Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 06:39 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,082,275 times

Advertisements

So here is the situation. Several of us, and I cannot say who or how many, have been trying to find an individual who "disappeared" for all intents and purposes in 1977. We have reason to believe that the individual is alive and hiding somewhere, but any googling of his name returns very few references (mostly online obituary references) He is not identified on intellus, linkedin, facebook, people finder comes up blank. Looking at his family embers, we have found some questionable hits, but one thing is missing from all of those results: his name as a possible relative. We have traced a number of aliases used by his son, but so far, would have no way of knowing what aliases he uses.

It is like he went and erased all mention of himself from anything on the internet.

Keeping a low profile is one thing, but how about no profile?

IS it possible to erase oneself from all references on the internet, have one's name removed from any and all "people finders" ?
Keep in mind, this individual is considered shady at best and dangerous at worst. He is of the criminal type, and that is about all I can say.

Years ago, before the internet, we tried a paid detective, (private investigator) he told us "I cannot find anything on this guy"
Good job of hiding, could be dead and have no death certificate for all we know, but the last time he was reported seen was at a funeral service for someone in 2002. No mention of him ANYWHERE after that.....

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 12:41 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,460,879 times
All of these "people finder" sites collect (or "mine") data from other electronic databases, such as newspapers, courthouse records, professional licensure databases, and other government records. The best way for someone to keep his/her name out of internet sites, such as "people finder" sites, is to make sure their name never gets into any of these databases.

My first guess is that the guy you are looking for changed his/her name many years ago, or is using an alias. If you are searching for a name he has not used in years, that name is not going to find its way into any of the databases you mentioned.

If I private investigator could not find this guy, I doubt anyone could do so via. internet search engines that are available to the general public.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:00 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,928,486 times
I got nuthin' but find it interesting that it's possible to become so 'invisible'. Don't tell the NSA!

Old 10-28-2013, 08:26 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,082,275 times
A PI could not find the guy, but several people claim that they have seen or heard from him. However, no one will speak up as to where he was. His last public appearance, according to internet news searches, was 1998. There are no newspaper articles mentioning him since. There are no online obituaries with his name. Like I mentioned, we found one listing of someone we are certain is his son, and the alias/other names of his son is long, and unbelievable. (9 different names, two we traced ended in dead ends but claimed PH.Ds one in agriculture, one in economics) The son was borderline retarded, so I doubt he even has a high school diploma, and it is feasible that he would live as an adult with his parents. (If not in prison)

BUT Missing is his father as a possible relative.......
This guy, I can assure you all, does not want to be found.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:01 AM

8,306 posts, read 13,439,396 times
If he is using his/her real name and living in a normal social manner, then I would say damn near impossible!

The info leaks out sooner or later. From utility companies to companies that hires the person to rental/escrow data....it comes out. At least a PI who knows what s/he is doing would be able to find something.

My guess, s/he is using a completely different identity. It makes more sense to become someone else than to completely disappear. You cannot be totally invisible, illusion is the logical next best thing. Has the PI used a photo to find out about this person or just a name, address, etc.? How did he get to the funeral, driving a car of by taking the public transport? If he is driving that means he has an ID/license and registered vehicle in the system, as I suggested, quite possible under a fake name alias. It really isn't hard to come up with fake IDs and get in the system. Even easier to take over a deceased person identity especially if the age matches. If he is alive, then he must have a job, if he is self-employed then he's likely to have either in-person or Internet exposure.

I am not expert or anything, just rolling out some ideas.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:14 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
This guy, I can assure you all, does not want to be found.
And here you are trying to find him...

Old 11-11-2013, 05:04 AM

544 posts, read 610,239 times
Are you talking about Barry Soetero? He's known as Barack Obama now. His address is somewhere in DC I think..

Old 11-11-2013, 05:09 AM

61,660 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Maybe he entered the witness protection program?

Old 11-11-2013, 05:13 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
If the guy has dropped off the grid, no bank account, pays everything in cash, no property in his name, no court involvement, etc., it's very possible he's non-traceable. Especially since he "disappeared" in 1977.

Even obituaries wouldn't necessarily be available, he could've died and the family not had any printed. I imagine you could look in a data-base of Death Certificates, but he if he moved to another, unknown, state that wouldn't help much either.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:43 AM

61,660 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Several of us, and I cannot say who or how many, have been trying to find an individual who "disappeared" for all intents and purposes in 1977. We have reason to believe that the individual is alive and hiding somewhere,
Any ideas?
If he is "hiding somewhere" then he did a really good job, surely it was not easy. Maybe he is living now in another country? Obviously he does not want to be found by friends and relatives. So, why not leave this person in peace?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet