Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 12:04 PM

11 posts, read 25,322 times

Advertisements

Are there very many locals bars? By local I mean where average non-suit people go? Maybe Irish bars?? sports bars??? Mostly Irish bars?? are there many of them around??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 12:05 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
Yes ... again, Broad Ripple.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:06 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,996,986 times
There are bars all over town, not just in Broad Ripple, ranging from places that ONLY locals go to, such as the little hole in the wall neigborhood taverns, to places that are pretty touristy. Broad Ripple is more to the touristy side of the spectrum and caters more to the Butler College crowd, but there are quite a few different bars and pubs there. There are also a good number downtown, more than are in Broad Ripple. There are a lot of sports bars in this town.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:48 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
If I may; there are a few I have been too and enjoyed:

Hamilton County:

Sidelines Sports Bar and Grille; Hwy 37 in Fishers/Noblesville
Britton Tavern: also on Hwy 37

North Indy:

86th Street Pub - at 86th and Michigan
Taylor's Pub - 86th and Ditch (there is another one at 86th/Westfield but I have never been)
Alley Cat - off Broad Ripple Ave; it is off the main drag behind the row of buildings

downtown & surrounding area:

Sam's Saloon - Prospect and State in Fountain Square (cash only; or it was at one time, I always just take cash, not sure if it is still cash only)
Champps - Circle Center - probably not what you are looking for, but a fun place nonetheless
There are two more whose names I can not remember. One is downtown on Washington near the State Capitol and Victory Field. Actualy, I think it is Champ's with one p instead of two like Circle Center's Champps.
Another one is at Meridian and Pleaseant Run Pkwy. I went last weekend after JMV was there.

There is also one at Shelby and Fletcher in Fountain Square that I have not been too. It looks like a standard pub/bar type of place.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:54 PM

11 posts, read 25,322 times
Wow DC Thank you. Very informative!! and thank you to all of the others as well. It has helped.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:18 PM

Downtown-ish:

Fountain Square Diner
Deano's Vino
Radio Radio (non smoking original/alternative music)
Old Point Tavern
Rathskellar (in the Athenium, a historic German-American club from the 1800s, huge biergarten with outside band shell, you have to go here at least once)
Elbow Room
The Distillery
The Slippery Noodle (old, old blues bar)

Broad Ripple-ish:

The Red Key (I think it's cash only and no cussing or the owner will give you hell)
Moe and Johnny's (sports bar but everyone goes here)
The Aristocrat (UK themed pub)
Broad Ripple Brewpub (microbrewery, beer and wine only)
Brugge Brasserie (Belgian style microbrew - warning, might be some suits)
Locals Only (lotsa bands)
The Mousetrap (lotsa jam bands)
The Vogue (smaller national music acts and weekly dance nights/ladies night, etc. Kinda lame but it's been here forever)
Alley Cat (used to really be a smelll-the-puke-on-the-floor dive, now it's just kinda trashy)

Old 02-03-2009, 11:06 PM

34 posts, read 137,332 times
My favorite Irish bar is Fionn MacCools in Fishers MACCOOL'S IRISH PUB
There is also Pat Flynn's at 52nd and Allisonville, The Claddagh isn't local but it is great, and they have locations downtown, north, and Plainfield. There is MacNivens, a Scottish bar on Mass Ave downtown... These are all good, you can't go wrong.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:23 AM

The reason I mention the bars in Broad Ripple because if she lives there, SHE WON'T HAVE TO DRINK AND DRIVE!!!

Old 02-04-2009, 09:56 AM

Good point, domergurl. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the BR bars, but if you're looking for that truly local feel you might want to get away from the strip a little bit. But BR is still a great neighborhood to live in. I just didn't want her to think BR is the ONLY place in town where there are fun places to go.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:36 AM

Agreed Nap. That's the big problem with moderate sized cities like Indy ... for young-uns, driving from bar to bar is a gross reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis