Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 01:36 AM

146 posts, read 517,411 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen a list of family activities for the area in this forum. I'm probably unaware of a lot of them but I'm wondering if these are common activities/places people from Indie go. Can anyone give me opinions on these places?

1 hr or less drives to canoe at Tippiecanoe River
2 hr drives to ski at Lawrenceburg and Paoli, IN
8 hr drives to ski at Snowshoe, WV (1500 verticle drop)
4 1/2 hr drives to Cedar Point amuzement park at Sandusky, OH
2:45 hr drives to Indiana Dunes State Park and beach

I read on this forum a post mentioning a water park in Carmel, an indoor water park in the area, and another outdoor park being built in Fishers. Are these good parks (fun for the entire family instead of just young kids)? Do they compare to the water park in Merrilville, IN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 06:35 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,068,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benandgrace View Post
I haven't seen a list of family activities for the area in this forum. I'm probably unaware of a lot of them but I'm wondering if these are common activities/places people from Indie go. Can anyone give me opinions on these places?

1 hr or less drives to canoe at Tippiecanoe River
2 hr drives to ski at Lawrenceburg and Paoli, IN
8 hr drives to ski at Snowshoe, WV (1500 verticle drop)
4 1/2 hr drives to Cedar Point amuzement park at Sandusky, OH
2:45 hr drives to Indiana Dunes State Park and beach

I read on this forum a post mentioning a water park in Carmel, an indoor water park in the area, and another outdoor park being built in Fishers. Are these good parks (fun for the entire family instead of just young kids)? Do they compare to the water park in Merrilville, IN?

All of those are awesome ideas we have been camping up by the Tippecanoe River before. very cool place to canoe and camp.

Indiana Dunes is a great family fun place.

The water park you mention in Carmel is called The Monon Center. It is a replica the Plainfield Recreation and Aquatic Center. Dont say you havent been warned admission is pretty pricy there. as for a Water Park in Fishers I havent heard of it and I live in the Indy area. I didnt know that Merrilville had a water park!

Old 01-16-2009, 07:27 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times
King's Island is also very family friendly in the burbs of Cincinnati ... and I've never had a bad time at Newport Aquarium across the river from Cincy.

There are other canoeing options other than the Tippecanoe River.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:45 AM

6 posts, read 14,351 times
Here are a few more ideas...
The Children's Museum in downtown Indy is a great place too.
The Indianapolis Zoo is awesome.
My family used to do day trips to Turkey Run State Park and Brown County State Park too.
Skiing at Boyne Mountain or Crystal Mountain in Michigan is great. Also Seven Springs in Pennsylvania is awesome.

The water park in Fishers isn't build yet.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:26 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,999,504 times
You'd want to hit Kings Island before Cedar Point, probably. I like Cedar Point, and being from up north originally that's where we used to go, but King's Island is a lot closer and has some great rollercoasters. Louisville is also about 2 hours away and has Kentucky Kingdom (I think - never been there). There is canoeing and kayaking right in Indianapolis on the White River, but it's not exactly a peaceful nature setting - nicer than you'd think, though, because there aren't a lot of houses or businesses on the river. You also have Eagle Creek park, which has a dammed In Southern Indiana, Brown County, Hoosier National Forest, and some other nice outdoors areas are pretty close. Southern Indiana is quite hilly, much more so than central and north. People go caving down there, if that interests you. It's quite a bit like Southern Illinois, but probably even more hilly. The Dunes are nice, but haven't been there in a long time, not since high school.

Other ideas:

Conner Prairie - this is an 1800s historical reenactment site that our family really enjoyed, and is in Noblesville. My kids (2 and 3) had more fun here than at the zoo, and we felt it was much more affordable. The zoo is okay, but it's relatively expensive - and you even have to pay to park.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:22 PM

34 posts, read 137,434 times
I think the Zoo still has Community Days on the first Tuesday of every month, admission is cut in half (to $7.00.) I love going to Cedar Point, but I have found that it is a bit longer of a drive than that. It is worth it, though. Kings Island has a better kids area, and they are also building a great new roller coaster that is set to open this year. If you plan on going to both in a year, they are both Cedar Fairs parks so you can get an annual pass that gets you into all the Cedar Fair parks and that can end up saving you money.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:47 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,753,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott326 View Post
I think the Zoo still has Community Days on the first Tuesday of every month, admission is cut in half (to $7.00.) I love going to Cedar Point, but I have found that it is a bit longer of a drive than that. It is worth it, though. Kings Island has a better kids area, and they are also building a great new roller coaster that is set to open this year. If you plan on going to both in a year, they are both Cedar Fairs parks so you can get an annual pass that gets you into all the Cedar Fair parks and that can end up saving you money.
Kings Island in the north Cincinnati suburbs, and Kentucky Kingdom in Louisville are both within an hour and a half from downtown Indy.

Kings Island is much larger with much larger and better coasters. However, Kentucky Kingdom in Louisville is almost always cheaper, especially for families if you bring coke cans. Also, I believe Kentucky Kingdom is much more family friendly with its Looney Tunes characters walking around and brand new kids water park. Otherwise, the family friendly rides and games in both parks are similar. Also, the hotels around Kentucky Kingdom, located in a much cheaper area more demographically similar to the southside of Indy (or perhaps Speedway), cost much less than in the north Cincinnati suburbs by Kings Island, which is in a suburban county similar to Hamilton County (Carmel) Indiana. Both Cincinnati and Louisville are wonderful day trips with a much more historic, neighborhoody feel in both cities than what you find in Indianapolis.

If you are looking for mega coasters, do Cedar Point. Otherwise, it is likely not worth the extra long drive, plus being up north with more cooler temps, especially in the Spring and Fall.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:11 AM

438 posts, read 1,360,829 times
Holiday World is 2.5 hours from Indy according to their website, but going from Indy when we take the nieces we usually end up making it in 2 hours flat unless lanes are down on I65. Decent admission, free parking, free soft drinks, cute themes, wonderful costumed characters wandering about. Also discounts for military families, seniors, anyone with a pepsi product in-hand, etc.

Splash Island in Plainfield is nice but a bit too crowded for my tastes. I prefer the Gill Family Aquatic center in Danville. Tidal pools, water slide, lap/swim pools, etc. Decent admission, and the life guards actually pay attention and keep order.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:24 PM

146 posts, read 517,411 times
Thanks, everybody, for a bunch of good tips. Indie seems to be central to a lot of activities. Hopefully Carmel or some place near Indie will get a major waterpark like in Porter or Crown Point/Merilville. Any lake beach would be nice too, but oh well, that will give me another reason to visit family in Valparaiso often during the summer. I'm wondering if there's any canoeing spots within 3 or even 5 hours from Indie similar to Current River near Salem/Van Buren MO. Anyway, I'm looking forward to moving to the Indie area even more now. I hope I won't have to wait too long.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:45 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,302,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat321 View Post
Holiday World is 2.5 hours from Indy according to their website, but going from Indy when we take the nieces we usually end up making it in 2 hours flat unless lanes are down on I65. Decent admission, free parking, free soft drinks, cute themes, wonderful costumed characters wandering about. Also discounts for military families, seniors, anyone with a pepsi product in-hand, etc.
Holiday World is great. I can also get there in two hours coming from Indianapolis. The free drinks only adds to what is already a great park.

I would not waste any time at Kentucky Kingdom. Last time I was there, they charged to rent the inner tubes in the water park; and the water park is not even that great. They nickel and dime you for everything at Ky Kingdom. I never returned after my one and only visit there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis