Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 03:25 PM

278 posts, read 550,258 times

Advertisements

My savings account is pays me 1.10 % interest.

I want to invest $10,000 and I was looknig at CDs with ING Direct.

Problem, 12 months pays you back 1%.

How is investing my money in a CD better than my regular savings account? Ive never invested before so maybe I am not understanding how CDs work.

Also, if anyone knows a good CD deal going on please post. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 03:29 PM

106,593 posts, read 108,757,383 times
a cd isnt an investment. its a savings vehicle. .its merely a holding place for cash that will either be needed short term, held as cash or money awaiting re-investment when you feel its time....

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-23-2010 at 03:51 PM..

Old 06-24-2010, 07:52 AM

762 posts, read 1,099,370 times
3 years ago I was making 12k/year in boring CDs—I call that investing! I am concerned about the future prospects of CDs however. If & when interest rates go up all the Banks have to do is add on a FDIC fee/surcharge (only opinion) which will further erode the benefits of CDs as a saving/investing vehicle.

You see, the Banks don’t want the People to have any liquid/semi-liquid money on hand—they want you to borrow!

Old 06-24-2010, 08:07 AM

Basically with cash instruments after taxes and inflation they really end up just being savings vehicles and if your lucky you may actually be positive.....

unfourtunetly the forbes 400 is still awaiting their first cd investor ha ha

true investments have the potential for future growth or loss....

when investors refer to investing they dont usually refer to cd's or bank accounts.....

they may very well be apart of an investment portfolio but by themselves are not referred to as investments....

if you want to call it that be my guest.....

Old 06-24-2010, 08:15 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOs View Post
3 years ago I was making 12k/year in boring CDs—I call that investing! I am concerned about the future prospects of CDs however. If & when interest rates go up all the Banks have to do is add on a FDIC fee/surcharge (only opinion) which will further erode the benefits of CDs as a saving/investing vehicle.

You see, the Banks don’t want the People to have any liquid/semi-liquid money on hand—they want you to borrow!
I think you're right, it could be considered investing but that's tomato/tomaato. As mathjak alluded to it's just a different investment goal, more capital preservation than growth, as it's very difficult to build any significant wealth using CDs. Even a ladder of longer term jumbos should over time make less than a growth oriented asset allocation of stocks and bonds.

With interest rates the concern isn't an FDIC charge, it's inflation erosion. With inflation at 2% a 5% CD is a solid deal, if inflation rises to 6% and you're stuck in that CD for three more years it's not looking so good.

Good luck everyone.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:44 PM

762 posts, read 1,099,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
unfourtunetly the forbes 400 is still awaiting their first cd investor ha ha.
I’m talking about the rest of us (85%) but that was a Good one!

Slackjaw, that’s my point; if CD interest rates were accurate/correct than CDs would be a decent, respectable investment. During the 2000s’ my CD investment would be almost 2x what I got if the rates reflected the Economy. As for taxes, since I’m frugal & don’t spend/contribute that much I have no problem paying my fair share of taxes to the US Taxpayer.

This is the way I see it: A person borrows/takes money from the US taxpayer; potentially makes money on it, & then 20-40 years later gives back the depreciated value to their children & grandchildren! The Banksters taught us well.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:49 PM

Cd rates dont really reflect the economy..they only have to be competitive with the fed discount rate or the fed funds rate ...borrowing from the fed for a bank is like us going back to our parents for money. Its a sign of failure... Banks prefer to borrow from each other or us unless no other banks will loan them.

if i remember correctly the rate the banks borrow from the fed is the discount rate, the rate banks borrow from each other is the fed funds rate.

So the summary is cd rates only have to be competitive with the banks option of borrowing from papa fed or each other .

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-25-2010 at 01:48 PM..

Old 06-25-2010, 02:19 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,196,325 times
CDs have been a terrible option for a number of years. As you've figured out, they barely compete with savings accounts on the market, and thats in exchange for locking your money up for months on end. You would probably be better off picking up higher rated couponed municipal bonds (atleast Ba/BB) and holding them until you want to convert to cash.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:32 PM

just hope they dont have a credit down grade or a rate rise if your getting out before maturity .. you wont get it all back...

most dealers have a 25,000 min on munis also so you may have to look around for one that will trade less..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing