Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2021, 05:39 PM

314 posts, read 547,029 times

Advertisements

I stopped by the DMV today to get a new license (I'm in Minnesota) and was told I was ineligible for a license because Iowa had placed a hold on my driving privileges. I called Iowa for information and was told I'd been issued a speeding ticket by an Iowa State patrol officer in a Lincoln on October 24th, 2020. The problem is I don't own this vehicle nor was I in Iowa on this date. I was referred to the fraud division. After some bouncing around I finally was able to speak to an Iowa State DOT fraud investigator and the patrolman who issued the citation. The patrolman stated given the ticket was a year old there would no longer be video in the system, as it's removed after 6 to 8 months. He did believe my story and did say he'd alert the judge on Monday and see if it was possible to get the ticket thrown out, but this may take months and in the meantime I wouldn't be a licensed driver. He also inquired whether I had any idea who may have used my identity; when I told him I did he stated to contact the person, and if I were able to coerce a confession there would be criminal charges. This is obviously a long shot. He also stated I could simply pay the ticket ($235) and move on from it. I'm reluctant to do this, as aside from the initial $235 and subsequent higher insurance premiums, it would be a true indignity.

The claims investigator provided this:

Identity theft victim,

Please review and complete the attached Identity Theft Complaint and return to our office. You must complete all of the sections including the Voluntary Statement section for your complaint to be accepted. Please include the following documents:

1. 1. Copy of local police report showing that you reported the identity theft to your local law enforcement agency

2. 2. Photographs of you (Clear and color photographs are preferable)

3. 3. Credit Reports

4. 4. Documentation of your attendance at school. (High school transcript, college records, etc...)

5. 5. Employment documentation (example: payroll history, timecards, letter from employer, etc...)

6. 6. Criminal History (If you have ever been incarcerated at the local, state, or federal level: please include these dates and supporting documentation)

7. 7. Any and all documentation to support your claim that you did not create the Iowa record in question

I filled it out and hope to hear from him soon.

In Iowa, when you apply for an ID they issue a temporary paper ID and mail you the permanent copy. Years ago, when living in Des Moines I applied for an ID, then had to leave town abruptly. I believe a guy who was living at the residence took hold of the ID. We're both makes of the same race and roughly the same age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2021, 02:41 PM

75 posts, read 107,140 times
I might reach out to a local attorney in the Des Moines area and see if they can help with getting the case here dismissed. It might help make things move faster on the Iowa end of things at least. You could also talk to an attorney where you are at in Minnesota and see if they can help. I'd probably start with an attorney who handles a lot of DUI cases, as they tend to appear before the DOT a fair amount, and if they can't help you, they might have a good idea of who could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: