Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 09:12 PM

141 posts, read 504,613 times

Advertisements

Not Iowa

I guess I'd really value the opinion of someone who's "been there a few times". Makes you an expert on living in Muscatine how? You look like nothing more than a troll to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 10:03 PM

166 posts, read 614,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingit View Post
Not Iowa

I guess I'd really value the opinion of someone who's "been there a few times". Makes you an expert on living in Muscatine how? You look like nothing more than a troll to me.
wingit: you might just be sensitive. I suggested living within Muscatine if the original poster could handle living in a small town. How many times does a person really need to be in Muscatine to get a feel for it. I've eaten at most of the restuarants there (all chains), been to the mall (small), and taken my son to the parks (also small). So again, if the original poster likes small - Muscatine is great. If not - he should look elsewhere.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:38 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,415,429 times
i agree with Not Iowa until she said "if the original poster likes small - Muscatine is great. because muscatine simply isn't even a good SMALL town environment, it sucks all around.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:59 AM

2 posts, read 19,322 times
Default Thank you all!!!

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for all pieces of information I got.

Overall, it seems that it's not going to be great to live in Muscatine, especially coming from New York/New Jersey area... Next week I'll come to visit the town and meet the people where I'll be working (HON), so at least I know what to expect.
My concern is that if one buys a house in this area, when time comes to sell, it would be very difficult, especially given the timing. Am I right?
I plan to stay only 2-3 years since I'm a consultant.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:53 PM

Corcodus,
Right now the real estate market is slow here, as it is in a lot of places from what I read and here. I can tell you, if you have a home for sale under $100k, you're probably not going to have to wait long for it to sell. The homes over $100k seem to be setting quite a while these days. There are plenty of them for sale above $200k, if you're in the market. I'm curious, what kind of consulting job lasts 2 to 3 yrs?

Notiowa,
I'm not sensitive really, I just don't think an opinion of somebody who's "been there a few times" is all that reliable, as opposed to someone who actually lives here. Small town living isn't for everybody I know, but you couldn't give me a place in some big city. I kind of like being able to drive across town, and see a half dozen, or more, people I know along the way. I also like being able to drive anywhere in town, anytime of the day, without fear of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, if you know what I mean. Obviously, from your name, you have some bias against Iowa for whatever reason, so how objective of an opinion can you honestly give? Muscatine is far from eden, but, from what I hear from friends, and family, that live all over the U.S., it isn't a whole lot different problem wise, than anywhere else. By the way, where are you located?

Old 11-26-2007, 05:32 PM

166 posts, read 614,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingit View Post
Corcodus,
Right now the real estate market is slow here, as it is in a lot of places from what I read and here. I can tell you, if you have a home for sale under $100k, you're probably not going to have to wait long for it to sell. The homes over $100k seem to be setting quite a while these days. There are plenty of them for sale above $200k, if you're in the market. I'm curious, what kind of consulting job lasts 2 to 3 yrs?

Notiowa,
I'm not sensitive really, I just don't think an opinion of somebody who's "been there a few times" is all that reliable, as opposed to someone who actually lives here. Small town living isn't for everybody I know, but you couldn't give me a place in some big city. I kind of like being able to drive across town, and see a half dozen, or more, people I know along the way. I also like being able to drive anywhere in town, anytime of the day, without fear of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, if you know what I mean. Obviously, from your name, you have some bias against Iowa for whatever reason, so how objective of an opinion can you honestly give? Muscatine is far from eden, but, from what I hear from friends, and family, that live all over the U.S., it isn't a whole lot different problem wise, than anywhere else. By the way, where are you located?
To the OP - while I was born in Iowa, I moved back here from New Jersey - so while not living in Muscatine myself may be unreliable - I think I can tell you what the culture shock is coming from Jersey to IA. That is, unless you are from one of the few non-most-densly-packed square acres in the garden state? It is a culture shock. HON is a great company, but if you are looking to purchase just to sell again in a few years - and you can afford (I do not know your budget) you may make much more coin purchasing one of the newer downtown condo's or lofts in downtown Iowa City (which I can tell you about) or somewhere in the QC (which I cannot tell you about). Also, in either one of these areas, you may feel more accepted - as you can see from replies in this thread, if you disagree with many (let's not say all) small town folk - they call you names like "troll" or in RL will probably just not associate with you.

Wingit: I do not have a bias against Iowa, I was born in Iowa City and post very favorably on all positive points Iowa. However, it is not "home" for me, thus my handle. I live north of Cedar Rapids currently, & was born and raised in Iowa City until my family relocated out of state prior to HS. I returned because of my fond memories of this state as a child - but there is something about the quick-to-judge (I like you're troll comment here as an example) society that doesn't bode well for me. IMHO - YMMV

Old 11-27-2007, 03:42 PM

Notiowa,
At the time I posted the troll comment, your name was under three or four other different topics as the last poster. I think three out of the four or so comments you had made were less than favorable to anything, Iowa. I am not really someone who is quick to judge by nature. Maybe my troll comment was a little out line, sorry.

Sounds like your return to Iowa didn't go as well as expected. Funny, yet sad, how time changes things you remember being so good isn't it. I myself wouldn't trade a minute of my childhood in Iowa for anywhere in the world. I truly loved growing up in a time when your entertainment was what you made for yourself. I grew up in town, but spent as much of my summers as possible on my aunt and uncles farm near Mt. Pleasant, Iowa. How I would love to go back in time and have some of those days to live over again.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:25 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,415,429 times
you two should just shut up no one cares... Do this in a private message so we don't all have to scroll through your petty conversation!

CORCODUS!!! don't buy a house in muscatine!!!! the market sucks obviously and why would that turn around anytime in the future??? pleaaase i beg you do not buy a house in muscatine haha.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:29 AM

17 posts, read 76,619 times
I moved to Muscatine 3 years ago. I am originally from Burlington, and I find it interesting how everyone from Iowa rips on everyone elses town. I have also lived in Des Moines for a year and Cedar Falls for 3 years.
I must say Muscatine can be very boring. Our mall is terrible and there is a huge lack of retail here-Mostly because we are only 24 miles from the Quad Cities and 35 miles from Iowa City. However, the economy is nothing short of strong. The year I moved here Muscatine was ranked in Forbes magazine as one of the top ten richest small cities in the United States. Muscatine gets a bad name because GPC smells pretty fowl, but on the other hand it provides about 1,000 people with 20.00/hour jobs. I would much rather live in a town that boasts the corporate headquarters for 3 large companies and has a crummy mall, then live somewhere with no jobs. When i need to go shopping which is maybe 4 times a year I drive 24 miles.
Companies in Muscatine: Musco Lighting, Hon, Allsteel, Bandag, Stanley Consutlants, Kent Feeds, GPC, Prime Mover, Muscatine Foods, Carver Pump,
IPSCO Steel,Monsanto-And I probably left some out.

I will also give Muscatine credit for not having legalized gambling because if we did some of these companies may not be here any longer.

To each his own- I am happy living in Iowa. If I wasnt I would move somewhere else. I wouldnt sit around and cry about it the rest of my life.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:40 AM

17 posts, read 76,619 times
Smile Get over yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
i agree with Not Iowa until she said "if the original poster likes small - Muscatine is great. because muscatine simply isn't even a good SMALL town environment, it sucks all around.
To the person from Des Moines who is just being stupid and acting like they are 12 years old. I have lived in Des Moines and I now live in Muscatine. I did actually like living in Des Moines. I worked for EFCO and lived in Altoona for a year. I thought it was a very nice town, but I must say I met alot of people there who though they were way cooler/more important than they really are-and you sound much the same. Some of them acted like they were from the biggest city in the United States and talked bad about every other town in Iowa. Lets be honest-If your looking for lights and action, then no place in Iowa is going to be sufficient. Maybe you can move to Vegas where they are top in every crime category on file. Iowa has a larger population of hogs than people(Including Des Moines). Des Miones is no different. Des Moines is like 5 Muscatines-Wow-Am I suppose to be impressed now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa