Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2023, 12:37 PM

107,031 posts, read 109,346,048 times

Advertisements

depends on what alternatives are doing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2023, 03:34 PM

13,113 posts, read 7,580,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

and depends on what are the expectations for a person in the shortterm, midterm and long-term.

and whatever depend's "ands" conditions...
YMMV

Old 09-09-2023, 05:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,794 posts, read 58,282,396 times
Quote:
I use various alternatives for my 'bond' allocation (including a few bonds), but not very many. 85% of my bond allocation is in alternatives

Old 09-09-2023, 07:21 PM

461 posts, read 23,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Wade Pfau is a very recognized authority in investing circles—usually given credit for accurate insight

This article is an analysis of a recent paper Pfau has presented that advocates using fixed income annuities vs bonds in investment accounts
The author of the linked article takes issue with Pfau’s analysis

Interesting to me—hope to others

https://www.advisorperspectives.com/...ent-allan-roth
Just don't do annuities. The money becomes THEIRS, no longer your own. I suppose a case could be made for a term-annuity. But not one of those that guarantees you money in retirement forever. Annuities are complicated, convoluted, and come with high fees. And what if you keel-over tomorrow? A charitable annuity makes some sense, if you have your mind made up to donate the money, anyhow.

Old 09-10-2023, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I use various alternatives for my 'bond' allocation (including a few bonds), but not very many. 85% of my bond allocation is in alternatives
and what do you use as alternatives?

Old 09-10-2023, 09:12 AM

6,647 posts, read 4,346,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantsForNukes View Post
Just don't do annuities. The money becomes THEIRS, no longer your own. I suppose a case could be made for a term-annuity. But not one of those that guarantees you money in retirement forever. Annuities are complicated, convoluted, and come with high fees. And what if you keel-over tomorrow? A charitable annuity makes some sense, if you have your mind made up to donate the money, anyhow.
Don't think you can make a blanket statement - "don't do annuities". SPIAs can play a role in a portfolio. For example, we have used SPIAs (paying 7% for the rest of our lives) for part of our fixed income allocation. With that said, we have enough in equities to offset inflation. Further, we will have enough other assets for our heirs. SPIAs are not complicated and have relatively low fees. However, I don't recommend other types of annuities, especially index annuities.

Old 09-10-2023, 09:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,794 posts, read 58,282,396 times
Quote:
and what do you use as alternatives?
As per Black Rock...
And

https://thecollegeinvestor.com/39280...-1643302929827
Here are bond alternatives to consider.
  1. Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) ...
  2. Real Estate Crowdfunding Companies. ...
  3. Preferred Stocks. ...
  4. Dividend Stocks. ...
  5. Fixed Annuities. ...
  6. High-Yield Savings Accounts. ...
  7. Real Estate Debt. ...
  8. Worthy Bonds.

Plus a few more!

There are several groups in our area that offer a variety of private lending / equity opportunities. (private 'bonds' if you will)
One group of retired friends pool equity for various local projects. (risk is involved, this team is very seasoned with a strong cadre of attorneys, investment bankers, retired CEO's... a fun and informative and creative group.)

I'm sure there are plenty of these throughout the world. (some more creative than you would care to be involved!)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-10-2023 at 09:46 AM..

Old 09-10-2023, 10:25 AM

i would consider most of that list not bond proxies .

they are all joined at the hip to equities.

dividends or not , they are stocks .

reits are not going to react like treasuries in a recession or depression , same with real estate crow funding .

same with preferred stocks . they are tied to how a company is doing

ask your self if the investment will soar and protect you in a recession or depression.

if the answer is no, then you are not really diversified.

you just have different versions of assets that respond to the same economic outcomes .

even high yield and corporate bonds offer no protection like treasuries do . they are more coupled to stocks.

2008 saw corporate bonds fall or barely rise while long term treasuries soared.

if anything equities and gold tend to offer more diversification…in fact equities and gold have beaten equities and bonds over most time frames for more then 2 decades.

most on your list are either the same risk and volatility as equities or a slightly less proxie but they have none of the protection and diversification that treasuries hold when it’s their day in the sun. as that part of the business cycle comes around

there really are only 4 assets that offer true diversification and react directly to

prosperity

recession

depression

very high inflation / weak dollar

they are equities , gold , long term treasuries, cash instruments and to a partial extent intermediate term treasuries

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-10-2023 at 11:03 AM..

Old 09-10-2023, 11:17 AM

Quote:
for those who want to know how it’s done by either them or you , here you go :

these are older numbers so don’t go by the prices at the time this was worked up . i have no interest in updating the prices and redoing it

so here is how the sausage is made , but unlike sausage which taste great , the taste here is MEH at best .

{.... SNIP}

I like sausage. The easiest to make is, "head cheese," IMO, Other types of sausages need equipment and getting the ratios correct. We no longer have the space or equipment to make sausage, Thus I am on the lookout for prepackaged.

Likewise, I investigated options and spreads prior to discovering GLWB (Variable & Fixed-Indexed) annuities. A packaged product was an easier choice and had some specific advantages, at the time.

I think that Annuities in general can be used as an asset class. (purchased GLWB ~20% of our Income . No idea what % of our wealth but certainly declining).
I think RE is an asset class. (~40% of Income. Variable % of our wealth).
CD's are an increasing component, moving discretionary cash to longer holding periods. Currently non-Income.

YMMV

Last edited by leastprime; 09-10-2023 at 12:10 PM..

Old 09-10-2023, 12:10 PM

I think that Annuities in general can be used as an asset class. (purchased GLWB ~20% of our Income . No idea what % of our wealth but certainly declining).
I think RE is an asset class. (~40% of Income. Variable % of our wealth).
Our CD's are an increasing asset, moving discretionary cash to longer holding periods. Currently non-Income.

Our spendable Income should be increasing over the next 4-6 years (~80 yo) as we take more Income from the GWLB annuities, PLUS loan is paid off, and taking "$ome dough" from discretionary stock-cash accounts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing