Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 11:05 PM

617 posts, read 1,202,727 times

Advertisements

I don't really trust investment vehicles such as gold and treasury bonds as much as I used to, so I'm looking for more creative investments/trades.

So here's my idea: Short VXX. The decay due to negative roll yield will work to a huge advantage over time. Take a look: VXX Stock Charts - (NAR) Barclays Bank PLC iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN Stock Charts

I don't want to short anything leveraged due to broker expenses, etc. And I obviously don't want to short VXX until the VIX index spikes again.

Has anybody tried something like this?

Also, I'm looking at hedging it with a dynamic volatility ETP such as XVZ. This is a hypothetical chart for it: http://sixfigureinvesting.com/wp-con.../XVZ-chart.jpg

And I just realized, VXX is an ETN so I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with a possible credit risk. So maybe VIXY is a better choice to short because it's an ETF. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Arushan; 03-18-2012 at 11:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 06:21 AM

14,477 posts, read 20,657,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arushan View Post
I don't really trust investment vehicles such as gold and treasury bonds as much as I used to, so I'm looking for more creative investments/trades.

So here's my idea: Short VXX. The decay due to negative roll yield will work to a huge advantage over time. Take a look: VXX Stock Charts - (NAR) Barclays Bank PLC iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN Stock Charts

I don't want to short anything leveraged due to broker expenses, etc. And I obviously don't want to short VXX until the VIX index spikes again.

Has anybody tried something like this?

Also, I'm looking at hedging it with a dynamic volatility ETP such as XVZ. This is a hypothetical chart for it: http://sixfigureinvesting.com/wp-con.../XVZ-chart.jpg

And I just realized, VXX is an ETN so I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with a possible credit risk. So maybe VIXY is a better choice to short because it's an ETF. What do you guys think?
I've been looking for a discussion on VIX and VXX and VIXY and UVXY.

Above you say: So here's my idea: Short VXX.
Above you say: I obviously don't want to short VXX.

Is one of those a typographical error, or both are correct.

I've been in the VIX and looking for alternatives.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:22 PM

617 posts, read 1,202,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I've been looking for a discussion on VIX and VXX and VIXY and UVXY.

Above you say: So here's my idea: Short VXX.
Above you say: I obviously don't want to short VXX.

Is one of those a typographical error, or both are correct.

I've been in the VIX and looking for alternatives.
Both are correct. I meant that once the VIX spikes again, I'll start shorting VXX/VIXY because it would be unwise now due to the VIX being below 15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing