Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 07:24 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,140,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by la60336 View Post
I am considering making a small initial investment of about 1k into a few stocks. I have an emergency fund set aside and if I don't do well, it won't "break the bank."

I am interested in making some investments in companies that have once experienced high stock prices, but are down now. Some of the companies that I am considering (for now) are C, MGM, and several companies in the solar industry.

Is it a good stategy to bet that companies that have done well (before this economy) will eventually recover as opposed to them going BK or something similar? What do you think about the stocks I have chosen? After watching Mad Money today, MIPS looks promising. Any advise is appreciated!
I know a little bit about Cramer. He is a crook. I'll get more on that later. I don't think he has a conscience at all.

I have a few stocks, myself. The two that look best are XMDC and HMIT (soon to be VMGI.) If you can hold a month or so, be prepared to sell some of those shares for a nice profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
It's quality, not the quantity. $1000 investment still a $1000 investment regardless how many share you have. If you believe that more share mean better, by all mean, get some penny, I meant selling for pennies, and you can have so many shares.
You can get some very impressive leverage with penny stocks. Also, I'd strongly suggest a board like Ihub. It can be a big help. Here is one I frequent.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:43 PM

24,410 posts, read 27,021,173 times
Quote:
I am considering making a small initial investment of about 1k into a few stocks. I have an emergency fund set aside and if I don't do well, it won't "break the bank."

I am interested in making some investments in companies that have once experienced high stock prices, but are down now. Some of the companies that I am considering (for now) are C, MGM, and several companies in the solar industry.

Is it a good stategy to bet that companies that have done well (before this economy) will eventually recover as opposed to them going BK or something similar? What do you think about the stocks I have chosen? After watching Mad Money today, MIPS looks promising. Any advise is appreciated!
It's not a good strategy in my opinion. Companies that once were sky high and now worth pennies are extremely risky especially if they have high volume along the downtrend. This means it had a huge sell off and the people who are left are the emotional public. The "strong" hands sold off along the way down. Look at GM, CIT etc right before they went bankrupt, huge volume. There is a strategy where you buy cheap stocks that were once high, but it's an entirely different thing that shouldn't be used by first timers. MGM isn't as risky as C or SIRI etc, but it's still risky. If you want to invest in Las Vegas and are willing to take the risk for possible large gains, MGM is probably your best bet. However, make sure you don't need that money. Also... If you only have $1000, don't buy numerous stocks. Buy one or two MAX! You have to pay commission when you buy and sell, so if you only buy $250, the stock has to go up quite a bit just to break even from commission.

I currently own FRM and HOOK.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:25 AM

102 posts, read 302,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
You can get some very impressive leverage with penny stocks. Also, I'd strongly suggest a board like Ihub. It can be a big help. Here is one I frequent.

I heard that it can be hard to sell penny stocks. How does that work with online brokers like Scottrade?

Old 11-07-2010, 06:03 PM

I made the mistake of using Wells Fargo for my online program. It was very well suited for blue chip stuff (even had a number of free trades), but not for pennies. I'm getting hit hard with fees, so I'm going to Ameritrade. But yeah, it's very easy, unless you chose a stock that has no bid, or has very little in the way of trade volume. BTW, I',m not a trader, I just choose my stocks and sit on them until they produce, though there are exceptions. For example, I may decide a particular stock looks weaker than I thought, I may sell the entire investment in that stock and buy in somewhere else. But that is pretty rare for me.

I usually recommend that people use a well-used board like IHub, which to me is a big help. There are a lot of experienced people in many stocks, though some have more than others. The farther a stock is under the radar, the less experience you'll see.

The only thing I had to get used to was the program. Not to mention little things like punching in 8000000 instead of 8,000,000, which can throw you a curve. And you may like to set up a sell ahead of time in case it hits a certain pps. I like to have a little money from my investment and hold the rest until it matures more. That can take months (if you are lucky) to a year, at least.

Sorry, I get carried away sometimes.

Oh yeah, I have had some experience with a brokerage. The brokerage management tended to have strong feelings about penny stocks and try to dissuade their brokers from buying for people like me. That's when I moved everything out and became my own, self-directed buyer-seller.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:27 PM

24,410 posts, read 27,021,173 times
Quote:
I heard that it can be hard to sell penny stocks. How does that work with online brokers like Scottrade?
If Scottrade is worried that a certain stock would be difficult to sell, they will require you to call your branch to make the transaction. It doesn't cost any extra, it just requires you to call them. The important thing to look for is the difference between the bid and ask price compared to the current stock price. Most people who buy penny stocks lose money though. Read Ted Warren if you want to make big bucks from cheap stocks.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:40 AM

106,837 posts, read 109,092,448 times
a small inititial investment into stocks isnt an investment.its a speculation.. basically your hoping you pick just the right company at just the right time in just the right sector in just the right market sentiment , assuming you guessed right on the above you now have to guess right about the competitors and what they are doing.

put it all in a diversified mutual fund and at least take the individual company risk out of the equation.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
If Scottrade is worried that a certain stock would be difficult to sell, they will require you to call your branch to make the transaction. It doesn't cost any extra, it just requires you to call them. The important thing to look for is the difference between the bid and ask price compared to the current stock price. Most people who buy penny stocks lose money though. Read Ted Warren if you want to make big bucks from cheap stocks.
I think it's very helpful to sell some stocks in a run. This way, you have free shares and it takes out the risk factor. If you believe in the company, stay with it. Once you've sold shares, you can buy back in at a lower price. I've agree that knowing more about charts is a big help. I've picked up some of it and am still learning, but I admit to being a bit lazy. On good stocks, there are usually people who know charts.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:03 AM

I said I'd mention Cramer and a few others. It's a well-written article, and it'll surely be in some textbooks, if it isn't already.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:24 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,940,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I made the mistake of using Wells Fargo for my online program. It was very well suited for blue chip stuff (even had a number of free trades), but not for pennies. I'm getting hit hard with fees, so I'm going to Ameritrade. But yeah, it's very easy, unless you chose a stock that has no bid, or has very little in the way of trade volume. BTW, I',m not a trader, I just choose my stocks and sit on them until they produce, though there are exceptions. For example, I may decide a particular stock looks weaker than I thought, I may sell the entire investment in that stock and buy in somewhere else. But that is pretty rare for me.

I usually recommend that people use a well-used board like IHub, which to me is a big help. There are a lot of experienced people in many stocks, though some have more than others. The farther a stock is under the radar, the less experience you'll see.

The only thing I had to get used to was the program. Not to mention little things like punching in 8000000 instead of 8,000,000, which can throw you a curve. And you may like to set up a sell ahead of time in case it hits a certain pps. I like to have a little money from my investment and hold the rest until it matures more. That can take months (if you are lucky) to a year, at least.

Sorry, I get carried away sometimes.

Oh yeah, I have had some experience with a brokerage. The brokerage management tended to have strong feelings about penny stocks and try to dissuade their brokers from buying for people like me. That's when I moved everything out and became my own, self-directed buyer-seller.
Just curious as I was considering WF for the free trades. What kind of fees do you get hit with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing