Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 08:10 PM

676 posts, read 407,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
In my opinion, cities in the Lower Midwest such as Indianapolis, Columbus, and Cincinnati are "typical" American. Some would also argue that Kansas City and St. Louis are included in that category too.
Absolutely yeah. I see what you mean as well about KC and STL being ‘kind of’ typical but not to the extent as the others; they’re more western and further away from where the majority of the US population lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 02:31 PM

238 posts, read 129,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
Absolutely yeah. I see what you mean as well about KC and STL being ‘kind of’ typical but not to the extent as the others; they’re more western and further away from where the majority of the US population lives.
Yet the Center of US population is literally IN Missouri, so I'm not sure how you can say that either KC or STL are "further away from where the majority of the US population lives".

KC and STL are the two closest major cities to that center of population, unless you want to count Fayetteville, Arkansas as being a major city.

Census Bureau:

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...-missouri.html

Old 11-29-2023, 04:31 PM

2,611 posts, read 1,205,579 times
Quote:
But surely somewhere like Ohio or Indiana is a better example of this than Iowa? Both states have all of what you describe while also having a population density closer to that of the national average. When I said most Americans live in a metro area of at least 2 million, I didn't mean somewhere as urban as New York or LA, but rather somewhere like the Cincinnati or Indianapolis metro (between 2 and 4 million people).
I'd say Indiana and Ohio combined, as Indiana is more midwest oriented while Ohio has a bit of east coast and southern flavor to it in certain parts of the state.

Old 11-30-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHammer View Post
Yet the Center of US population is literally IN Missouri, so I'm not sure how you can say that either KC or STL are "further away from where the majority of the US population lives".

KC and STL are the two closest major cities to that center of population, unless you want to count Fayetteville, Arkansas as being a major city.

Census Bureau:

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...-missouri.html
Throughout most of US history, a large percentage of the US population lived east of the Mississippi River. It was essentially where the nation’s identity was solidified. The government is situated there, the bulk of America’s industry was located there, and the vast majority of the Civil War, including its battles, took place east of the Mississippi as well. Also, southern Missouri is only the mean center, the median center is still situated in southern Indiana.

Last edited by Doughboy1918; 11-30-2023 at 08:57 AM..

Old 12-01-2023, 07:40 AM

140 posts, read 66,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
I'd say Indiana and Ohio combined, as Indiana is more midwest oriented while Ohio has a bit of east coast and southern flavor to it in certain parts of the state.
There is really nothing southern about Ohio. Indiana and Missouri are probably the most southern-like states in the Midwest (Missouri for sure). Even in parts of Southern Illinois it's quite southern. Ohio is the only state in the Midwest that is a part of the Appalachians. So there is a unique identifier there that really stretches from New York down to Alabama.

Old 12-01-2023, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRNorth View Post
There is really nothing southern about Ohio. Ohio is the only state in the Midwest that is a part of the Appalachians. So there is a unique identifier there that really stretches from New York down to Alabama.
Then surely the fact that it is partially Appalachian must mean Ohio has some Southern influence? Bit of a contradiction there.

Old 12-01-2023, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Then surely the fact that it is partially Appalachian must mean Ohio has some Southern influence? Bit of a contradiction there.
So then New York is, too? It's not a contradiction. The Appalachian region is a massive region from north to south. I live in Ohio, please tell me more.

Old 12-01-2023, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRNorth View Post
So then New York is, too? It's not a contradiction. The Appalachian region is a massive region from north to south. I live in Ohio, please tell me more.
I’m basing it on linguistics maps mainly, south-central and southeastern Ohio are usually always considered part of Upland South territory as far as speech is concerned, but I believe it’s also considered culturally as such as well due to the proximity to Kentucky and West Virginia, which have both always been considered ‘southern’ states.

Old 12-01-2023, 12:19 PM

4,652 posts, read 4,968,796 times
Quote:
I’m basing it on linguistics maps mainly, south-central and southeastern Ohio are usually always considered part of Upland South territory as far as speech is concerned, but I believe it’s also considered culturally as such as well due to the proximity to Kentucky and West Virginia, which have both always been considered ‘southern’ states.
I have never seen anywhere in Ohio considered "Upland South" linguistically. This map has a tiny sliver around South Point and Ironton as Southern, and the rest of the state Midland or Northern: https://aschmann.net/AmEng/#LargeMap4Right

Old 12-01-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
As someone who works often with different partners in the Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC), and lives on the Ohio/Pennsylvania line, you can always count on it being brought up in virtual meetings when New Yorkers, Pennsylvanians and Ohioans are on a call with North Carolina, Tennessee or Georgia and they call out the northern accents.

Go from Cincinnati down to Lexington, KY and there is a huge difference in accents. One sounds southern, the other does not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa