Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 10:16 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Just water seeking its own level.

Not being too harsh on you Wall Street watcher types, but who gives a rat's @ss about the stock market? Only two sets of folks that I really follow that do . . . the sleaze balls that sell the otherwise worthless paper and the chumps who buy it. Do not be either of those and it makes little real world difference.

It was either going to severely reduced value now, or in the not so far future when the boomers who have been dumping their retirement money into the silly mess try to take some out.
not for nothing but wall street is a major part of our economy. We are a F.I.R.E. (financial, Insurance and Real Estate) economy. So until they can transition to something else, it will have impact on us.

oh and this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 10:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
It is not smug. It is severe situational awareness.

I agree there are likely to be "effects." Not all effects from events are bad. I can see many very good effects in the pending outcomes.

If it is the death of the American Empire . . . Good for US. The return to the American Republic. Same thing the fall of the Soviet Empire meant for many million Russians.

If it leads to the end of US international military (mis)adventures . . . Good for US.

If it means the death or at least major curtailing of Global/International Corporate Capitalism . . . Good for US.

If it means "investing" again becomes opening small stores, small farms, and local community business, where real world community people provide capital for each other to own and operate such businesses in their own communities . . . Good for US.

(the good effect list goes long and wide)

I am not saying that is how things will play out -- but this much I have learned in life -- It matters less what cards you are dealt than how you play them. I plan to play them towards what I see as good rather than shedding tears over the Death of the Dinosaurs.
I do agree with your assessment. It depends on how you plan and then play your cards.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:40 AM

944 posts, read 3,062,427 times
I think that the markets SHOULD tank. But you know what? I wouldn't be surprised if it goes down 250 today, and tomorrow some company along the lines of Cinnabon will report higher than expected earnings and stocks will surge by 400 points. It's all become a senseless game detached from any reality whatsoever.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:52 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,038,990 times
Its all too up and down now to make entrepaneurs legally. To make any real money nowadays, you just gotta go out and do what you have to do. The 2007 floods here in the UK made me reel back from investing in the markets and I've seen it get worse month after month. Lucky me, I could've have made either a loss or nothing at all. I was that close to investing, the pile of bills was actually in my hand!

Old 09-15-2008, 10:53 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Quote:

I agree there are likely to be "effects." Not all effects from events are bad. I can see many very good effects in the pending outcomes.
Not necessarily so..

Quote:
If it is the death of the American Empire . . . Good for US. The return to the American Republic. Same thing the fall of the Soviet Empire meant for many million Russians.
So far, all I see is the expansion of the American Empire... We are building more military installations overseas such as for Poland... doesn't look like a return to anything...

Quote:
If it leads to the end of US international military (mis)adventures . . . Good for US.
That remains to be seen, we are sending incursions to Pakistan, threatening Iran, condemning Russia, and sending assassins to Venezula.. regardless of who becomes president, I don't see any of that changing..

Quote:
If it means the death or at least major curtailing of Global/International Corporate Capitalism . . . Good for US.
Death of global corporate capitalism? As we are hemorrhaging money and jobs, we are actually pleading (begging) with other countries to buy our financial institutions... I wouldn't call that curtailing...

Quote:
If it means "investing" again becomes opening small stores, small farms, and local community business, where real world community people provide capital for each other to own and operate such businesses in their own communities . . . Good for US.

I am not saying that is how things will play out -- but this much I have learned in life -- It matters less what cards you are dealt than how you play them. I plan to play them towards what I see as good rather than shedding tears over the Death of the Dinosaurs.
I suspect the credit crunch will stop small stores from opening as it is deemed to high risk for banks and other lenders. More than likely we are headed towards a depression as no candidate has provided a viable answer to our problems..

Old 09-15-2008, 11:25 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
[quote=Philip T;5274818]
Quote:

Actually Russia was in a world of hurt for a long time after it's disintegration. Also they have the Bosnian situation and Chechnya as well. Now it Georgia's turn to take a hit. It has been all roses over there. Our fall won't be quite as serve. But it will suck for a lot of people that didn't plan well.

Quote:

Quote the original G.W.
"George Washington's Farewell Address">

Quote:
As avenues to foreign influence in innumerable ways, such attachments are particularly alarming to the truly enlightened and independent patriot. How many opportunities do they afford to tamper with domestic factions, to practice the arts of seduction, to mislead public opinion, to influence or awe the public councils. Such an attachment of a small or weak towards a great and powerful nation dooms the former to be the satellite of the latter.

Against the insidious wiles of foreign influence (I conjure you to believe me, fellow-citizens) the jealousy of a free people ought to be constantly awake, since history and experience prove that foreign influence is one of the most baneful foes of republican government. But that jealousy to be useful must be impartial; else it becomes the instrument of the very influence to be avoided, instead of a defense against it. Excessive partiality for one foreign nation and excessive dislike of another cause those whom they actuate to see danger only on one side, and serve to veil and even second the arts of influence on the other. Real patriots who may resist the intrigues of the favorite are liable to become suspected and odious, while its tools and dupes usurp the applause and confidence of the people, to surrender their interests.

The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is in extending our commercial relations, to have with them as little political connection as possible. So far as we have already formed engagements, let them be fulfilled with perfect good faith. Here let us stop. Europe has a set of primary interests which to us have none; or a very remote relation. Hence she must be engaged in frequent controversies, the causes of which are essentially foreign to our concerns. Hence, therefore, it must be unwise in us to implicate ourselves by artificial ties in the ordinary vicissitudes of her politics, or the ordinary combinations and collisions of her friendships or enmities.

Our detached and distant situation invites and enables us to pursue a different course. If we remain one people under an efficient government. the period is not far off when we may defy material injury from external annoyance; when we may take such an attitude as will cause the neutrality we may at any time resolve upon to be scrupulously respected; when belligerent nations, under the impossibility of making acquisitions upon us, will not lightly hazard the giving us provocation; when we may choose peace or war, as our interest, guided by justice, shall counsel.

Quote:
I personally don't see this happening in the near future. But I can only hope that our government and more importantly our people will see the advantage of creating and buying from the Mom's and Pop's stores/manufacturing. Yeah I know they are more expensive than the Multi-corps. But we as a nation must create a stable economic environment. and we just don't have that right now.

Quote:
Quote:
What you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
not for nothing but wall street is a major part of our economy. We are a F.I.R.E. (financial, Insurance and Real Estate) economy. So until they can transition to something else, it will have impact on us.

oh and this
As usual W.S. on point. In my opinion it going to suck for awhile but we will pull through and hopefully we as a nation will be smarter for it............Wait Is American Idol still on the air?????????......well maybe we'll be smarter.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:38 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,082,979 times
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
i think that the markets should tank. But you know what? I wouldn't be surprised if it goes down 250 today, and tomorrow some company along the lines of cinnabon will report higher than expected earnings and stocks will surge by 400 points. It's all become a senseless game detached from any reality whatsoever.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:13 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
- 504.48 Dow.

-81.36 Nasdaq

Yep. Pretty bloody. Though trading didn't hit the stop number (500) until 4pm.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:17 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
there was a sudden precipitous decline in the last 30 minutes, I'm curious what was the news that triggered that selloff?

Old 09-15-2008, 02:50 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
there was a sudden precipitous decline in the last 30 minutes, I'm curious what was the news that triggered that selloff?
(as I heard from a sad dalidud [pharmco grade heroin] junkie -- I just spent $1000 today and . . . . )

tomorrow I am going to wake and do it again.

It may be that sudden awareness there really is no basement under the financial house of cards.

The new belief system may be that it is better to dump at a loss now, rather than ride the ship down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing