Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2012, 09:56 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that more and more sites have videos that start playing automatically. I'd like to stop this and have the option whether or not to play the video. Is there any way to do this on my PC (XP sp3)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 10:58 PM

689 posts, read 2,160,160 times
Some of those sites (like ESPN), if you go to them often enough, you can enroll as a "member" of the site with a password, and then go to the member controls and choose to block them. Log in and tell the site to keep you logged in, and you'll be good until your clear your cache.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:07 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
I have noticed that YouTube does that now if you're sent there by a link for a specific video and that didn't happened to me before. Otherwise, I've only had that occur with video advertisements that open sometimes on web pages without any prompt. I got rid of them altogether by using a secure search engine (e.g. Ixquick or DuckDuckGo) that doesn't track, to which I've added AdBlock Plus and HTTPS Everywhere, which are available for free for Firefox. I don't get any more of those annoying third-party ads that try to sell me something I looked at last week on some retail site or worse yet try to sell me something related to an informational search I did on Google. I don't use Google or Bing at all anymore and I don't miss them. Maybe my searches are pretty mundane, but I've found everything I needed since I went cold-turkey from Google.

But are you talking about going, for instance, to Comedy Central and instead of being allowed to click on a Colbert video, it starts playing automatically the minute you get on the site? I still have to click the arrow and download their video. Maybe you have the latest incarnation of Flash Player. I know I don't.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:51 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
The "autoplay" is an attribute in the HTML code, I don't see any user controls in flash to turn this off and doing a little research the only way I've come across to do it is third part extension that will block it from loading in the first place.

Going to depend on what browser you're using......

Old 06-17-2012, 01:13 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl
I have noticed that YouTube does that now if you're sent there by a link for a specific video and that didn't happened to me before.
Yes i have noticed this for awhile now..... When threads have embedded youtube clips in them,im scrolling thru the thread AND THE STUPID VIDEO STARTS BEFORE I EVEN GET TO IT!!!!!

Im glad i can DISABLE FLASH on my browser i will tell you that!!! -- If i click on a thread I know has alot of youtube embeds,I DISABLE FLASH BEFORE DOING SO!! (Or it bogs my browser down like crazy most of the time!)

Old 06-17-2012, 07:06 AM

689 posts, read 2,160,160 times
I have not noticed the problem on embedded YouTubes, but whenever I want to play one, I don't play the embed link. Instead, I click on the text line of the URL under the bottom of the graphic display, and play it direct from the YouTube. That also opens Youtube into my account, and I can save it to my playlist if I want to.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes i have noticed this for awhile now..... When threads have embedded youtube clips in them,im scrolling thru the thread AND THE STUPID VIDEO STARTS BEFORE I EVEN GET TO IT!!!!!
Autuplay is not used on this forum, perhaps a different one? That code is completely up to the site owner that embedding the video.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:34 AM

I'm using Chrome and I use the incognito window along with the extension: do not track. Neither of these makes any difference re: the autoplay videos, which are mostly ads on various sites (Yahoo, nyTimes, marketwatch, etc). Also, I'm finding that the news sites have videos that autoplay as soon as you click on the link to the article. I just want to read the article, and NOT play the video, but there isn't any choice! Ads of course run prior to the video, so that's the point. Even if I open a new tab, the video keeps running! Anyway, I'd love to figure out a way to stop these autoplay videos using chrome. If I turn off flash entirely, many websites won't work properly, I think.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Also, I'm finding that the news sites have videos that autoplay as soon as you click on the link to the article.
I have a mute button on my keyboard so it really doesn't bother me.

How to disable auto-play on Flash content in Chrome | How To - CNET

Old 06-17-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I have a mute button on my keyboard so it really doesn't bother me.

How to disable auto-play on Flash content in Chrome | How To - CNET
Thank you, coalman. I have just downloaded this extension and hopefully it will work! Thanks again!

Edited: Just tried it and it works great!! Thanks!

Last edited by xz2y; 06-17-2012 at 09:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet