Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 11:22 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,698,666 times

Advertisements

I just found out my Dad has is heavily invested in preferred stocks of big bluechip companies like Microsoft and AT&T, et. al.

He really likes preferred's for the following reasons:

1. Like many folks, he still holds that notion that "stocks are sexy", because at least you have a chance to make some serious money with stocks if you do it right (yeah but most don't end up doing it right...is my own view on that).

2. His preferred's pay high dividends. He's retired and likes the income.

3. In the event of BK/liquidation, he will get paid after corporate debt holders, but before all the common stock holders so there is a measure of supposed safety with preferreds (personally I think that's dubious because after the debt holders are paid I'd imagine usually there's already nothing left over)(in fact my Dad had $25,000 in Enron preferreds and all he got back was $5,000 and it took about 10 years after Enron BK'd to get the money back!)

My Dad is about 70 and retired, on SS. He owns a house worth 1/2 mill (easy) free and clear. No debts. Rest of assets are investment securities, about 40% individual common stocks, 20% individual preferred stocks, 20% indexed fund shares of preferred stocks, 18% bonds and bond funds (no Treasuries whatsoever, mostly utility company bonds), 2% cash.

Once I found this out, I started to get concerned that this is a very, very risky investment strategy. He is not a market insider kind of guy at all. He does some reading about the markets and investments and listens to his stockbrokers' advice (not necessarily always taking it).

If markets really crashed out, my Dad would be hosed. But then again, they crashed real bad in March but now the DOW is back headed for 10,000.

What do you guys think about this? Do the preferred stocks really offer much protection from losses versus common stocks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 12:11 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,454,360 times
Preferred stocks have a number of advantages. I don't think your dad's strategy is necessarily risky. Most of the risk lies in the potential that the company could eat flaming death, in which case he might not get his money back. So the moral of that story is don't buy preferreds of companies that might crater. You get a lot more protection from the solidity of the company than from the type of stock issue, is what I'm saying.

I wonder if he's looked into closed-end bond funds. I greatly prefer those to open-end conventional fixed income funds. You can often buy them at a discount to NAV, resulting in a strong rate of return. And while it's possible one of their several hundred bond holdings might default, they aren't all going to default.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:27 AM

995 posts, read 3,929,159 times
He is 70 and he invests 80% of his assets in stocks? Without more information, to me, it sounds too risky. The general rule of thumb is to invest (100-age)% in stocks.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:29 AM

929 posts, read 2,091,971 times
I support investing in the stock market for long term investing, I just don't like single stocks. There is not enough diversification, which means you are greatly increasing your risk. I would switch to mutual funds with a good long track record, leaving enough in liquid savings for emergencies. You would think after getting burned in the Enron deal, your father would be much more cautious. At the age of 70, you don't want to make serious mistakes with your nest egg. Either way, your dad is in good shape financially. Make sure he has long term care insurance in place.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:24 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,914,224 times
Seems a little heavy in stocks for age 70. I heard the adage 100-age for stock % as well, but I dont follow it either. I'm back to 80% stocks where I 'should' be at 60%. But I dont think things like GE, MMM, PG, PFE are really high risk.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:59 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,145,658 times
Preferred stocks are a little different. They're subject to interest rate fluctuations, in addition to market fluctuations. As a result, when interest rates go back up, it will have an effect on the share prices. Maybe not as much as the market recovery itself, but it will have an impact..

Last edited by sonarrat; 08-25-2009 at 11:11 AM..

Old 08-27-2009, 03:53 AM

35 posts, read 180,287 times
Very unusual father

Old 08-27-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Preferred stocks are a little different. They're subject to interest rate fluctuations, in addition to market fluctuations. As a result, when interest rates go back up, it will have an effect on the share prices. Maybe not as much as the market recovery itself, but it will have an impact..

Why are preferred shares subject to interest rate fluctuations?

Old 08-29-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiderTrack View Post
Very unusual father

Yup, a real piece of work. Do you know him?

Old 08-30-2009, 11:13 AM

35 posts, read 180,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
Yup, a real piece of work. Do you know him?
No, I don't, but it seems to me so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing