Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 01:32 PM

299 posts, read 903,392 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I've got a question about some issues I'm having with different Web browsers.

I built a Web page on a computer that runs a Windows Vista operating system. When I view the page in Google Chrome or in Firefox on that computer, it looks exactly how I want it to.

I have another PC in my house that runs Windows XP, and when I open the page in Google Chrome on that computer, the page is very distorted (margins and padding are way off, images are missing, links don't work, etc.). When I open it in Internet Explorer, however, everything looks the way I want it to and is perfectly functional.

Could it be that I just have a bad version of Google Chrome installed on my computer, is it the operating system, or is it something else?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 08:30 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
That's an odd one.
Can I ask what program you are creating the webpage with?
I assume it also looks fine in IE on the Vista PC?
I also assume the web page is not hosted somewhere? Are you copying it between the two computers? Or is it in a file share and you are accessing it from the other PC? or...

Old 06-03-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
That's an odd one.
Can I ask what program you are creating the webpage with?
I assume it also looks fine in IE on the Vista PC?
I also assume the web page is not hosted somewhere? Are you copying it between the two computers? Or is it in a file share and you are accessing it from the other PC? or...
Right now, I'm just using notepad to create the html document.

The page is hosted through godaddy.com, and after I upload it, it looks exactly how it should on the Vista PC. When I go to the XP PC and type the URL into Google Chrome, however, it comes up looking distorted.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:05 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
http://www.w3schools.com/xhtml/xhtml_validate.asp (broken link)

Can you validate the code here? Any errors?
This is always the first thing I try. Helped me many times.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:33 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Do a ctrl - f5 on both to make sure the page has been properly refreshed.

----------

Is both installations of Chrome the same version?

Is the resolution the same on both monitors?

This tool might be helpful: Check Browser Compatibility, Cross Platform Browser Test - Browsershots

Old 06-04-2010, 09:56 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Do you mind sharing the website?

Old 06-04-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Do you mind sharing the website?
Sure. Its Pueblo Football Officials Association

Old 06-04-2010, 01:38 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Is both installations of Chrome the same version?
This is a big one. The original versions of Chrome were a big buggy and the more recent ones have fixed some of those bugs.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:58 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post
I saw two images plus the background images, and when you scroll over links, the text size gets ~30% bigger - I assume you want that?

For broken links, you could try using the full URL for a page instead of just "contact.html". Sometimes browsers don't handle site links well, although everything worked on my computer.

Also, in the style sheet, you list non-stanard fonts as your primaries - any computer without that font installed will use whatever's down the list or the standard default. Instead of tahoma and calibri, I'd just stick with sans-serif, and see if that helps any.

Also, when you use settings like "auto" instead of absolute numbers, you leave things open to the interpretation of the browser. You could try specific numbers.

One last thing - depending on the computer the default screen resolution could be 72 or 96 dpi, so that could effect what you see - might want to check the screen resolutions across computers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet