Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 04:34 PM

192 posts, read 560,309 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Lots of my friends are having babies, and I'd like to set up some sort of annual b-day gift for the kids that will appreciate over time and be easy for me to keep up with (unlike the random junk I'm always desperately searching for in the toy department). When I was younger, my parents would buy bonds from time to time, and they really came in useful when I headed off to college.

Are bonds still a good way to go? Or is there a better (higher yield but still stable) alternative for this type of gift?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 06:34 AM

27 posts, read 73,844 times
Now-a-days there are many plans for children that would help them for their education or fulfill other necesity.

You can go with any of these that you think is better to go with.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:35 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
Treasuries are certainly very stable and easy to buy (TreasuryDirect). I hestitate to buy anything that may require much management of the long term so have given savings bonds.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,955 times
Default Re:

Treasury bonds have the longest maturity, from ten years to thirty years. So its a nice and effective idea to buy them.. Go ahead with gifting children every year.

MyInvestorsPlace - trading, value, investing, forex, stock, market, technical, analysis, systems [url]www.myinvestorsplace.com[/url]

Old 10-07-2008, 11:32 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,084,255 times
If the US defaults on its obligations, your T-Bills are not safe.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:45 AM

707 posts, read 1,293,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
If the US defaults on its obligations, your T-Bills are not safe.
It US defaults on it's obligations , our T-Bills will be the least of our worries!!

Old 10-16-2008, 11:25 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,261,592 times
Regular savings bonds are convenient and a hassle free way to go. Some folks laugh at the lack of sophistication (and return) therein but it is reliable and requires almost no time and attention as a savings vehicle. I put two daughters through undergrad and grad school that way. A Treasury Direct account is also a newer alternative you might want to consider. Regarding prior comments concerning the viability of the US, "this too shall pass" --- America will survive and be better for it. People like you who plan to help kids get an education are the kind of people this nation needs. "May the winds be at your back."

Old 10-17-2008, 06:25 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
I'd suggest checking with a tax advisor or at least reading up on them before buying. Generally if you buy series EE and I and use for qualified education expenses then you wouldn't have to pay tax on the interest. But these bonds would be in the parents' names and not the children's.
I love savings bonds--they're not exciting and many people consider them pretty boring, but that's what I love about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing