Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 02:00 PM

16 posts, read 61,655 times

Advertisements

Near Coe is not a good area. There is a reason why people refer to the Hy-Vee up the street as Ghetto-Vee.

To the East of there it gets even worse but near Coe is not much better. Not sure where you guys work but if you have a car, commuting shouldn't be a problem from really anywhere. If I were looking at renting, I'd basically cross anything with a SE address off of my list.

Not to say there aren't semi-bad areas in SW, NW or NE but for the most part the really bad part of town is limited to SE addresses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,452 times
hello we are moving to cedar rapids in the month of January, I have two girls and I am looking at prairie height school. I would like some info of this school and its surroundings, is it a safe area to rent or buy a home in that area?
thanks for your help.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:43 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,333 times
Prairie Heights is in the College Community school district which has a good reputation. I know a family whose children go there and they are very pleased with the school. You are close to the community of Ely, which is a very nice family area to live. However, you might want to check out the area to see if it has a pugnant odor (from ADM) during certain parts of the day. I'm not sure if you'd be affected by it as you're across the Interstate from the plant and a bit of a distance.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:21 AM

16 posts, read 61,655 times
College Community is the most desired school district in the Cedar Rapids area. I'd say followed closely by Marion. It is a good area and there is a lot of new construction over near the schools on the SW side. Kirkwood Community College is also just up the street from the College Community schools and is a highly rated 2 year college.

If I were to pick an area to live in Cedar Rapids, it would be the SW side in College Community school district.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:10 PM

25 posts, read 41,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valcar View Post
hello we are moving to cedar rapids in the month of January, I have two girls and I am looking at prairie height school. I would like some info of this school and its surroundings, is it a safe area to rent or buy a home in that area?
thanks for your help.
Hi there!
I live in the CCSD and my son attends the high school there. As stated, it is the most desirable school district and even had to close down open enrollment as so many people want their kids to attend.
I live in the SW section of CR, which has a large area that is within the district. Fairfax is very popular - a growing bedroom community that has both the older section of town ( very quaint ) and newer developments FILLED with kids and teachers.
Additionally, Walford, Ely and Swisher are within the district as it serves the more rural areas with an extensive bus service.
The only areas I would avoid are along Kirkwood Blvd. Most of that area is rented to college students and this increases the crime rate.
Fairfax has occasional vandalism from bored teens and that is about it. It would be one of my first recommendations.
If a condo is of interest, there is one for sale in my immediate neighborhood. 3 bedroom and very, very nice. Patio, two balconys,walk in closet, 3 bathrooms, open beamed ceilings, clerestory windows. Bus stops just a few feet away for the kids and we border a huge park.
Sincerely, it may be just what you are looking for.
Let me know if there is more specifics you would like. Living here I can give you details, pictures, even crime stats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa