Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 08:34 AM

5 posts, read 11,592 times

Advertisements

We are hoping to relocated to Northern Indianapolis area. Trying to decide between Fishers, Noblesville, and Westfield. Schools and crime rate are low in each place, which is a plus. Here are the things we are looking for. Would love thoughts/opinions about which city to narrow our search to. Thank you!
-walking/bike trails
-healthy food (organic) options
-friendly people
-opportunities for our kids to be involved in sports (I noticed the high schools are fairly large, so this might not be an option)
-Lastly, we would like to avoid strict HOAs where we have to spray our yard with chemicals. Is there a place that would be more of a natural feel and not heavily sprayed?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 08:03 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
While I lived in Carmel, Westfield and especially Noblesville have more rural, relaxed options, especially on the far north sides of those communities venturing out toward Madison and Tipton counties.

Fishers is congested hell around the 116/146 St. exits especially. 116 backed up from Carmel in the morning to a crawl frequently when I left in 2016, and it was worse last year when I was back for a visit.

HOAs are common, but again, look north in the cities' least developed areas. Walking and bike trails are common. Fishers has Sprouts, Fresh Market, Carmel has Whole Foods, all the cities (I think) have farmer's markets with organic options. Broad Ripple Farmer's Market was best.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:29 PM

174 posts, read 243,464 times
Westfield is a little further for travel depending on where you need to get to though Carmel has done a pretty good job with US 31 and Keystone to get you south towards Indy area and those are busy traffic wise but don't seem as bad as getting to Noblesville or Fishers. It still has a lot of room to grow farmland and other wise. They have Grand Park for all sorts of sports and is used by the Colts and other professionals to train, but also allows for youth teams places to train and many tournaments to play in. Monon running trail runs through Westfield as do several other trails.

I would probably look at Noblesville next they also have more room to grow and many trail systems for running (Nickel Plate and White River Greenway). They are also very close to several parks like Strawtown Park. I think of the 3 communities they have the smallest HS so your children would have an easier time then maybe getting involved in sports.

Fishers would be my last choice. It has some great amenities and activities and maybe gets you closer to work so less travel time, but is, as Serious Conversation said, the most congested traffic wise due to its proximity to 465 and 69. It also has the biggest businesses in IKEA, Top Golf, and others that means more people trying to access those shopping or unique stores.

All 3 have access to great schools, safe communities, shopping for healthy food, etc. I think that the HOA will depend more on the cost of the homes than necessarily the community you choose. I find that the more expensive the homes and neighborhood the stricter the HOA to maintain that image of luxury. Just my observations. I could be wrong. I again agree too with Serious Conversation that I think if you get more into those neighborhoods on more of the outskirts or even ones with more acreage you'll probably find the HOA to be less strict.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:16 PM

Thank you for your replies! This is very helpful.
I have one more question about Westfield. I noticed that the elementary schools in Westfield are rated very differently. Is there any we would want to avoid sending our children to?

Old 05-18-2020, 02:27 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,145,915 times
I was given this link a couple of years ago from someone on City-Data.com (very helpful), and I'll share it once more:

https://www.schooldigger.com/

It has some fairly detailed demographic data which should give you some idea about the different schools.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:26 PM

174 posts, read 243,464 times
Also check out the official Indiana Dept of Education data website. You can look at any school and all districts. My guess would be test scores for lower ranking, but I don't know Westfield schools enough to say for sure. I pulled up Westfield in the link for you already.

https://compass.doe.in.gov/dashboard...e=corp&id=3030

Old 05-18-2020, 08:39 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I think the schools will be dependent upon what you personally are used to.

From my perspective, any elementary school in Westfield or Noblesville will be better than all but the top-rated schools in my local area. The parents are generally professionals, they care about education, etc. If your reference point is rural Tennessee, those schools look good. If your reference point is upscale suburban Chicago, those schools may be inferior.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:36 AM

Thank you for your reply!

Old 05-23-2020, 09:31 AM

Any thoughts on Zionsville. Wondering if we should consider this city in our search.

Old 05-23-2020, 06:36 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,145,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam17 View Post
Any thoughts on Zionsville. Wondering if we should consider this city in our search.
I would definitely give Zionsville a look. There seems to be a pretty wide range of properties available there, all the way from huge/stately and expensive to those with a bit more of a rural vibe.

And since you're concerned about potential HOA issues, look for homes with low HOA fees or none at all. I figure a very low HOA fee means the HOA won't be too intensely involved in every little thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis