Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2010, 04:36 AM

239 posts, read 895,987 times

Advertisements

A few days ago my husband sent me a few emails and they still have not arrived! One email he sent me three days ago just arrived in my mailbox this moring! I always thought emails were suppose to come within a few seconds after pushing the send button.

We checked and the emails that have not arrived were sent using the right address and yahoo mail indicates they were sent. They did not go into my spam box. His name and email account is in my address book.

Do you ever send emails that never arrive at your friend's email mail box or arrive days later? Why does this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 04:52 AM

13,667 posts, read 10,061,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
A few days ago my husband sent me a few emails and they still have not arrived! One email he sent me three days ago just arrived in my mailbox this moring! I always thought emails were suppose to come within a few seconds after pushing the send button.

We checked and the emails that have not arrived were sent using the right address and yahoo mail indicates they were sent. They did not go into my spam box. His name and email account is in my address book.

Do you ever send emails that never arrive at your friend's email mail box or arrive days later? Why does this happen?
No, but I have received a load of Emails that were not to me, and the Email addresses were nothing like mine.

This could explain what has happened.

Maybe this could also be why I don’t get replies to some of my Emails.

I am starting to lose faith in the Internet.

I wouldn’t advise putting any private or personal information in Emails, if this can happen.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:57 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,227,543 times
It would be helpful if you told us what email client you are using

Old 10-06-2010, 08:28 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,155,730 times
The SMTP protocol is very robust. As long as every link in the delivery chain is following the specification and there's no hardware failures, no message should ever be lost. One of two things should happen - the message will be delivered, or an undeliverable notification (bounce) will be sent to the original sender.

That said, not everybody runs a compliant mail server - especially in the age of spam, when all kinds of tricks are employed to thwart the inbound tsunami of unwanted mail.

My guess, based on the fact that you got a message a few days after it was sent, is that the messages were queued for delivery by his outbound server, and for whatever reason, that server couldn't forward the mail any further for a while. Could have been because the receiving server for your domain was down or otherwise unreachable for a period of time, or the server that his service relays mail through was down, etc.

The interval between retry times for mail delivery typically increases as more time passes. For example, if the message can't be delivered immediately, the sending server might try again 5 minutes later. If it still can't deliver the message, it might try 15 minutes later. Then 4 hours, then 12 hours, etc. After a certain amount of time (typically 4 days), the message will be deemed undeliverable and returned to sender.

If, after about 5-7 days, you still haven't received them and he didn't get any bounces (he should check his spam folder, too, as bounces are very often mis-categorized as spam), then you can figure that they got lost somehow or discarded. When that happens, it's always due to one of two reasons - hardware failure or a server being configured in a way that defies the SMTP specification.

None of that probably helps, since all you want is the messages to come through, but at least you (hopefully) have a better understanding of how e-mail works!

Old 10-06-2010, 10:53 AM

23,623 posts, read 70,563,787 times
I've definitely had emails get lost. Rarely have they ever shown up again. FWIW, if you send emails with any attachments other than a jpeg or png, a lot of servers will reject the entire email. I've learned that when I want to send a program I have to mung the extension into one of those and have the recipient change it back.

One situation was especially puzzling. I have a customer in Barbados who was able to receive my emails fine most of the time, and send emails to people in general, but had their email that they sent to me fail not only at the business addy, but an earthlink addy, and a hotmail addy.

In any event, email is not infallible, and some of the rules being set up to trap spam, prevent virus spread, and limit DOS attacks work against it being completely reliable.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,139,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
One situation was especially puzzling. I have a customer in Barbados who was able to receive my emails fine most of the time, and send emails to people in general, but had their email that they sent to me fail not only at the business addy, but an earthlink addy, and a hotmail addy.
Email going into a black hole is usually the result of bad reverse DNS. AOL, Hotmail and many other major ISP's will drop these. The recipient never knew it existed and the sender never gets a notification it wasn't delivered. Commonly this will be where the sender is using the mail server with a hosting plan, the hosting company has to set this up and some of them fail to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet