. I am currently renting a room in a house as well and I like it except that it is so far away.
Hopefully I will find something in this nearby area.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:57 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,349,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg92 View Post
I go to Millsaps which is in Belhaven and never feel unsafe, granted, I live on campus which is gated and has security guards.

Hope this helps!

lol. Great advice from someone who is sheltered from the real Jackson

Old 11-22-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findedeux View Post
Thank you I will defi go and look up for the roommate in a house situation. I am currently renting a room in a house as well and I like it except that it is so far away.
Hopefully I will find something in this nearby area.
I understand what you are saying. I also was puzzled when I first got to Jackson about commuters wanting to live so far out from where they work. Everything is also spread out so their are gaps between Jackson and Ridgelan, Ridgeland and Madison, Jackson and Flowood, etc. IMO some of the suburbs are not convenient to commute into the city, but if someone wants to spend a lot of their time commuting, that's their choice. Parts of Jackson are very unsafe and to some people that equates to all of Jackson being unsafe and they won't dare step into city limits.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
lol. Great advice from someone who is sheltered from the real Jackson
True! Does mentioning that West Street is our west side boarder make it more authentic??

Old 11-22-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg92 View Post
I understand what you are saying. I also was puzzled when I first got to Jackson about commuters wanting to live so far out from where they work. Everything is also spread out so their are gaps between Jackson and Ridgelan, Ridgeland and Madison, Jackson and Flowood, etc. IMO some of the suburbs are not convenient to commute into the city, but if someone wants to spend a lot of their time commuting, that's their choice. Parts of Jackson are very unsafe and to some people that equates to all of Jackson being unsafe and they won't dare step into city limits.
Thank you jdj92 I did a lot of research and honestly living 16 miles from work one way coming home in 5:30 pm traffic when you work an 80 hr work week is really tough. I would take my chances and try and move a bit closer in jackson. I saw a couple of people in belhaven area recently who are residents and live in gated neighbourhoods. Also found out that the main property competitors Nejam and belhaven residential dont take an advance wait list they basically want you to come closer to when you want to sign the lease. So I am waiting for March since my current least get up in April ending. And having a home alarm system is on $40.00 a month with a camera installed so paying $700 per month and living about 2 miles from work is exactly what i am looking for.
With my residents pay I can barely get by paying my bills and student loans so i kept the budget small for fondren or belhaven. Hopefully I can find something in that range who accepts my cat too.
Thank you for the advice for looking in rainbow too I will stop by next week.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:44 AM

2 posts, read 6,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findedeux View Post
Thank you jdj92 I did a lot of research and honestly living 16 miles from work one way coming home in 5:30 pm traffic when you work an 80 hr work week is really tough. I would take my chances and try and move a bit closer in jackson. I saw a couple of people in belhaven area recently who are residents and live in gated neighbourhoods. Also found out that the main property competitors Nejam and belhaven residential dont take an advance wait list they basically want you to come closer to when you want to sign the lease. So I am waiting for March since my current least get up in April ending. And having a home alarm system is on $40.00 a month with a camera installed so paying $700 per month and living about 2 miles from work is exactly what i am looking for.
With my residents pay I can barely get by paying my bills and student loans so i kept the budget small for fondren or belhaven. Hopefully I can find something in that range who accepts my cat too.
Thank you for the advice for looking in rainbow too I will stop by next week.
Hi! I'm also an incoming resident at UMMc and I would like to know if you were able to find a better, closer apartment to stay in. I'm really considering on Nejam properties as they are close to the hospital and many shops/restaurants.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:51 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,334 times
Belhaven is beautiful and two minutes from UMMC. For another option, in Flowood, Cypress Pointe and Reflection Point apartments are just 5 miles down Lakeland Drive from UMMC (and several others just past there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson