Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 12:52 PM

56 posts, read 75,654 times

Advertisements

This is one of the worst and most inaccurate thread I've seen on this forum...and that says a lot.

Have to love the trolls though that know everything about Indy because they've visited a couple times.

Like the moron from Columbus who believes a 500k home has 15k in property taxes. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 04:17 AM

5 posts, read 7,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexxiBoi83 View Post
Nice to hear the truth from an Indy native about how boring & apathetic this city really is! Too many disillusioned folks in here trying to prop Indy as something it ain't. Go to Chicago to see how a Midwest city is supposed to THRIVE in the 21st century.

Chicago is a mega city. It is the third largest in the nation. Again, you are comparing apples to oranges. We don't have the population to be like Chicago. I love Chicago - it is a world class city. Indianapolis is okay. It is getting better - a lot of development downtown. We will never be Chicago. You have to compare cities that are similar in size. You also have to consider the metro area. While Indianapolis is the second largest city, by population, in the midwest (after Chicago) it has quite a small metro area, meaning the surrounding counties are still quite rural and small.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve... View Post
20.4% poverty rate, high crime, poor infrastructure, bad schools, dirty air, and don't get me started on the open sewage stream that is the White River.
White River is really horrible. The smell. I knew someone that lived west of the river and her whole house would smell like sewage at times. We can build stadiums but can't fix our sewage problems.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:51 AM

I moved to Indianapolis in 2002 and I feel I have outgrown Indy. Like one poster said, it just depends on what you are looking for in a city. I like cities like Chicago that are large, densely populated, have public transportation, and world class museums, restaurants, and shopping. Does that mean that Indianapolis is bad? Not at all. It is a great city with a very safe downtown. It just isn't for me anymore - doesn't make it bad though. Many people love living here and Indianapolis really has more than anyone needs. I really just depends on your personality.

BTW I don't understand the comment about Indy being in decline. If anything, the reverse is true. There has been development in the Fall Creek area, Fountain Square, downtown has see a huge residential population increase. Downtown is much more pedestrian friendly (although, still needs some work. Try walking across Washington or Pennsylvania on a busy day) and vibrant than it was just a few years ago. We have great hotels including the Conrad and JW Marriott. Don't think they would invest in Indy if it was on the decline.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:01 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IUGrad2009 View Post
White River is really horrible. The smell. I knew someone that lived west of the river and her whole house would smell like sewage at times. We can build stadiums but can't fix our sewage problems.
To be fair, they are currently building a giant tunnel so the raw sewage stops getting dumped into our rivers and creeks.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:31 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolentDisasters View Post
Really? Because Nashville has a unigov much like Indy, and it's thriving.
I like a lot of things about Nashville, and while the recent growth has benefits, it also has downsides. Prices have gone up there way faster than incomes. A lot of the cool things in Nashville that gave it a sense of place are being pushed out by wealthy gentrifiers, many from up north. The same isn't happening in Indy.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:41 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IUGrad2009 View Post
I moved to Indianapolis in 2002 and I feel I have outgrown Indy. Like one poster said, it just depends on what you are looking for in a city. I like cities like Chicago that are large, densely populated, have public transportation, and world class museums, restaurants, and shopping. Does that mean that Indianapolis is bad? Not at all. It is a great city with a very safe downtown. It just isn't for me anymore - doesn't make it bad though. Many people love living here and Indianapolis really has more than anyone needs. I really just depends on your personality.

BTW I don't understand the comment about Indy being in decline. If anything, the reverse is true. There has been development in the Fall Creek area, Fountain Square, downtown has see a huge residential population increase. Downtown is much more pedestrian friendly (although, still needs some work. Try walking across Washington or Pennsylvania on a busy day) and vibrant than it was just a few years ago. We have great hotels including the Conrad and JW Marriott. Don't think they would invest in Indy if it was on the decline.
There are areas of the city that are doing well, but it's the bad parts that routinely make the news. While we do here good, it's much more prevalent to hear "on the east side, <fill in the blank of violent crime>"

Old 03-26-2015, 09:17 AM

56 posts, read 75,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
There are areas of the city that are doing well, but it's the bad parts that routinely make the news. While we do here good, it's much more prevalent to hear "on the east side, <fill in the blank of violent crime>"
There is basically about 8 square miles where almost all the violent crime in Indy occurs....out of a city nearly 400 sq miles in size. Random violent crime is not common, it's predominately people who know each other, often involving drug/other criminal activity. The city does have a growing heroin problem, that I believe is the root cause....but that is a nationwide issue since the crack down on prescription drug abuse.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:27 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times
Indy is doing great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis