Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 02:22 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,512,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSer View Post
how do u know your being poached? i am gonna check my connection if it is.
If you log into your router, there is a list of connected devices usually on the administration tab that will show you how many devices are connected, their MAC addresses, IP Addresses, and their names.

You can also kick people off too.

The best thing to do is just secure your network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 03:43 PM

389 posts, read 1,988,762 times
how do you log into your router? is that where you type your ip address in, like http://www.<ip address> ?

Old 06-29-2008, 04:37 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,591,703 times
Quote:
And how do they prove beyond reasonable doubt that you were the one doing illegal things?
They had a story on the news on this very topic one night. There are people that drive around, looking for unsecured routers to download illegal stuff through your router. Your router is hooked to your internet and YOU are responsiable for what goes through YOUR internet connection, no matter who is doing it. If you have a router, it is YOUR responsiability to make sure it is secure and you are held responsiable for what is uploaded or downloaded through it.

I had a unsecured one until I saw that on TV, by the next day, mine was secure!

Old 06-29-2008, 05:32 PM

6,598 posts, read 11,335,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSer View Post
how do you log into your router? is that where you type your ip address in, like http://www.<ip address> ?
The manual that comes with it should tell you. And if you haven't read it, you probably should. All of these routers come with an administrative interface... and guess what, they all have a default password. So if you haven't gone in there and changed it, someone else may have. Not a permanent issue, but a PITA nonetheless.

The manual should also explain how to setup MAC filtering, encryption settings (and yes, WPA2 is recommended), and how to turn off the SSID. Are these things critical? Probably not unless you are working with confidential information... but given how easy all this is to setup, it doesn't hurt either.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:36 PM

389 posts, read 1,988,762 times
i dont have the manual with me can you just tell me? i think the one i mentioned above is acces to my ISP connection. i also see MAC settings there.. i only see my computers connected there.. but it was a long time ago when i last check it.

i just googled how to log in your router. and it seems i am right... i am gonna check again see if i have poachers.

i just logged in. i totally forgot the login entry but it is good that i found the manual. ok i click the dhcp clients tab(is that where you will see if you have poachers?) i only see one computer/ip address listed. so i guess im good.

ok... i type ipconfig.. my wireless pc have diff default getway address on the PC connected to the router... and they have diff login entries too. anyway i just logged in my wireless PC.. this time i check the wireless filter tab and again saw 1 PC connected. so no poachers for me.. weeeeeeeeeeee

okay.. i tried to change to WAP security and i can not log in and disconnected my wireless connection... so i went and edit my goof off in the wired PC...

all in all.. im happy ive no poachers but then again.. i live in an almost senior housing community.. so..

Last edited by LBSer; 06-29-2008 at 06:59 PM..

Old 06-29-2008, 06:16 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,802,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
WEP will keep the casual poacher off but it won't stop anyone who knows enough to grab a free cracking tool off the Internet. Use WPA-PSA (also called WPA Personal) instead. Use a random password of at least 20 characters. Something like WdGG40fv&peG. Do NOT use anything you'd find in the dictionary.
Probably more common than the average Joe realizes:

Wardriving - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-30-2008, 01:26 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,512,500 times
LBSer,

What brand and model of wireless router do you have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet