Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:25 AM

5 posts, read 11,843 times

Advertisements

Hi all - my family will be relocating from St. Louis, MO area to Indy sometime this spring or summer, and I will be looking for a job at a public school. I am a teacher and also certified as a guidance counselor, so I will be looking in both areas for openings. Anyway, here in Missouri, there is a website (MO-REAP) that is a state-wide databank of public school jobs that pretty much every district in the state subscribes to, which makes job searching EXTREMELY easy since all opening in the state are on one website and you do not need to spend time searching through individual websites of each district for job openings. Also you can post your resume to the website where any district in the state can look at it that is looking for a teacher/counselor/whatever. Long story short, I was wondering if such a website existed for the state of Indiana, or even for the metro Indianapolis area. I will probably be searching for jobs in the Carmel/Westfield/Zionsville/Hamilton SE area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 06:32 PM

26 posts, read 103,410 times
School Personnel Job Bank (http://www.doe.in.gov/peer/welcome.html - broken link)

But I gotta tell you--this is a really bad year to be looking in the Indy area. Every local district has to make enormous budget cuts before June due to shrinking state funding. Programs are being slashed right and left--big time stuff, like whole districts eliminating buses and sports programs, schools closing, etc.

I've been a teacher long enough to know that there are always financial worries, every year. This is not the usual stuff--this is BAD. Everyone at my school is worried for his/her job. We will certainly not be hiring anyone new in our district.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news--hope you are able to have a successful move and job hunt, regardless!

Old 02-04-2010, 01:08 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
oh my gosh waldenellis, you are so incredibly spot on!!! the last place I'd be looking for a job is teaching at a public school in Indiana.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:46 PM

5 posts, read 11,843 times
Ugh...that's what I was afraid of. Similar things are happening in St. Louis, although not as bad as Indy from what it sounds like. My husband is the "breadwinner" of the family, so we must go where his job takes us, it is unfortunate that the area we are being transferred to will not be able to offer many job opportunities for myself. Regardless, we are excited about the move to Indianapolis area as we have heard wonderful things about the city and suburbs. Thanks for your input.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:27 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,153,738 times
I believe that even substitute teaching jobs are almost non-existent in this market environment and that was never previously the case.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:20 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
I believe that even substitute teaching jobs are almost non-existent in this market environment and that was never previously the case.
most substitutes are licensed teachers trying to get their foot in the door!

Old 02-06-2010, 03:31 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,905 times
You should try looking at the schools's website too, they often post openings

Old 02-08-2010, 06:58 AM

245 posts, read 683,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
the last place I'd be looking for a job is teaching at a public school in Indiana.
Sadly 100% correct. My wife got her teaching degree and license last year and has completely fallen on her face looking for work. She is a good candidate too, don't get me wrong...IU degree, dean's list, lots of experience for a fresh grad; still, nothing. Luckily, she was able to find a full-time job at a preschool, but the pay is laughable and she definitely didn't need a fancy teaching degree for that job.

Keep looking, but know that you're up against hundreds, maybe thousands of applicants for every position. IU, Purdue, Ball State, Butler, IUPUI, University of Indy, and Wesleyan are all producing fresh education graduates locally. I've heard experience helps, and I've also heard lack of experience (and therefore lower on the pay scale) helps. Just brush up on your interviewing skills and try to give the interviewer a reason that you're better than the 2500 other people that applied for your job.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:02 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.dawsn View Post
Sadly 100% correct. My wife got her teaching degree and license last year and has completely fallen on her face looking for work. She is a good candidate too, don't get me wrong...IU degree, dean's list, lots of experience for a fresh grad; still, nothing. Luckily, she was able to find a full-time job at a preschool, but the pay is laughable and she definitely didn't need a fancy teaching degree for that job.

Keep looking, but know that you're up against hundreds, maybe thousands of applicants for every position. IU, Purdue, Ball State, Butler, IUPUI, University of Indy, and Wesleyan are all producing fresh education graduates locally. I've heard experience helps, and I've also heard lack of experience (and therefore lower on the pay scale) helps. Just brush up on your interviewing skills and try to give the interviewer a reason that you're better than the 2500 other people that applied for your job.
I also have an IU degree and am having a heck of a time finding work. I feel like I completely wasted my time in college. It is like I worked so hard and even took out loans. For what?? An unemployment check? I feel like the five years I spent in college were a total waste. I often wonder if I will ever work again.

My degree is a useless teaching degree. I am willing to move anywhere, but most states aren't hiring. The teacher job market is terrible everywhere. I am thinking my only options are to switch careers or retire at 29.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:00 AM

98 posts, read 389,375 times
I have a teaching degree from Ball State and moved out of the state when I graduated in '07. I'm moving back this summer and plan on getting a job because I'm willing to put myself out there. I'm also willing to work extremely hard to find a job. Lastly, I'm willing to teach where there is an open job. I don't care if it is an alternative school or a charter school...I got in this industry to go where they need me most. I think people that complain about not getting teaching jobs might be too picky on where they want to teach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis