Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,924 times

Advertisements

Which is the better place to live? I have noticed there are not many rentals available for people who actually work for a living (most apartments are section 8 or HUD) in Galesburg. I am really concerned about crime, so will probably base the decision on that. Any info on either place is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,699,116 times
You might want to see if you can get access to verifiable crime stats from a RELIABLE source for both Burlington & Galesburg. If you are lucky, you could get them where they are more specific such as broken down by zip code or something of that nature.
I say that because I don't know if you can get a truly accurate reading on the crime situation in a town from what people post here as much of the comment will be anecdotal & perhaps based on emotion rather than fact.
As for example, a few months ago I was in a thread here on Mason City, Ia. & someone commented that there had been "a lot of murders" in Mason City. So, I looked up the yearly data which was available right here on the Mason City page. There were several years where there had been no murders & a few where there had been 1 or 2 but there was no crime epidemic of murder & mayhem in Mason City.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:17 AM

2,020 posts, read 3,195,799 times
You might want to get in contact with the local police department for their input. I've heard of others on these state forums getting info in this way. Good luck to you.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:34 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
I don't know where you got your information, bu Galesburg has lots of rentals that aren't locked into any government program. Availability may be limited right now as it's a two-college town, but in mid-May there will probably be lots of vacancies.

I don't think crime is a big issue in either town. Both have some neighborhoods that seems a little rough, but also some very nice areas.

I lived in Galesburg for about a year. Never lived in Burlington but worked in West Burlington of a couple of years and would frequently go there for shopping and social activities the first 35 years of my life.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:48 PM

137 posts, read 612,064 times
Interesting question. I lived in both from 97-99.

Burlington is very scenic. If you are into the river thing, get a boat and spend your summer on the river.

Galesburg is flat but is positioned between the Quad Cities and Peoria. Many people commute in either direction from Galesburg. Galesburg has more antiquing if you are into that sort of thing. Even though Knox College is there, I barely seemed to notice it.

Both towns have some subtle similarities. Both are rust belt towns which have suffered loss of industry, shedding good paying jobs. Affordable housing. Older housing stock. If my career took me back to that area, I would choose to work and live in Burlington and get a boat.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:48 AM

374 posts, read 759,611 times
If I had to choose, I would pick Burlington. It just seems like a more active, vibrant community. For people who love living on the river, as I did, there is always something to do and the scenery is great. JMO.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:21 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,699,116 times
I surely can identify with the "scenic" factor regarding the river in Burlington as expressed by the last 2 posters here.
Though living hundreds of miles away from Iowa down in the southeast, I am perpetually drawn by my attraction to the river & it's bluffs. Ideally, if I had my way, I'd have a home near the Mississippi River now or at least certain of plans to retire back up near it in Iowa in a few years.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,653 times
Just because people have section 8 doesn't mean there's a lot if crime. I am a RN. and live in Galesburg and the place I live does accept section 8, even though I don't have the assistance. These people work take great care of their children and have watched my house for me anytime I asked. They are not breaking intimately houses, shooting up schools as you obviously think. . Dobt judge a book by its cover!!!!! Thank you ARE

Last edited by El Rhino; 05-27-2013 at 03:12 PM..

Old 05-27-2013, 06:39 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times
It isn't a case of "is there non-section 8 housing", it is a case of avoiding the areas that have it. Statistics can be a wonderful thing, and there is an enormous correlation between section 8 housing and crime rates. Personally, I suggest to the OP to open up the list of possibilities as wide as possible and make a list of the things he (or she) wants in a city. Then start searching the country for cities that match his/her needs. If they figure out the most specific things they want, there is a city vs city forum on city-data where they could post the list and ask for suggestions about which places might match their needs.

If you are considering where to live between only two locations and already are wary of one of them, you're putting yourself at a huge disadvantage.

PS. Please don't insult forum members for their desire to live or not live in a particular area.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:06 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly12 View Post
Just because people have section 8 doesn't mean there's a lot if crime. I am a RN. and live in Galesburg and the place I live does accept section 8, even though I don't have the assistance. These people work take great care of their children and have watched my house for me anytime I asked. They are not breaking intimately houses, shooting up schools as you obviously think. . Dobt judge a book by its cover!!!!! Thank you ARE
I don't think anyone made that correlation. I think the OP's comment about Section 8 housing was more along the lines of not finding a lot of housing for himself/herself, and that he/she was concerned about crime, not that he/she was concerned about crime BECAUSE there is a lot of section 8 housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa