Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2011, 10:51 AM

500 posts, read 1,173,907 times

Advertisements

I'm more than highly irritated at Craigslist and the idiots that ruin it for everyone.

I tried to post an ad on craigslist last night for the new city I'm thinking of moving to, to try to make friends before I get there.

Because CL saw by my IP address that I was not in the state I was posting in, my ad "ghosted" (they sent me a link to see it, but it never actually posted on the site for anyone else to see).

I know this for a fact because I tried several email addresses/phone numbers/words in ads, from 2 different computers, and none of them posted. I've posted things in my local area before without any issues, and even posted an ad in my local area to test it out right after the ghosting, and it worked just fine. The only common denominator for the issue is an IP address that isn't in the geographical area I was trying to post in.

It's not like I'm trying to run a marketing scam and post a hundred ads; I just want ONE, and it's not trying to sell anything!

I honestly see no possible way to get around this stupid rule. I've googled until I'm blue in the face. And of course, there's no one at CL that you can actually talk to. Any emailed questions you have, they just send you an automated link to their TOS. NOT HELPFUL, as I had to just do my own guesswork on trying to figure out the problem, and there's no solution.

IRRITATING.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 11:33 AM

7,517 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Instead of CL, have you tried the City-Data forum for the state/city of interest ??
at https://www.city-data.com/forum/#u-s-forums
Lots of posts by people looking for info etc on an area they are moving to.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:38 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
If you're not a frequent poster on Craigslist, the algorithm there probably doesn't trust you enough yet to let you post on a category for a faraway place. You might try posting a few times in categories for your local area to gain the algorithm's trust before posting again in the category for the non-local place.

Even if you could reach their support people, I doubt they would be very forthcoming about countermeasures to their anti-spam provisions.

It's also possible that the IP address your ISP assigned to you was once assigned to someone local to you who did bad things on Craigslist and it may have been blacklisted. I doubt they would tell you that, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet