Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2010, 10:59 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,280,890 times

Advertisements

Late last night, in the wee hours of the morning, I was searching for ingredients to buy online for a recipe. Things I cannot find locally, like Coconut powder from Thailand.

All of a sudden, this weird program pops up on my computer, a fake diagnostic testing thing. "HDD Diagnostics". Then with it, I got a fake warning that said my private data was at stake, my computer is shutting down,etc. Then I couldn't go to any web page, Firefox would no longer work, my nice desktop picture went black, and I really couldn't do anything except fight with that fake program. I gave up after 2 hours and left a message for my husband to fix it in the morning.
We both tried to get it going today, my computer is getting constant popups, and other programs won't work now. Finally got Firefox to work at last just now.

How do I find and delete every last trace of this thing without having to reinstall windows? What is the best and not very expensive program to use?
I used adaware and it did nothing, after taking weeks to load. (it felt like weeks anyway)
Spybot found some things and quarantined them, but still problems.
I just want my computer back to the way it was before all this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 12:52 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,121,615 times
You need to do a System Restore, back to a couple of days ago.
Go to: Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:50 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,990,455 times
There is no best program, some find stuff that others don't. Start with Superantispyware portable (requires no installation), then run malwarebytes, and post back with the results.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:40 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,956,213 times
Iv'e found that Malwarebytes finds stuff that others leave behind. I also run SuperAntSpyware and Avira. Avria as "always on" and Malwarebyes, SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot adhoc as needed.

Also get CCCleaner to see what is installed and more importantly what will run at StartUp. If you don't recognize something in the Yes list then Google it for more info & for removal instructions if nasty.

All the above are free.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:59 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Comodo is the new darling of the Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware market.

Antivirus Firewall Software and SSL Certificate - Internet Security Software from Comodo

Friend just used it to clean up the same problem you are having.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet