Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 10:16 PM

4 posts, read 4,755 times

Advertisements

As painful as it is to change email addresses, I've finally had it with Yahoo Mail. Their Spam filter is out of control. Literally - I can't control it.

Half of my mail every day goes to my Inbox and half to my Spam folder. Even mail from the SAME SENDER. Messages from businesses I have accounts with go to Spam. Things I have subscribed to. Just now, my new password from this site; the password change confirmation went to my Inbox and the new password two minutes later went to Spam. Messages from YAHOO GROUPS THAT I BELONG TO - are they that confused that they won't even send me messages from their OWN GROUPS?

When I complain, their solution is that I should mark each message as "Not Spam" and the system will learn what I want to receive. Obviously, this is no solution - it's more work than just deleting the junk myself, and besides that, it doesn't even work. I keep marking things and it makes no difference. But even if it did work, why on earth would I want to have to teach it what I want to receive before it lets me have it?

I've set up filters to send everything to my Inbox, but they don't work.

Is it me, or is this insane?

Anyway, now that I've vented - does anyone have an email service that gives them more control over this? I'd rather have no filter at all than have an overzealous one.

Interested in hearing the pros and cons of what email services other people are using. I'm even willing to pay for something that works well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 01:27 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,864,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisesf View Post
Is it me, or is this insane?
I would not say *just you*, but surely not insane !

Not known about *everybody else* who uses Yahoo mail, I can say that my yahoo mail is doing exactly what I like it to do.

First of all I have 2 e-mail addresses.
One for my regular mail, and is known by those only who or which mail me regularly.
The next one is my junk mail address, which is used when I need to sign up for something.

I never get *spam* on my *private address*
I get umpteen messages a day on my junk mail address.
Most of them go directly to the spam folder (after I classify them as *spam*) !
The rest I read (often interesting enough for me to read).
Once and a while I classify one of those as spam, and then from then on, it goes directly to the spam folder.

I never read any spam mail. I only click on the trash can for those and they *disappear* immediately.
One really does not have to *do* anything, since I think, that after so many days, those spam mails are automatically deleted from my account.
However, I just click on *the trashcan* and *agree*, each morning.

About *filters*.
I have no *filters* set up at all.
I wonder if your *filters* are a bit out of whack ?

Old 08-25-2014, 06:27 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,129,287 times
Gmail. Their spam blocking is fantastic. Very few make it through. When they do, it's usually three or four that are very similar or identical, received over a day or two or three. Then they stop. That happens at most once or twice a week, and on average maybe about half that.

As far as I know, it doesn't eat anything legitimate - I've never had a customer, friend or relative tell me they emailed me something that I didn't get. I have a regular gmail account that I use mostly for stuff related to my phone, and I host the email for my personal domain as well as my business domain with them.

I've been running my own mail servers for over 15 years, and I know what's out there as far as spam blocking technologies go, and I've never seen anything that does anywhere near the job that google does. It's very impressive. Their spam handling is why they're hosting my personal email. I have the business email with them primarily for availability.

This is based on my experiences only, of course.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:38 PM

8 posts, read 6,914 times
GMail gets my vote. I rarely have something sent to my spam folder that shouldn't be. Just to make sure, I check my spam folder every week or so. If something legitimate lands there, you just hit the "not spam" button so it doesn't happen again for that sender.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:24 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,010,651 times
x3 on Gmail, probably has the best spam filtering of the freebie webmail providers.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:45 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,086,875 times
I have yahoo and outlook. Spam on yahoo all the time. On outlook, never. Plus, you can have outlook open in windows live mail and not have to ever go to the outlook site.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:30 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,854,204 times
They continue to mess with Yahoo mail...some days it just doesn't work...other days it works differently. It is like in constant development mode.

Gmail does a better spam filtering for me just because I don't SEE as much, but that may be because my Yahoo accounts are older and used more for signups.

BUT...Gmail still doesn't allow sorting by sender, subject, etc (in spam OR regular mail) which Yahoo does...sorting makes quickly scanning the mail/spam MUCH easier. Even if you set up a folder/filter in Gmail, once those items are designated as spam, you can't select them all by clicking on the folder name, even though it retains it. If someone knows how to get around this, I'd like to know.

Gmail still thinks search = sort ... NOT!!!

I continue to struggle with both...oh well.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:10 AM

2,161 posts, read 3,599,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Gmail. Their spam blocking is fantastic. Very few make it through. When they do, it's usually three or four that are very similar or identical, received over a day or two or three. Then they stop. That happens at most once or twice a week, and on average maybe about half that.

As far as I know, it doesn't eat anything legitimate - I've never had a customer, friend or relative tell me they emailed me something that I didn't get. I have a regular gmail account that I use mostly for stuff related to my phone, and I host the email for my personal domain as well as my business domain with them.

I've been running my own mail servers for over 15 years, and I know what's out there as far as spam blocking technologies go, and I've never seen anything that does anywhere near the job that google does. It's very impressive. Their spam handling is why they're hosting my personal email. I have the business email with them primarily for availability.

This is based on my experiences only, of course.
I have a business with its own domain so I want to keep that for my e-mail address. Spamihilator does a good job of sorting out the tons of spam I receive because I don't want to be unfriendly to my public by using "captchas." But, I still have to scan through the "training area" to make sure a wanted message does not get trashed. It would be great if there was a way where the large bulk of 100% identifiable spam was never downloaded or automatically deleted so I would not have to scan through it. Setting up individual filters would be incredibly tedious. My e-mail client is Thunderbird.

Suggestions welcome.

Don in Austin

Last edited by Don in Austin; 09-19-2014 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-19-2014, 10:38 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,668,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
I have a business with its own domain so I want to keep that for my e-mail address. Spamihilator does a good job of sorting out the tons of spam I receive because I don't want to be unfriendly to my public by using "captchas." But, I still have to scan through the "training area" to make sure a wanted message does not get trashed. It would be great if there was a way where the large bulk of 100% identifiable spam was never downloaded or automatically deleted so I would not have to scan through it. Setting up individual filters would be incredibly tedious. My e-mail client is Thunderbird.

Suggestions welcome.

Don in Austin

Have your hosting provider enable RBL and other features that can be used to block known spammers before they ever get to you. A couple of RBLs can keep the vast majority of it out, adding other options like helo checks, reverse lookup, dkim, spf, etc can limit a lot more.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:12 AM

5,466 posts, read 8,190,626 times
I have been using usermail for many years and am very happy: https://www.prxy.com/hosting.php?spt=9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet