Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2014, 11:21 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times

Advertisements

For some reason, I'm having a mental block thinking through the logic & issues about switching from a higher cost fund to a low cost one in the same family in a taxable account.

20+ years ago, we invested through an independent financial advisor. He put our cash into several index funds offered through SEI (SEI - Home - US) which seems to offer their funds through financial advisors.

Here's an example. We're invested in SSPIX, a Fortune 500 index fund offered by SEI (http://www.seic.com/docs/IMU/SEI_SIMT_SP500Anet.pdf), and over the years we've reinvested dividends, so there are numerous "lots" each with a different cost basis. And, because this spans 20 years in this fund, I have substantial paper gains.

The SSPIX currently says its expense ratio is .54% before fee waivers, and .43% after fee waivers (which may be discontinued any time).

A Fortune 500 fund from Vanguard (VOO), of course, has an expense ratio of .05%.

So... here I am years later, and I don't need the funds any time soon.

Should I:

a) sell the SEI fund SSPIX, incur the tax obligation, and reinvest the proceeds back into VOO so it can grow with the lower expense ratio?

b) let it ride because I don't need the money right now?

c) a combination based on lot date (short term vs. long term cap gains on reinvested dividends)?

d) something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing