Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 29,066 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Davenport soon, and I've come across a lot of nicely renovated apartments downtown. I'll be working downtown and would love to walk to work, but I am curious about the safety of the area, during what seems to be a mid-revitalization period. I've heard that the Palmer College neighborhood can be a little rough.

For context, I'm a mid-20's male and am used to fairly urban environments. I'm looking at both City View apartments and Crescent lofts. Is there much to worry about in this area? It's hard for me to imagine this area? Thanks so much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 07:49 PM

415 posts, read 1,738,596 times
You'll be fine in any of the newly renovated apartments downtown. The CityView is on the northern edge of the downtown, so its closer to some of the less desirable areas, but even in those areas, its not like you get mugged walking down the street. CityView has better finishing than the Crescent stuff, but its less urban/industrial. I lived in the Crescent Macaroni building for 3 years and never had an issue.

Here are a few links and threads about those 2 apartment projects:

CityView Apartments
-review on my blog

Downtown Davenport progress
-City-Data thread

City-Data post with a bunch of pictures of the Crescent Lofts area

Old 07-14-2010, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 29,066 times
Excellent; thanks for your reply.

I'd love to live in the Crescent Lofts, but they don't have anything available in a 1BR. As such, it's looking like City View might be my option, and I've heard those are quite nice. Thanks for the links; I'd already stumbled upon your City View blog post, which was also helpful.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:18 PM

3 posts, read 18,965 times
i was born and raised in davenport, i worked at the cresent maccaroni plant reas ago.
great place to live could no longer take the snow.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:10 PM

87 posts, read 383,272 times
You should be all right. If you head north between 8th and 15th, gaines st. around that area, you can get into some sketchy neighborhoods, around palmer college can be rough at times, but the downtown area as a whole isnt bad at all. They are in the process of building a huge riverwalk park downtown, and more bike lanes and trying to make it a lot more pedestrian friendly, because a lot of people are moving into the renovated lofts. When they get all the construction done, it should look pretty nice.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:38 PM

81 posts, read 208,790 times
I grew up on 7th and Marquette; Davenport aint that bad. I wouldnt move back though, not anywhere in the midwest.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:29 AM

170 posts, read 826,430 times
Here's my $0.02:

It seems like a lot of cool things are happening to downtown Davenport lately. The new lofts are really nice and there are several new restaurants popping up. Plus lots of bars and things to do. It could be a very nice area in time.

I'd try to stay south of 6th Street and east of Gaines St. I'm sure you could branch out a bit, but it quickly gets dodgy when you leave those areas. My sister went to Palmer College and lived at 13th and Main, and then moved to Farnam Street. She said both areas were pretty rough, but that the "troublemakers" in the areas seemed to know who lived in the area and who was just passing through. For example, her car was never broken into, but several friends' cars were when they came to visit her.

If you can't stay right in the downtown core, I'd recommend living on or north of Locust Street.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:36 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
My 97 year old great aunt had lived in Davenport since 1942. She has stated that in general the town has gone in cycles of urban blight and urban renewal. When I was there in 2003 it seemed like it was in the urban renewal stage.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:29 AM

449 posts, read 1,393,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickasarbata View Post
Here's my $0.02:

It seems like a lot of cool things are happening to downtown Davenport lately. The new lofts are really nice and there are several new restaurants popping up. Plus lots of bars and things to do. It could be a very nice area in time.

I'd try to stay south of 6th Street and east of Gaines St. I'm sure you could branch out a bit, but it quickly gets dodgy when you leave those areas. My sister went to Palmer College and lived at 13th and Main, and then moved to Farnam Street. She said both areas were pretty rough, but that the "troublemakers" in the areas seemed to know who lived in the area and who was just passing through. For example, her car was never broken into, but several friends' cars were when they came to visit her.

If you can't stay right in the downtown core, I'd recommend living on or north of Locust Street.
Spot on. I used to live on Farnam and Kirkwood for years. It is what I would describe as a checkered neighborhood; one block is okay, the next is filthy. If you don't live in one of the complexes in downtown I would not even consider living anywhere south of Locust. For that matter, I would have reservations living south of Central Park Ave. for good measure.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:52 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar12 View Post
Spot on. I used to live on Farnam and Kirkwood for years. It is what I would describe as a checkered neighborhood; one block is okay, the next is filthy. If you don't live in one of the complexes in downtown I would not even consider living anywhere south of Locust. For that matter, I would have reservations living south of Central Park Ave. for good measure.

When people say don't live south of Locust, are you saying it because people get robbed, mugged, beaten etc. in that area? or because it's "filthy"??

What about all the Palmer students that live in that area? In my early 20's I spent years living on the corner of 6th and Brown.."The Ghetto" according to some and never had anyone look at me wrong, and I was a white dude from Bettendorf.

The crime in Davenport is soooo over hyped by people whose nuts have never dropped. The worse crime that's ever happened to anyone I know (in my entire life) is maybe a car was broken into and maybe some spray paint on the garage or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa