Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 06:26 PM

3 posts, read 21,427 times

Advertisements

I am considering accepting a position in Clinton, Iowa. I am from very Southern Illinois and from a very small rural town. Can someone please tell me about Clinton? I've heard from a friend some not very nice things, but that's just one person's opinion. I'd like to hear more. Please, give me all you got as this will be a very large, costly move for me that I do not wish to regret.
Thanks soooo much for your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 06:36 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,414,612 times
I don't know much about Clinton, but I haven't heard many positive things about that city to tell you the truth, but if you did accept this position I'm sure you could find many great places in the area to live. The Quad Cities just to the south is a pretty nice metro, and you could easily stay on the Illinois side of the river if it made things easier with moving.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:34 PM

how long of a drive is it from the Quad Cities to Clinton? Do you know anything about the Ashford University there?

Old 01-18-2008, 07:44 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,414,612 times
If I remember right it was only 20 minutes north, and it was all pretty much along the river/through wooded areas so it was pretty... I've never heard of Ashford University. I'm going to leave that one to someone else. (sorry)

Old 01-18-2008, 09:15 PM

I appreciate your help!

Old 01-18-2008, 10:25 PM

180 posts, read 957,099 times
I don't know anything about the AU. I am in the Quad Cities and the commute to Clinton is about 30 or 35 minutes. Longer possibly in the winter when the roads are bad.

Clinton isn't a bad little place but it's not a slum either. Depends on where you live, like anywhere, and where you hang out. Actually, it's probably not much different than your small southern Il towns... just further north.

The other poster is right about the trip from QC to Clinton though, it 's a very pretty drive. The drawback to that is that it's not interstate so it isn't cleared first when the snow comes. I think it's Thomphson on the other side of the river (not sure I spelled that right). Again, small town much like southern ones you are familiar with. It's all rural farming area.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:43 AM

4 posts, read 22,480 times
Default RE: Clinton

I am fairly familiar with Clinton, IA having lived right across the river in Fulton, IL for 7 years and I still get back to Clinton every 3-6 months to visit friends. Clinton's downtown is just about a ghost town as most of the shopping has moved to the west side off of highway 30. There are several nice neighborhoods and some to stay away from. The ADM corn processing plant in town can make the town stink if the wind is blowing in the right direction.
Ashford University is actually a very old college. It used to be called Mt. St. Clare University, and the The Fransican University of the Prairies before being changed to Ashford about 4 years ago. It has a nice campus, and the on-line program is growing quickly.
The drive from the Quad Cities is about 30- 40 minutes, Highway 61 and 34 make it 4 lanes, 65 mph all the way and is not a problem in winter. Highway 67 along the river is only 2 lanes and would not be great to drive in the winter.
If you look at other towns, I would suggest DeWitt, IA- about 25 minutes west or Fulton, IL right across the river- both have great school systems (much better than Clinton), a safe, small town feel, but are very close to larger towns. Other options would be Morrison, IL or Thompson, IL or Comanche, IA which is only about 2 miles south of Clinton.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:12 AM

180 posts, read 957,099 times
Great information Admit39 ! I had completely forgotten about 67... and Fulton!

Obviously, I don't head that way often enough!

Old 01-19-2008, 08:14 PM

209 posts, read 1,089,185 times
Clinton is a nice town. A 25 possibly 35 minute drive to the QC's, and about an hour to DBQ... Ashford University has a beautiful campus, and is located in the heart of the City, Eagle Point Park is also a beautiful area... I never hear anything bad about Clinton, but CR news does not cover Clinton... I've been there a few times and thought it a nice city.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:15 PM

209 posts, read 1,089,185 times
If you don't like Clinton, there are a few tiny towns between there and DeWitt that may be of your liking, and east into Illinois, Fulton and Morrison are good, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa