Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 11:33 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,957,718 times

Advertisements

Okay, I am technologically challenged. How do you get internet access without a phone line. I have 2 friends who have moved away and only have cell phones and neither knows how to connect to the internet from home. Neither place is WIFI accessible.

Help??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 11:39 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Cable, "naked" dsl (inet over phone a line without a telephone account), wireless (not a lot of wireless ISPs around, though, and the ones that are aren't cheap).. and of course dialup

Old 10-09-2008, 05:06 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,149,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
Okay, I am technologically challenged. How do you get internet access without a phone line. I have 2 friends who have moved away and only have cell phones and neither knows how to connect to the internet from home. Neither place is WIFI accessible.

Help??
Simple. They either have to get landline accounts so they can use dial-up or DSL, or subscribe to broadband via a cable or satellite company. I've never actually heard of DSL availability without having a landline account, but Swagger probably knows more than me. Maybe it's just not available in my area.

They could try going to a local library when they need to access the internet, but there are time limitations in doing that, and it can be inconvenient.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:44 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,008,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Simple. They either have to get landline accounts so they can use dial-up or DSL, or subscribe to broadband via a cable or satellite company. I've never actually heard of DSL availability without having a landline account, but Swagger probably knows more than me. Maybe it's just not available in my area.

They could try going to a local library when they need to access the internet, but there are time limitations in doing that, and it can be inconvenient.
X2 on that in my area, you cannot get DSL service without also having a phone account with the provider.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:55 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Don't be too sure about the availability of naked dsl - the phone companies don't advertise it. They want to sell you dsl along with telephone service, of course.

If you're interested in it, call up your local telco's Internet department and ask them about "dry loop" dsl service.

I had naked dsl in southern California through Verizon. I dropped my regular phone service and switched to dsl only in about 2004 or 2005, and kept it until I moved at the end of 2006.

Also, to the OP - most of the cellular companies have data plans with PC cards or USB devices. They're not cheap and not remarkably fast, but they work. If it's an extremely rural area or something, it might be possible alternative.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:32 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,149,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Don't be too sure about the availability of naked dsl - the phone companies don't advertise it. They want to sell you dsl along with telephone service, of course.
Well, duh - of course they do. *slapping myself in the forehead* I didn't think about that. See, I knew you were a smart person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
If you're interested in it, call up your local telco's Internet department and ask them about "dry loop" dsl service.
Oh, that's ok. I'm pretty squared away with my service. I'd just never heard of something like that before. Sneaky little boogers for hiding it from us, huh?

Old 10-11-2008, 07:52 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,136,039 times
There are a lot of places where you can take a laptop, though I'm not all that inclined to do so until they have a longer lasting battery. United Markets, Hastings, Schlotzsky's, are a few. I've seen some rest areas on the side of the highway with Internet access.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:18 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,557,816 times
Sometimes people "piggyback" on neighbors' wireless, but most folks nowadays are savvy enough to lock others out of their home netowrk.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:22 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,994,734 times
If they're willing to pay for unlimited data service on their phones you can set up newer, more high end, phones to act as a modem. It is pretty handy if you are out in the boonies and its typically faster than dial-up.

I guess the phone doesn't have to be -real- high end, but it needs bluetooth, and the unlimited data was just a suggestion. If they plan on using their cellphone for internet usage their bill will get big very quick.

You can get satellite internet service too, but it stinks. Cellphone is my choice.

Last edited by J Arp; 10-13-2008 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: funghrmffj clarification.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:10 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,136,039 times
From what I've heard about satellite Internet, the ads on TV are very misleading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet