Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 01:56 PM

106,706 posts, read 108,880,922 times

Advertisements

Sold about 1/3 of the assorted bond funds a few months ago and went to a growth and income mix.

If we drop a fair amount i will go up to about 1/2 in the growth and income model.

now that the bulk of the capital gains have been made in the income funds i don't want to keep everything in that model going forward.

so 2/3 are still in that income model and 1/3 in the growth and income model. so far so good and the volatility is at a comfortable level for me.

when i refer to the models i am talking about the fidelity insight newsletter models i have been following for over 25 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 02:56 PM

293 posts, read 250,117 times
Well, good to hear that you lightened up on the bond exposure before the axe drops...

Old 05-24-2013, 03:20 PM

106,706 posts, read 108,880,922 times
it may be quite a while before that happens. even if the fed left the market if investors around the world feel longer term rates are okay where they are then not much will change.

the fed is buying 85 billion a month in a market that trades 1 trillion a month.

the global bond markets are 100 trillion dollars. it will be investors who decide where longer term rates go not the fed when push comes to shove.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:03 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times
waste of money. Buy a bell weather dividend producing stock instead, just don't do it right now. Trust me when I say the markets are overvalued here and bullishness levels through the roof.

Wait until this chart gets down to 70

$BPINDU

then buy a nice dividend producing dow stock or a basket of them to be safe.

Dividend Yield for Dow Jones Ind. Avg. Stocks, Sorted by Yield - indexArb.com

Want to be more aggressive, buy REM... a basket of real estate investment trusts in ETF form. High dividend, higher risk, but they've done well the last few years, and will continue to do well because... without the fed artificially keeping interest rates low, the economy will collapse. REM is on sale right now.

Disclaimer: This is not investment advice, it's merely a bunch of words and letters pasted randomly onto a messageboard without any meaning whatsoever.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:39 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,079,569 times
I don't think rates can go any lower on shorter term (less than an year) CDs. Right now, CDs are only good if you want to bank money and make a tad bit of interest. You can buy longer term CDs, but I wouldn't. There are brokerage accounts where you can by brokered CDs, and right now, I'm buying two or three month CDs that pay only .2, but that is better than the .01 the money market account pays. However, I want my money to be a liquid as possible and I want to absolutely preserve the principle, and buying various two or three month CDs helps with that.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:26 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Even when rates are higher, typically after taxes and inflation the real returns ranged from low to negative.

usually the higher the rates the higher inflation is.

Getting 13% in 18% inflation back in the day was a loser. no other asset class has had as many negative return years as cash instuments did historically.
OP: ^^This is correct.

CDs are a savings vehicle. They are not really an investment. Savings generally don't grow your money. They typically do not outpace the rate of inflation, although they sometimes can by a percentage point or two, but rarely more than that.

Investments typically are more long term vehicles. They typically earn significantly more than the inflation rate, but they will lose money in some years. That is why they are long term vehicles. If you are putting the money away for 40 years, losing money in some of those years is not the end of the world if you can earn 6-8% over that 40 year period (sometimes more if you're lucky).

Typical investments for retirement usually involve stocks and bonds. Normally, you can buy a fund which will pick the investments for you. They are called mutual funds. You'll see a lot of people referring to them on this board as simply "funds". (E.G. "Index funds" are one type of mutual fund).

Go to the library and get a book on the basics of investing.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:16 AM

60 posts, read 98,252 times
hi guys I am thinking about using barclays online savings account https://www.banking.barclaysus.com/index.html anyone got experience with their online savings account? any problems? thanks

online savings account as long as they are FDIC insured....then it should be no problem huh? after FDIC just look at their rates, if they got debit card and whatever you need in the bank?

Old 08-09-2013, 10:31 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,458,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crysillion View Post
Hello!

I'm new to city-data, but whenever I google things like these, I always get threads from city-data, so I figured I'd make an account and ask here.

I'm 25 years old and want to start investing some money. That's pretty much the long and the short of it. I would like to invest money now, so that when I'm 55~65 or what have you, I have a steady, reliable income. Looking towards the future.

From what I've read, CD's are the most safe and reliable way to get the ball rolling on this, and on the topics I read, they spoke of 5% interest. That seemed pretty good. It'd add up pretty nicely over the years and really begin to work out. That was until I checked out bankrate.com and saw that it was closer to 1.5% than it was 5%.

So, as someone who knows nothing at all about investing but still wishes to get involved, what can you tell me about CDs? Are they simply not worth investing in anymore? 1.5% looks like it'd provide some really lackluster yields - even in the long-term.

Ideally, I wanted to do something like invest 2k every year and just let it compound and save up, but it sounds like the rates just keep getting lower and lower and lower.

Thanks!
While this thread got off-track a bit, there's good advice throughout.

If you don't have any investing experience, a CD is an excellent place to start to hold emergency money or investing money until you're comfortable with more involved investing. (I still always recommend the free investing classes at Morningstar.)

There is supposition that CD rates will hit 2.65% by 2015, better, but not what you'd call an investment vehicle. I keep a variety of long-term CD's as a percentage of my total investments, but I'm (ahem) a lot older than you, so take less risks now.

I'd suggest building up your savings/CD's to the level of an adequate emergency fund before venturing into mutual funds.

The number one rule of investing is--invest in what you understand. Until you're comfortable looking at stocks or mutual funds, stick with savings and CD's. (Or go with an advisory firm.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing