Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2008, 01:32 AM

12 posts, read 34,377 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am looking for some quick advice about an area of the city. We are a young couple moving to Indianapolis, and we found and toured a condo in Guion Creek Woods, near 56th & Georgetown. Being unfamiliar with the area, what I saw was that, the intersection looked shady, but either side of that intersection looks like mostly recent development. I noticed all the office development on the NW side. I kind of get the feeling this area is right in the middle of a transition. Is this area relatively safe? I know a couple miles south is 38th street, I'll be sure to avoid that area, but do you have any thoughts on the area I am looking at?

Any help would be appreciated, I checked out the IMPD crime thing, vandalism seems to be lower than Castleton, but personal crime is slightly higher, mostly right around that intersection's shopping area. I understand that Metro Indy will have some crime, but is this area really bad? Improving?

Thanks, Justin & Lauren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 04:26 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
Personal opinion only. I have never liked the area. Lots of housing but lots of apartments with a transient population. Some will say the Walmart and Garden Ridge store are "improving" the neighborhood. In addition, a lot of changes have been made to the roads due to the traffic. I stay away because of Lafayette Square and the fact that the stores I liked moved away. Remember if you are buying, you need to think about selling. We do visit the area for our favorite restaurant and the Asian markets.

There are better areas. However, if you job is in that immediate neighborhood and if you stay mobile (no condo), it could save you money in the long run and you could make a case for a lower commute.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:04 AM

86 posts, read 295,817 times
Personally, I am not a huge fan of that area either. What price range are you looking in...maybe I could suggest a few areas.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:55 PM

891 posts, read 2,450,519 times
I would not live in that area. But you will get more for your money there. So if you don't have any kids (yet) and are willing to live in a less than great area, it might make financial sense.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,669 times
I know this is an old post. I was wondering if you moved there because I saw a great condo in the same subdivision. I don't think it's that bad of an area. I mean what part of Indy is excellent? Carmel/Clay area is too far of a drive to inner-city (if that's where you work) & always congested driving. Plus robbery has gone up a lot since people think it's safe and leave their belongs unlocked. Greenwood is too far, smell is horrid in my opinion, and it's not diverse. Avon is pretty nice from what I have seen but still you don't want to live too far out... Speedway is a small cute town and offers Speedway racing. (Where I live) Mostly I think the Westside of Indy is the best and probably one of the most reasonable priced. You can still be in another township but still close enough to civilization. I really like the commute from here as it's 15 minutes to downtown. Pike and Washington township are great and IPS is great on Westside. From here its about 20-30 or less minutes to Carmel, Avon, Brownsburg, Speedway and more. Who cares about Lafayette Mall and Wal-Mart. They're just convenient if you don't want to drive. I like driving though lol. That's all just my opinion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis