Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2007, 02:12 PM

283 posts, read 1,026,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleAZ View Post
You've just summed up AZ as well. Looks like most folks in AZ and CA are actually looking to move out of Mexico and back to the US!

I wonder what they do in Iowa for Cinco de Mayo... ignore it or don't have a clue as to what it is? I think I'd prefer a picnic lunch on the city green to a margarita and a drive by any day!
I'm in Iowa, and we're going out for margaritas (minus the drive bys!) for Cinco de Mayo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 03:40 PM

26 posts, read 179,677 times
I moved into Iowa in 2001 from Kansas especially Overland Park-Lenexa area. I am glad that I moved because in Kansas the state tax is way higher than in Iowa especially owing or leasing a car is considering as property tax in Kansas meanwhile Iowa doesn't. I usually paid around $200 dollars a year for property tax in Kansas. In Iowa, I just pay around 35 dollars a year. Awesome! Woo Hoo.. I am like "Dorothy" in Wizard of Oz stating "Geez Toto, We aren't in Kansas Anymore." LOL

To be exact, I lived in Quasqueton (a town of 500 ppl) situated 7 miles SE of Independence in Buchanan County for 15 months (Dec 2001-March 2003), then moved to Independence, (a town of 6,000 ppl and county seat of Buchanan County) for 4 years (March 2003-March 2007) till this month I move to Strawberry Point. I like this town better and it is located in southwest corner of Clayton County. I just took 3 snapshots for Strawberry Point and uploaded into city-data.com yesterday for sweepstake entry which will ended today for the best snapshots in this website (https://www.city-data.com).

I never knew it has forum and I just registered today. Thought of my past experience living in Iowa that I would like to share. Hope you all have great day in Iowa and elsewhere.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:58 PM

57 posts, read 204,903 times
Lucky you! Wish I was there... we'll be out eating Italian .. not supporting illegals and drinking wine. I'll save my partying for an appropriate American holiday and we'll still be looking over our shoulders for vato drive bys.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:38 AM

13 posts, read 83,015 times
If you're interested in Des Moines, check out my photoblog www.epicstatus.com of daily life here in Des Moines. Accept for when mentioned, all photos were taken in the Des Moines metro area.

Des Moines area is great if you like an urban area without the flaws of larger cities. We have everything here you need, the convenience of a big city. Statistics show that the Des Moines area is one of the safest cities of it's size in the U.S. Of course traffic is the worst in Des Moines, but you can't have the nightlife and conveniences without people.

I lived in Milwaukee for many years before coming to Des Moines, IA. I gaurantee that most areas of Minnesota will be colder year round and they will have more snow. I noticed a difference from Milwaukee to here and it's not as big a difference as here to MN.

I've wanted to go further south for the warmer weather year round, like Orlando or somewhere in that area. The reason why I probably will never do it is because the quality of life is so much better here. We have a great job market and more importantly it's safe to live here. We don't have big gang and violence problems that plague other areas of the country.

If you don't like urban areas, you'll probably like any smaller city/town in Iowa. They are a little less accepting of outsiders and they will have much less younger people living there.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:44 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,590,323 times
"I lived in Milwaukee for many years before coming to Des Moines, IA. I gaurantee that most areas of Minnesota will be colder year round and they will have more snow. I noticed a difference from Milwaukee to here and it's not as big a difference as here to MN. "

Having lived in all three, I agree with this 100% (Still prefer MSP and Milw to DSM, tho)

Old 05-07-2007, 02:12 AM

7 posts, read 42,988 times
Default My thoughts about Iowa

I have found reading all your different thoughts about Iowa interesting. Everyone is entitled to their feelings and opinions. I would like to say however, that just as the country is different in diversity & geography, so is the state of Iowa. The Eastern side of the state is quite different from the Western side where I am. There are many unique features of SW Iowa both to this country and to the world! AND not all farmers track manure into all the stores lol! I can see that may happen in a small town, but it certainly does not happen across the majority of Iowa! Just remember there is good & bad in all....and life truly is what we make it, wherever we might be.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:28 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleAZ
You've just summed up AZ as well. Looks like most folks in AZ and CA are actually looking to move out of Mexico and back to the US!

I wonder what they do in Iowa for Cinco de Mayo... ignore it or don't have a clue as to what it is? I think I'd prefer a picnic lunch on the city green to a margarita and a drive by any day!
Considering it's my birthday I know exactly what it is. I have yet to get a free margarita on it. Sucks!

Toro, toro!

Old 06-23-2007, 01:57 AM

1 posts, read 9,392 times
Unhappy manic;panic

dear,citizens, of manson i have recently relocated from tennessee,to fort dodge iowa,i was transferred by my company and have been working and living in a motel for three months i am up here alone waiting on the final details of closing on a home and trying to save money to move my wife and daughter up here i miss them and they cant wait to move here they are looking forward to this.however i attended a local function tonite called crater days in manson i enjoyed this a great deal until i arrived back at the motel in fort dodge, only to realize i'd lost my wallet i am not too happy to say the least every thing i own is in that wallet i am litterly stranded i have back tracked my route searched and searched again,please if you find a wallet with a tennessee drivers liscence with the name michael lethco,please leave it with the manson police department or foward to p.o.box623 fort dodge,iowa50501,please make a mans day by kindly returning this to me it would make a difficult time much easier to bare.i think most people are genuionly honest and i don't expect any different from you folks.thankyou in advance.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:17 PM

5 posts, read 33,441 times
Hey Cactus Sam, I am just curious where in Iowa you lived? I lived there also nad at first I did not like it but I then grew to love it. I lived in the Onawa are and around Denison and Ute and Ida Grove. I am trying to convince my fiance to move there when we graduate but he says no. You are right about not being accepted unless you have ties there, good thing I have formed some. Hope you reply. Thanks

Old 06-24-2007, 06:50 PM

3 posts, read 18,662 times
Default Moving to Iowa

Hello everyone! I am going to relocate to Iowa in the next couple of weeks. I am looking for a furnished apartment in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls area later this week. I have 2 cats that are going with me.

Does anyone know anything about the Russell Lamson Apartment building in downtown Waterloo? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa