Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 13,407 times

Advertisements

Hello-I am taking a position at a hospital in Waterloo (March-Sept), and am looking for a small house to rent (1-2 bedrooms). Looking for a house b/c I have a large dog, and need some sort of yard.

I've read some posts about "rough areas" in Waterloo, and was wondering if anybody has specific information about renting a home in Waterloo (nice neighborhood areas), or is looking for a tenant. Also, I am a runner and was wondering how the parks are for jogging (safe?). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 05:04 PM

159 posts, read 626,040 times
Waterloo is absolutely fine, and it's a wonderful area for running. I'm a runner, I grew up there, and I lived there for 26 years. There's a great bike/running trail that goes through George Wyth State Park and the Hartman Reserve Nature Center and then through part of Cedar Falls. If you're a runner, I'd recommend living kind of near there, if possible. Anywhere in Cedar Falls is good for running and will put you near a trail, and if you live in west Waterloo, near the CF border, you'll also be close to the trail. The area is very safe, and as a single woman, I never felt unsafe running alone, even in the dark. The Waterloo/Cedar Falls area is my absolute favorite place to run; the trails are fantastic (and I've lived in Seattle, which supposedly is great for running).

There ARE some sketchy neighborhoods in Waterloo, but if you visit, you'll know them right away. Don't live very close to downtown Waterloo or north/northeast of downtown, and you'll probably be fine. There's also a not-so-great area a bit southwest of of highway 218 (near downtown), but that area bumps up against one of the nicest parts of town. The safest parts of town are probably the southern and western neighborhoods. I lived just southeast of the Greenhill/University Ave interchange, and it was super safe and great for running.

For running, I would recommend living in Cedar Falls. It's close to the trail and park, and there aren't any unsafe areas. You'll probably also have an easy time finding a rental, because the University of Northern Iowa is there. But Waterloo is not bad: Don't listen to what most people say about Waterloo. Most people haven't lived there. It's not the greatest place, but mostly because it's boring, not because it's unsafe.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:05 PM

84 posts, read 295,430 times
^^^ He said what I would have said. I lived there for a period, my mom still does.

Overall, Southern and Western ... possibly Cedar Falls! The area is great with trails and sidewalks... you'll be overwhelmed with places to run.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:53 PM

3 posts, read 13,407 times
Thanks for the info re running. As a female, safety is always an area of concern. Its nice to know Waterloo/Cedar Falls offer some great trails. Any fun races in the area?

Old 02-20-2010, 06:25 AM

159 posts, read 626,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nifsly View Post
Any fun races in the area?
Definitely. The Sturgis Falls Half Marathon and 5K (http://www.cedarriverrunnersclub.com/wordpress/?page_id=23 - broken link) is in late June in Cedar Falls, and it's always really popular (and super hot; I never actually ran this one, but I did volunteer at it). And, Trekman Racing puts on some great races, especially the Park to Park Half-Marathon and 5K, which goes from George Wyth State Park to Black Hawk County Park (the 5K just stays in George Wyth). I'll be running in Trekman's Fool's 5K next month at George Wyth.

There's plenty of other races, but it's early and I've been away from the Midwest for a while and can't think of them, so check out the calendar at Fitness Sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa