Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 06:22 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,486 times

Advertisements

What is the best email service that offers free POP access?

I currently have a .mac address but since I have replaced idisk with dropbox it means I am paying $99 per year for an email address.

Yahoo's POP option costs.

I tried Gmail's POP, which is free. But two of the first three emails I sent were marked as Spam by the recipient's email server.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 05:36 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Does your ISP not provide email as well?

Old 02-01-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Does your ISP not provide email as well?
Yes, but I was hoping to keep my email independent from my ISP in case I switch in the future.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:55 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,205 times
Keep the gMail, use that email address, give it out freely to all from whom you'd like to receive email. You can even set up filters for spammers.

In that gMail use a POP forwarding to forward all those emails to your ISP email account where you'll receive, read and respond to your friends. You'll also store your email on your personal PC email client, such as Thunderbird. In your email client you will setup the FROM with your name or other identification so your friends will know it's you. You will use your ISP SMTP server to send emails, no spam.

Should you change ISP's you'll only need to change the forwarding address in gMail to the new ISP email address. And of course the SMTP server in your email client. And, this would be the only time you'd need to login to gmail, to change the forwarding address and maybe to revise filters.

I've acquired dozens of email addresses over the years and have all of them forwarded to a POBOX email address, which I pay for. I download all my email from that address. Some of the old accounts I wouldn't even know where or how to log into them but I continue to receive those emails.

It occurs to me to add... at work you can set up your work email to forward a copy to gmail or your ISP email. Then, if you leave that job you'll still get emails from those clients looking for you to do something for them. At least until IT cancels your work email...

Last edited by WillysB; 02-01-2010 at 08:36 PM..

Old 02-01-2010, 10:20 PM

Thanks Willys!

There is only one glitch with that solution. When I am on the road or away from the service from my ISP with my laptop then I would have a problem sending, right?

But for my desktop computer at work that would work great.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:57 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
Thanks Willys!

There is only one glitch with that solution. When I am on the road or away from the service from my ISP with my laptop then I would have a problem sending, right?

But for my desktop computer at work that would work great.
Mostly no. My scenario involved only one access device, either your desktop or your laptop. Typically when one uses an email client (Outlook, Thunderbird, Eudora, whatever) they download their email to that computer. Some leave a copy on the server, but you could do that from the gmail account. The goal here being to leave no trace behind, should you make that switch of ISP. Leaving a copy on gmail could be your document history. But that was really the intent of downloading email to the desktop. I was thinking home computer, but...

As far as sending email while traveling, you shouldn't have a problem as long as you have that broadband connection... a friend's connection, a hotel wireless, etc. Your email client is talking to the SMTP server not to your broadband connection at home/work/elsewhere. Your email client is using your ISP's SMTP (outgoing mail) server. You can do that from any location on the planet... sometimes China excluded - see google.

Last edited by WillysB; 02-02-2010 at 11:07 AM..

Old 02-03-2010, 09:49 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
It occurs to me to add... at work you can set up your work email to forward a copy to gmail or your ISP email. Then, if you leave that job you'll still get emails from those clients looking for you to do something for them. At least until IT cancels your work email...
I'd recommend you read your employer's IT Security / HR policy before doing this. Or you may find your self at a new job sooner than you'd like/expect.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet