Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 06:47 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,454,778 times

Advertisements

The day after election day, the winner will be known (I hope ). Will your investment strategy be any different that day depending on who wins?

Regardless of who wins I don't want to sit passively and not take advantage of whatever opportunities arise or conversely protect myself against the downside.
Where will your money go if Obama wins? What about if Romney wins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 07:35 PM

24,466 posts, read 27,351,233 times
I won't get out of the stock market regardless of who wins. I think that is a mistake many people make. I know a lot of people who took out there money or took out a portion of their money when Obama won, which proved to be a huge mistake for them. My strategy won't change either, but maybe I'll the specific stocks I choose might change a little. I'm not 100% sure though until that day comes. Personally, I would prefer Obama to win because the market already knows the Obama Administration.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:00 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,880,940 times
Hi kanhawk--

If Obama wins, I'd buy healthcare stocks. Because the Obama mandate has done, above all, guaranteed a captive market for the health insurance providers, the administrators, etc. (Even though it will cause a disaster downstream with doctors, etc.)

Also gold and silver indexes - or the actual, physical metal - will gain significantly. Because a second Obama term virtually guarantees that Ben Bernanke will be reappointed to the Fed for another fourteen years, beginning 2014. And Ben Bernanke has been the most dangerous, corrupt, power-centered, inflationary Fed chairman in history - and who is almost singlehandedly responsible for the market distortions we face today.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:13 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,454,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi kanhawk--
Also gold and silver indexes - or the actual, physical metal - will gain significantly.
That is one area I was thinking of myself. Not that I would go hog wild on precious metals, but I think I would increase my buying, at least modestly, of those commodities if Obama wins.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:49 AM

107,697 posts, read 110,569,916 times
not only would i never make investment decisions based on political parties but i cant think of one instance in 60 years i ever even altered a thing in my life based on what party was in office.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:11 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,913,184 times
If Barry wins I will invest in manufacturers of blue hats with red stars on them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4igBduo5gk

Old 09-26-2012, 10:56 AM

21,551 posts, read 20,226,104 times
Romney will probably be better for business since he is a businessman, but that is just a guess. I won't be changing my investment strategy much, as I am heavily invested in stocks.

If Obama wins, I expect the malaise to continue since he has been somewhat anti-businessman. I may buy more stocks if the market drops.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:31 PM

14,647 posts, read 20,996,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
The day after election day, the winner will be known (I hope ). Will your investment strategy be any different that day depending on who wins?

Regardless of who wins I don't want to sit passively and not take advantage of whatever opportunities arise or conversely protect myself against the downside.
Where will your money go if Obama wins? What about if Romney wins?
The election is over:
O'Bama 75.3%
Romney 24.7%
Intrade - Home

The stock market has had an annualized gain of 12% (per CNBC earlier today) since the low in 2010.
Earlier in the summer, the talk was that Romney was what Wall Street wanted.
It is very clear that the election is over, and the market needs to assume, 100% that O'bama is re-elected. And there are portions of the population who are pulling for O'Bama because they want Hillary Clinton in 2016. She would have a much harder time against an incumbent Romney.
A vote for O'Bama is a vote for Clinton, 2016-2024.

I'd be worried with a Romney victory.
I think the market likes Bernanke and Romney wants him out. He could be in charge of the Fed until 2024, with an O'bama win.

Stocks can correct at any time, and it does not have anything to do with who is president.
I believe Congress will get something done about the fiscal cliff.
It may be on Dec. 31st, but I think they get the tax cuts extended, and a plan in place to deal with the other issues.

Eurozone breakup won't be the end of the world. Just look at the post-default periods of other nations.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:31 PM

24,466 posts, read 27,351,233 times
The market loves stimulus and Fed action which generally goes against Republicans. My main worry with Romney and Republicans controlling the Senate and House (when it comes to the stock market) is the massive cuts in unemployment, welfare, medicare, and government jobs. Think about all that money that will no longer be pumped into the economy. We can debate whether it will be worth it long term, but definitely it will have a negative impact at least for a couple years. Businesses won't hire unless there is demand. My family has owned businesses my entire life and when our taxes were lowered under Bush, it didn't effect our hiring, it was just extra money for us. We expanded one of our businesses in the late 1990's and even though we were paying close to 50% in taxes when you count payroll, income etc it was worth investing in another building because we couldn't meet demand. I don't want this thread to go off topic so I'll bring it back home. Cutting the above will pump less money in our economy at least in the short term, which will have a negative effect on the market (in my opinion).

Old 09-28-2012, 08:04 AM

14,647 posts, read 20,996,014 times
Maria B. is going to waste her time later today to explain how the election will affect markets.
The election is over.
Not one single poll has Romney ahead in ANY state according to MSNBC last night.

O'Bama 79.5% to 21.1%.

Markets, and investors can assume 12 more years of Democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing