Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2007, 04:51 PM

55 posts, read 229,031 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some info on these towns? We're coming up in June to check them out and hoping to move later this year. Mostly needing to know how the school system is for my granddaughter, the real estate market, job situation (my son-in-law is an auto mechanic but could work in in W'loo) and basically the overall atmosphere of the towns. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 12:11 PM

Location: right now i live in Iowa, but in June i will be moving to Grafton, WI
6 posts, read 20,415 times
Jesup is a nice community and they have a pretty good school system. They have a car dealership in town and w'loo is only about 20-25min away. I have also heard that Denver and Hudson are nice. I would steer away from Independence, i have heard from many people that their school system is not the best. I don't know this from personal experience, just from a few friends that have lived there and are now moving.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:13 PM

4 posts, read 22,096 times
I have lived in Independence and think it is a very nice place to live. The schools are as good as anywhere and they are building a new library and have an excellant and progressive library director. This town has taken on a new life in the last few years and is very attractive. It is also close enough to Waterloo for shopping and commuting. Housing is a little higher than some other small towns but that is because it is more desirable. I see you are from Florida and we have just moved there. Have you heard about Iowa winters??

Old 04-28-2007, 03:28 PM

5 posts, read 33,455 times
Default Oelwein is the Place for You

Take my advice. Skip all the towns you mentioned and go to Oelwein. Great schools and wonderful teachers. They have a fantastic new Performing Arts and Recreation Center. This town is friendly. It is safe and it is on the move!

Old 04-30-2007, 04:01 PM

26 posts, read 179,747 times
Hi... I thought of to share with you all.

I lived in Independence from March 2003 to March 2007. Right now, I live in Strawberry Point as I moved this month because the rental for apartment in Indepenedence went up 74 dollars more this year. As a fact, Independence has a great school system but I see declining there. There is problems with budget and trying to get vote for new high school to be built. It has turned down three times in past 5 years for new high school due to tax levy. I agree with daydreamer earlier in this thread. Also I agree with Laurre and EXITTOBEND, too, as well.

About job situation, you will see lots of jobs posted and they are mostly in local especially hospitals. You don't see lots of technology jobs in this area as I am looking for (Geographic Information System) GIS job. Only big cities like Waterloo, Dubuque and Cedar Rapids do have but not lots.

Kevin

Old 05-04-2007, 01:39 PM

Thanks everyone for your input! We're not sure if our daughter and her family will be moving anytime soon. My husband will be retired and I work from home so no job issues there. As far as the Iowa winters, yep.......my husband and I were both raised in Iowa. We left in 1985 to come to Florida. We've been back several times over the years mainly to W'loo to visit family. But we don't want to buy in W'loo - would rather be in a small town. Oelwein is one we have been checking out. We have our house listed here and as soon as it sells, we're outta here !!!!

Old 05-04-2007, 07:34 PM

We have a realtor in Iowa checking out some houses for us. She said to avoid Oelwein right now. She said some large companies have shut down and/or pulled out of town and the market is flooded now with houses for sale but the values have plummented. Anyone know about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa