Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2013, 03:55 PM

19 posts, read 35,503 times

Advertisements

So I'm 21 right now making 30k a year and in 4-5 years I will have hopefully saved between 40-50k. My boyfriend, whom I plan to marry after I get my degree, will have saved 60-70k in that time. Just Incase you were wondering, we both live with my parents and have virtually no bills other than car payments and student loans on my end, that's why we would be able to save so much.
So to the point.. If we bought a house, put down 80% on a 100k house then paid the rest within 5-10 years then bought a new house and rent out the old one.. Would it be worth it or are there other ways to invest our money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 04:46 PM

24,411 posts, read 27,025,921 times
So you'll have $90k to $120k in 5 years.

You'll put down $80k, leaving you roughly $10k to $30k.

This is a bit tight here because buying a house will increase your liability such as property tax, insurance, maintenance etc.

You should have at least a 6 month emergency fund in your account.

It is hard to do research now because a lot can change in 5 years.

You will need to look at what rent can you charge, add up all your expenses, and see what return you can realistically receive.

I personally think you would be better off opening a Roth IRA and making your maximum contributions and then invest that money in some funds, stocks, ETFs etc.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:50 PM

25,612 posts, read 17,351,439 times
We own rental property and have other investments as well. So it has worked out well for us.

But for you? I dunno. Depends on how willing and able you are to do the maintenance work on the house you are renting out.
We built our first townhouse. Lived in one side; rented the other. Paid it off, and moved on but kept the property. And like I said, it worked out.

Dunno where you are but in our area, we specialized in small homes which appeal to single mothers. It's hard for single mothers to find a two bedroom home, so we actually get calls to see if we have anything open. And that's nice. What I'm saying is we stay away from the standard 3 bedroom 2 bath properties because those types of homes attract people with teenage kids, extra cars, roommates and that kind of stuff. My friends with the standard 3-2-2 have nothing but trouble.

Now, after getting everything paid for and retiring, I rarely get a call from one of the tenants. We have good properties (don't buy junk!) with good tenants.

As for how much to put down and so forth, that's all a judgement call, and your judgement is probably as good as mine. Do the best you can, be flexible and make the plan work out.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:40 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,017,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cas226 View Post
So I'm 21 right now making 30k a year and in 4-5 years I will have hopefully saved between 40-50k. My boyfriend, whom I plan to marry after I get my degree, will have saved 60-70k in that time. Just Incase you were wondering, we both live with my parents and have virtually no bills other than car payments and student loans on my end, that's why we would be able to save so much.
So to the point.. If we bought a house, put down 80% on a 100k house then paid the rest within 5-10 years then bought a new house and rent out the old one.. Would it be worth it or are there other ways to invest our money?
Renting out houses really depends on your temperament. Here is a really great series of blog entries written for people considering this. The guy invests in residential real estate himself, but starts his first entry with why you may not want to invest in real estate.

Real Estate 101: Summary (Free Money Finance)

But yes, there are other investment options besides just residential real estate. You can invest in mutual funds. Normally, mutual funds invest in stocks, bonds, or a combination of both. I personally think the "balanced" mutual funds that invest in a mix of stocks and bonds are best for most people. Of course, there's nothing saying you can't invest in residential real estate AND mutual funds as well. Lots of people do that.

You should also learn about Individual Retirement Accounts or IRAs. If you designate your savings as an IRA, you can't touch the money without penalties...but there are tax benefits. There are 2 different kids of IRAs...Regular and Roth.

2012 & 2013 Roth IRA Basics

Old 04-29-2013, 07:41 AM

842 posts, read 2,590,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cas226 View Post
Ultimately it will be your decision, but since you are asking I can tell you based on experience ... and this is from someone that owns both rental properties and a primary place of residency. I understand the desire to payoff a home and not have to rely on paying a mortgage but you are very young and if you have great credit you can take advantage of this historically low interest rate, and a 30 year mortgage with a 20% down payment may not be a bad thing.

It is always good to use the bank's money while investing your own in some stocks, CDs, bonds, etc. However, I do not think it is wise to tie up that much of your own money into a house that is in reality a debt .... believe it or not. In the event that you need emergency funds then all your money would be tied up into something you really do not own while still paying a mortgage. If your payments are say $500 per month and you can afford an extra $50-$100 per payment, you would be surprised to see how much you can accelerate your payment and not take the exact 30 years to payoff your mortgage.

I know there are those out there that may suggest paying rent, but try not to listen to those folks and do what is best and smarter for you and your future. For the most part it is always better buying your own home because of the tax write-off and other benefits of being a home owner as opposed to paying your rent money into the pockets of someone else. Bottom line is buy if you can, do not tie up 80% of your life savings into a house because your house will build equity especially if it is in a covet and decent neighborhood. Reserve some of your money in liquid form for a rainy day or into interest bearing short term investments that are easily accessible and safe ....... also try to minimize your debt and you will be fine.

Good luck on your future marriage and I wish you and yours all the best and abundant success that life has to offer. Cheers!

Old 04-29-2013, 12:33 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,504,481 times
That sounds like a fine plan except for the student loans you'll have. My recommendation is to pay those off when you are young and get them out of the way before doing the real estate thing..

Its great you want to scrap together 80K for a home, but you are probably better off using that 80K for the loans first, then go after the house. The problem with houses is they tend to anchor you in one place. Why would you want to be anchored in one location at 25? Settle down when you are 30 instead...

I like your willingness to save money, I'd just use it differently.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:39 PM

25,612 posts, read 17,351,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
That sounds like a fine plan except for the student loans you'll have. My recommendation is to pay those off when you are young and get them out of the way before doing the real estate thing..

Its great you want to scrap together 80K for a home, but you are probably better off using that 80K for the loans first, then go after the house. The problem with houses is they tend to anchor you in one place. Why would you want to be anchored in one location at 25? Settle down when you are 30 instead...

I like your willingness to save money, I'd just use it differently.
Yeah. Good advice. The OP is young and probably doesn't have much experience with life's willingness to jack around with us.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:55 PM

66 posts, read 78,748 times
I'm 23 and in the process of doing something similar. I graduated without any debt, though, so that gave me a pretty hefty leg up. I would definitely pay off the debt as soon as you can and then re-evaluate. Home ownership has its highs and lows, but you certainly don't need to be in any kind of rush. Think it through. Do you have any plans to live in the place first? Either way, you might have to as I don't know that you could qualify for two mortgages based on your income; I'm thinking that's the reason why you want to pay off the rental first?

Read everything you can on investing - it will really help. Blogs too. I'd recommend Afford Anything. It CAN be done (I'm proof of that) but you have to WANT to do it. I spent my 23rd birthday shopping for a refrigerator because the one at the property crapped out. I didn't mind - but if that happens to you - will you? Other considerations regarding rental properties are potential cash flow and location (which are definitely tied).

If you have any more specific questions along the way, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:40 PM

3 posts, read 6,476 times
I learned to Trade Forex. My last trade took 1800% profit in less then 24 hrs, $1M = $18M in less than 24 hrs. I have learned enough to outperform most money managers, if not all. I have learned to use strategy testing software and have created back tested funds which do 51% per yr, compared to the index of only 15%. If you are going to risk money, it would be wise to become a professional at analysis because you lower your risk with knowledge. The Forex is liquid. It is possible to make high returns. It is also possible, as with any investment, to lose your money. The best way to control risk is to learn, practice, and know what you are doing, like anything else you might do. If you would start up a business, you'd first learn about the business, and the same if you are going to invest. You learn how the market moves, how your target investment moves, and what makes the price move up and down, this way you know when to buy and when to sell. It is not enough to follow most courses, or news postings, you need to understand it yourself.
by Ken.

Last edited by 50topstocks; 04-29-2013 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-10-2014, 10:24 PM

3 posts, read 3,228 times
Forex is too much risky. Invest in private placement options if you want higher interest rates and low security risks. You won't believe but my last $10000 brought 35-45% for the month only! Anybody needing the broker feel free to write me at jackcouperwood_at_yahoo.com. They ask for recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing