Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 06:07 AM

4 posts, read 7,260 times

Advertisements

Does anyone live, has lived or have knowledge of Mondamin, IA? We are moving there in June and my husband actually lives there now while he works out of Omaha. I have been in contact with the school district out there and it seems like a VERY small town which concerns me and at the same time excites me. I have always lived in bigger cities. I have lived in Las Vegas, NV; Albuquerque, NM; Jacksonville, NC...cities like that. Even the city we currently live in is pretty big even though people say it is a small town. I am concerned that we will not be welcomed as I have read on some other threads that has happened. We have 3 young kids ages 6,5 and 4 and we are both in our middle to late 30's. I am currently a stay at home mom but once the kids are back in school, I plan on getting back into the workforce only part time so I can still be at home with the kids. I was born and raised in Northeast Ohio but my husband used to live in Francis, OK so he is used to the small town...and he actually LOVES Mondamin right now because of how small it is and how quiet it is. We have 2 autistic children and I am really afraid that we are going to be shunned because of this. I am really looking forward to becoming involved in the community and I hope they have a PTO/PTA because I LOVE being a part of my children's schools PTO right now. Sorry so long but I am just voicing my concern. Please any and all input is greatly appreciated!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 07:21 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,699,116 times
Hello
I checked & Mondamin is indeed very small & is where the West Harrison School District is located. I'd link you to that school district page here except that my work firewall usually prevents links from loading.
You may want to look up the district page yourself & have your husband contact them in person since he is already there. He could hopefully effectively communicate to them your mutual concerns about the special needs of your children.
The largest small town in the county is Missouri Valley & that district might be better able to serve your schooling needs if the West Harrison District is so small as to have limited resources for autistic children.
Be aware that Harrison County is directly north of Council Bluffs in Pottawatamie County which is part of the core of metro Omaha-Council Bluffs. Further resources & help there would also thus be relatively close to Mondamin.
It's possible that cross-posting this thread on the Omaha page of the Nebraska forum might get you results too.
Good luck!

Old 04-30-2014, 08:29 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
West Harrison is about the size of our school district (Van Buren). We have several autistic students, all of whom are mainstreamed into regular classrooms with the assistance of a paraeducator. I don't believe any of the parents of these students feel that their kids are "shunned" in any way. In fact, we have a couple of families with autistic children who have moved here from nearby larger districts because they feel that their kids weren't getting the attention or care they needed at the larger schools.

I know nothing about West Harrison and don't mean to suggest that your experience there will autmatically be the same as those in our district, just wanted to point out that you shouldn't discount the district just because of size.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:57 AM

336 posts, read 575,467 times
I think you'll be fine there. If you get involved in the school you will blend right in. The West Harrison School District is mad up of the small towns of Little Sioux, Pisgah and Mondamin. Thee town is in the Missouri River Valley and just a couple of mills east are the scenic Loess Hills. Wonderful apple orchards there!

Old 05-24-2014, 08:07 AM

30 posts, read 47,409 times
It's 40 some minutes away and you haven't driven up there to chek it out?? .. yes . .very small town . .don't know why you'd be shunned. .I'd suggest you go for a drive and see what you can see to allay your fears . .talk to the people around town that you see .. city office . .church- Mondamin Baptist is a great church ..tho more non-denominational really then baptist- businesses . .etc. . .get a feel. .I'd think you'll be fine . .and the city is just a short drive away if ya need anything . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa