Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 01:25 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,087,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius View Post
... buy a pretty rock or shares of great companies ...
This was a good post. I don't agree with it, but it was on-topic and well thought out.

Let's please keep the posts on-topic [Should I buy gold now?].

Unless one is quoting Buffet on gold, just don't post it here. I try not to listen to that attention hoar.
Posting a jillion lines of text from Jim Cramer is also really lame and a waste of bandwidth.
Start another thread if you need to spew the glories of diversification and dividends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 01:47 PM

998 posts, read 1,216,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
No one has been wiped out w/a long term diversified low cost portfolio of equities and bonds to their risk tolerance....

Unfortunately you like to highlight sensational very noisy doomsday stories that make no sense to the rational investor w/a long term view....

I suggest you follow a site like this where people can help you find your way....

Bogleheads Investing Advice and Info
Bond holders of of every company in the Dow Jones 80 years ago have also lost their ass. You blather the tired old BS about investing for the long long term, well it does not get any longer term than holding the Dow 30 stocks & bonds for 80 years only to lose every penny. Then you drag up dooms day. There is no one doomsday lol!. People who hold worthless stocks, bonds & fiat currency have already slowly doomed them selves over time & will continue to do so over time. Hard working people have no time for your silly little financial website.

Farm Land is not a bubble because there is no GSE backing loans for it, no subprime lending for it, & no tax break for mortgages on it. Farmers today are paying $12k - $15k cash per acre for farm land. The same is happening for Gold, Silver, Platinum, Palladium, Copper, Oil, Corn Soybeans, Wheat, Water, Sewer, Trash, Utilities, Etc. The true cost of living inflation rate is 8%, not the 2.2% nonsense the government spoon feeds you. US Debt is the bubble & that is what backs the US Dollar.

2011 Iowa Farmland Value Reaches Historic $6,708 Statewide Average

True inflation rates since the US Dollar went off the Gold Standard in 1971.
- Iowa Farm Land was $400 in 1971 & $6708 in 2011 = 7.3% annual inflation rate.
- Gold was $35 in 1971 & $1630 in 2011 = 10.1% annual inflation rate.
- Silver was $0.75 in 1971 & $34 in 2011 = 10% annual inflation rate.

Last edited by KrazeeKrewe; 08-01-2012 at 02:56 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 03:05 PM

106,759 posts, read 108,973,015 times
heres where your examples of the dow failing investors is more wishful thinking for promoting your example then reality.

you have to differentiate between market risk and individual company risk. when you buy an index that index is representitive of the market leaders and best of breed of their industries. when companies drop the ball and fail to be market leaders or even good companies they are eliminated from the index and new leaders found to represent them.

when you buy individual companies not only are you dealing with market risk but your locking into individual company risk as well.

any time you take on individual company risk you damn wll better know whats going on in those companies.

any moron that takes on individual company risk and tucks those stocks away without monitoring them deserves to lose every penny.

companies come and go and the bluest of blue chips have vanished over time. while stocks vanish the markets did just fabulous over that time frame.

if your going to buy and hold for decades and not pay attention then you buy the index and not individual issues which require constant attention.

locking into the issues that make up the dow is not the same as buying the index. if you buy and hold companies that are failing over time and follow them down to the grave then thats your bad.

why someone would ever think they could just hold on to a stock forever regardless of how its doing is just ignorance.

had you owned the dow index or s&p index those 80 years you would be filthy rich.

your trying to equate someone buying individual stocks and not paying attention at all to them with indexes of market leaders that is dynamic and ever changing.

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-01-2012 at 03:34 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 03:50 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,087,584 times
Guys:

Gold. Please, just gold.
............................... Should I buy gold? is the topic.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:14 PM

your right... i just get a little nuts when facts are massaged and really dont reflect how things would actually play out .

Old 08-01-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
your right... i just get a little nuts when facts are massaged and really dont reflect how things would actually play out .
Someone is always left holding the bag full of worthless stocks & bonds. Half a companies shareholders make money & the other half loses money. The company or government do not guarantee everyone the money they paid for the stock. The well connected pros with the inside information get out at the top & the working man who was out plumbing all week gets his quarterly statement saying sorry Charlie, you should have been paying attention.

I previously posted US Attorney Preet Bharara stating "we brought 71 cases and we have 65 convictions and 6 are pending. it's dishartening the level of insider trader that we have proven"

Old 08-01-2012, 05:00 PM

i dont want to go off topic but anyone stupid enough to buy individual stocks and have no clue what they are doing deserves to lose it. i have been doing nothing more than buying funds for more than 25 years and have a 1200% gain on crappy ole fidelity funds. enough said.

there are always winners and losers in every aspect of life.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Guys:

Gold. Please, just gold.
............................... Should I buy gold? is the topic.
Buy gold until the Fed actually raises interest rates above the inflation rate. QE3 is around the corner which means so is $2,000+ Gold prices.

This is the worst recovery in the history of the western world. It is far worse than Japan's "Lost Decade". We have already lost 1 decade & are going for a second one.

Here is what our non-recovery looks like in terms of jobs!

Last edited by KrazeeKrewe; 08-01-2012 at 06:05 PM..

Old 08-02-2012, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe View Post
Someone is always left holding the bag full of worthless stocks & bonds. Half a companies shareholders make money & the other half loses money. The company or government do not guarantee everyone the money they paid for the stock. The well connected pros with the inside information get out at the top & the working man who was out plumbing all week gets his quarterly statement saying sorry Charlie, you should have been paying attention.

I previously posted US Attorney Preet Bharara stating "we brought 71 cases and we have 65 convictions and 6 are pending. it's dishartening the level of insider trader that we have proven"
more ofton than not insider information means crap. in fact i think the entire insider information thing is a crime is stupid.

in every aspect of business some of us have better sources of information, better computor software, better knowledge, better employees etc . the thought that the markets should be any different then anything that goes on in the business world is rediculous.

im not talking about pump and dump which is criminal but think about this.

whether i know something is going on at my company and profit from it by buying sooner ,that stock is still going to go up regardless to where ever it goes and anyone who buys it would have bought it with or without me at that price .

no one was cheated or lost money because i had better information and bought sooner. that stock was still going to go up to that point any way.

more ofton than not inside information never comes to pass and even if you know something is going to happen you still dont know what the competitors have planned.

all in all this big to do about insider trading is a big nothing unless fraud is involved. it makes it look like the gov't is doing something for the little guy but the reality is its doing nothing. no one is at a disadvantage because someone had better sources of information and beat them to the punch.

the markets still will arrive at the same price for that issue with or without me.

you have to take a step back from all the bull the gov't hands us and really look to see whats going on and how it effects you. in the case of insider information it doesnt effect you at all even if your a buyer.

again im not talking about manipulating the stock, or pump and dump. thats not insider information ,thats crimininal fraud.

now back to our on topic arguments.

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-02-2012 at 03:00 AM..

Old 08-02-2012, 11:09 PM

Your investors are cheated when someone trades on insider information before it is made public! When you know there is a major problem & dump your stock before anyone else knows, you just screwed everyone else. Same when you know there is a breakthrough. People like you look at investors as suckers & not as partners who put up their hard earned money to create your job putting you in the position to have the info in the first place. When you go & stab those investors in the back who have been so generous & trusting to you then you do not deserve a job or any money you made while working at it. You should be held accountable for your criminal actions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing